Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Does this juxtaposition (or comparison rather) of the passages in Isaiah and Wisdom concerning the "suffering servant", reveal the prophecy of Christ's passion and crucifixion on the cross and detail the inner motives of His persecutors?

Please read in full, thank you
(Isaiah 53:1-12/Wisdom 2 1:24)

Who hath believed our report?

and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?

For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation?

for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors

For the ungodly said reasoning with themselves:

"Our life is short and tedious, and in the death of a man there is no remedy: neither was there any man known to have returned from the grave.

For we are born at all adventure: and we shall be hereafter as though we had never been: for the breath in our nostrils is as smoke, and a little spark in the moving of our heart: Which being extinguished, our body shall be turned into ashes, and our spirit shall vanish as the soft air and our name shall be forgotten in time.

No man shall have our works in remembrance, and our life shall pass away as the trace of a cloud, and shall be dispersed as a mist, that is driven away with the beams of the sun, and overcome with the heat thereof, for our time is a very shadow that passeth away; and after our end there is no returning: for it is fast sealed, so that no man cometh again.

Come on therefore, let us enjoy the good things that are present: and let us speedily use the creatures like as in youth.

Let us fill ourselves with costly wine and ointments: and let no flower of the spring pass by us: Let us crown ourselves with rosebuds, before they be withered: Let none of us go without his part of our voluptuousness: let us leave tokens of our joyfulness in every place: for this is our portion, and our lot is this.

Let us oppress the poor righteous man let us not spare the widow, nor reverence the ancient gray hairs of the aged
Let our strength be the law of justice: for that which is feeble is found to be nothing worth. Therefore let us lie in wait for the righteous; because he is not for our turn, and he is clean contrary to our doings: he upbraideth us with our offending the law, and objecteth to our infamy the transgressings of our education.

He professeth to have the knowledge of God: and he calleth himself the child of the Lord.

He was made to reprove our thoughts. He is grievous unto us even to behold: for his life is not like other men's, his ways are of another fashion.

We are esteemed of him as counterfeits: he abstaineth from our ways as from filthiness: he pronounceth the end of the just to be blessed, and maketh his boast that God is his father.

Let us see if his words be true: and let us prove what shall happen in the end of him.

For if the just man be the son of God, he will help him, and deliver him from the hand of his enemies.

Let us examine him with despitefulness and torture, that we may know his meekness, and prove his patience. Let us condemn him with a shameful death: for by his own saying he shall be respected."

Such things they did imagine and were deceived:

For their own wickedness hath blinded them. As for the mysteries of God, they knew them not: neither hoped they for the wages of righteousness, nor discerned a reward for blameless souls.

For God created man to be immortal, and made him to be an image of his own eternity.

Nevertheless through envy of the devil came death into the world: and they that do hold of his side do find it

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I remember a user named Contra_Mundum who posted responses here in this thread and are a fitting response to this thread too:

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I remember a user named Contra_Mundum who posted responses here in this thread and are a fitting response to this thread too:

I still cannot get around the '400 years without a prophet = no inspired scripture' concept.

The Book of Wisdom was written between prophets 50 years before the last great prophets, "Elijah/John" and Christ Jesus/"The Prophet", Moses and Malachi both detail the arrival of these two prophets.. The Book of Wisdom like many OT wisdom books contain prophetic foreshadowing, this being of the crucifixion likened to psalms ... so im confused to why any Christian would ever suggest that the line of prophets ended 400 years before the Christ.

Jesus IS the Spirit of Prophecy, he continuously prophesied about the last days and even of certain disciples the night before his arrest.

The book of Revelation is not Johns revelation, it's the Revelation of Jesus Christ shown to John.

So around 50 BC God is still working through his penmen with great precision, I mean it details the godless having ambitions to plan on torturing a poor righteous man who claims to be the son of God and has the wisdom of God, they leave the child of God to suffer a humiliating death and taunt him by saying if he truly is the son of God then God would come down and save him...

