Thoughts on Polyamory or open Relationships?

Naiwen

Religious Affiliation
Other Religion
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
No
Well, it's my personal and most humble opinion that aside from the possibility to contract many STDs with multiple partners, it's immoral and unethical. I've had a few ex-friends who were in an open relationship and have been wanting me to accept it. I won't compromise my self-respect, dignity and integrity by stooping myself to their level. I don't know why they can't be satisfied with 1 unique life partner. Why do you have to be with multiple partners at once? It's hard for me to fathom and understand how they manage the jealousy, drama, fights and conflicts with multiple partners in an open relationship. I don't like this idea at all. How do you feel about this yourself? I feel strongly against it because it's highly immoral, unethical and disrespectful for me personally. But, what about you personally? Would you be in a open relationship or marriage? with several partners at once?

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Personally I believe that people have the right to form open relationships, as long as everyone involved knows what they are getting into and consents to the arrangement. At the end of the day it's not my business what other people do in their bedrooms. As far as what is legally permitted is concerned I wouldn't have a problem with multiple people forming some kind of legal association that would look like a secular marriage where all the secular benefits and costs of marriage were available (joint tax returns, joint ownership of property, legal arrangements for formal dissolution to free one or more members etc).

I have no interest in being a part of such a relationship.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
IMO, this is a CHURCH - STATE issue..... The Kingdom of God's RIGHT hand (the church) and the Kingdom of God's LEFT hand (the secular state). They are different. They SHOULD be (in a perfect world) complimentary and supportive but....

To the secular, civil state: I don't think it should matter who is living with whom or even who is having sex with whom - as long as it is FULLY and COMPLETELY mutually agreeable and among adults (and maybe not as a business). And I'm personally not at all against the godless, secular, civil state acknowledging "civil unions" or "personal corporations" where any number of persons (of any gender) for a legal union for legal and economic reasons. That sort of thing is very much the stuff of secular government. I just disagree with the secular, civil state decides to call such "marriage" and "family".... and when it argues that such is not just legal but "moral" and "righteous" and must be regarded as such by all citizens.

To the church: While anyone can live with anyone, only married persons may have sex, marriage is one man and one woman joined by God in a religious ceremony, family are humans related to each other by blood or marrage. Sex outside of marriage is SIN. There is no much thing as "marriage" among those of the same gender.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
To the secular, civil state: I don't think it should matter who is living with whom or even who is having sex with whom - as long as it is FULLY and COMPLETELY mutually agreeable and among adults (and maybe not as a business). And I'm personally not at all against the godless, secular, civil state acknowledging "civil unions" or "personal corporations" where any number of persons (of any gender) for a legal union for legal and economic reasons. That sort of thing is very much the stuff of secular government. I just disagree with the secular, civil state decides to call such "marriage" and "family".... and when it argues that such is not just legal but "moral" and "righteous" and must be regarded as such by all citizens.

Serious question here - from the perspective of a secular, civil state why does it matter if cohabiting and/or sexual activity become a business? If it's lawful in the eyes of the secular state for two or more people two live together and/or have sex with each other, does it change anything if one or more parties to the arrangement are present for the financial rewards?

To be clear, I understand there are issues with human trafficking and forced prostitution - I'm talking purely of the adult who consents to engage in sexual activity for money.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Josiah said:
(and maybe not as a business)

Serious question here - from the perspective of a secular, civil state why does it matter if cohabiting and/or sexual activity become a business? If it's lawful in the eyes of the secular state for two or more people two live together and/or have sex with each other, does it change anything if one or more parties to the arrangement are present for the financial rewards?

To be clear, I understand there are issues with human trafficking and forced prostitution - I'm talking purely of the adult who consents to engage in sexual activity for money.

Only that in secular government, not everything is granted a business license. The secular government saying something is not illegal is not the same as saying ERGO you have a busness license to do it. Government can legislate, regulate and even forbid businesses - if only in a given locale.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Only that in secular government, not everything is granted a business license. The secular government saying something is not illegal is not the same as saying ERGO you have a busness license to do it. Government can legislate, regulate and even forbid businesses - if only in a given locale.

At present, although one might ask why the government needs to be involved in licensing many businesses.

I often figure if people wouldn't inherently know that a business is taking place the government probably has no business regulating it. Otherwise you end up in all sorts of silly situations where things are legal or not depending on how activities are being defined rather than what is actually happening.

If it's legal to go to the bar, chat up someone you find attractive, buy them a drink or two and end up taking them home, why should it be any less legal to cut the drinks and simply offer them hard cash to go home with you?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I believe it is unethical and unbiblical. Though many people in the Old Testament had more than one wife

Member4592

There's people out there who have more than one partner. I don't do it because anyone you get with comes with plenty of their own issues. It's easier to focus on one woman's problems than it is on 2 or 3 other women. No matter how big or small those problems are.

Top Bottom