How is that "not inspired"?
Because the Jews rejected this very bold prophetic book after the fact?
Such a short lived prophetic scripture about Christ Jesus would easily be forgotten in that generation of unbelieving Jews and rejected just as quickly as they rejected him.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I still cannot get around the '400 years without a prophet = no inspired scripture' concept.

We also have no prophets between Genesis and the call of Abraham as well as the last 2,000 years.

eddif

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I am not into the wisdom literature. I believe we have hints and an example of error and warning that human contemplation on some literature may have caused problems.
I Peter 1:10 kjv
10. Of which salvation the prophets have inquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:
11. Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.

The error of Peter. (About Christ’s suffering)
Matthew 16:24 kjv
22. Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.

The rebuke of Peter
Matthew 16:24

But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

The suffering of Jesus had been prophesied. Jesus seems to have fully known his calling, but Peter was in the dark. Peters response to Jesus speaking of Christ’s suffering was (in a sense) an upside down prophecy.

Upside down prophecies are somewhat common.
Acts 21:10 kjv
10. And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain prophet, named Agabus.
11. And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.
12. And when we heard these things, both we, and they of that place, besought him not to go up to Jerusalem.
13. Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.

Paul knew from the beginning of his calling (he would suffer).
Prophets may get a message, but turn the interpretation upside down. Carnal thinking is part of humanity. Much prayer is needed to interpret what is prophesied.

Look at the content of the second prophesy. Do you see?
Romans 6:1 kjv
1. What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

2. God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
hat shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

The introduction prophecy of grace seems right, but the lifestyle is wrong.

Mississippi redneck
eddif.

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What about Enoch and Noah?

I messed up what I was trying to write. Sorry about that. Yes, you are correct that Enoch and Noah were prophets.

Andrew expressed surprise that God was silent 400 years...but how about all the years from Adam until Abraham? Genesis happens very quickly and then we reach Abraham. How many years do you think it was between prophets?

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I messed up what I was trying to write. Sorry about that. Yes, you are correct that Enoch and Noah were prophets.

Andrew expressed surprise that God was silent 400 years...but how about all the years from Adam until Abraham? Genesis happens very quickly and then we reach Abraham. How many years do you think it was between prophets?

One thing that I think people have made a mistake on is the idea that it has to be prophecy coming from a prophet in order to be the Word of God.

The very people who use this logic say that Ezra is not a prophet, and yet Ezra is the Word of God.

But even if Ezra is not a prophet, he was a high priest. The Maccabees were also in the lineage of the high priest. Simon Maccabees served as their high priest.

eddif

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The general rule was that a male prophet or possibly an angel spoke forth the word / will of God.
Balaam was a man talking with God (prophet?), but his motives were not pure. Gods anger was against Balaam, and thus the following incident.

When the man failed, the following might be used:
A female prophetess of God.
In this case a female donkey spoke in actions and words,

Exceptions can be found:
Numbers 22:22 kjv
22. And God's anger was kindled because he went: and the angel of the LORD stood in the way for an adversary against him. Now he was riding upon his ass, and his two servants werewith him.
23. And the ass saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and the ass turned aside out of the way, and went into the field: and Balaam smote the ass, to turn her into the way.
24.But the angel of the LORD stood in a path of the vineyards, a wall being on this side, and a wall on that side.
25.And when the ass saw the angel of the LORD, she thrust herself unto the wall, and crushed Balaam's foot against the wall: and he smote her again.
26. And the angel of the LORD went further, and stood in a narrow place, where was no way to turn either to the right hand or to the left.
27. And when the ass saw the angel of the LORD, she fell down under Balaam: and Balaam's anger was kindled, and he smote the ass with a staff.
28. And the LORD opened the mouth of the ass, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?
29. And Balaam said unto the ass, Because thou hast mocked me: I would there were a sword in mine hand, for now would I kill thee.
30. And the ass said unto Balaam, Am not I thine ass, upon which thou hast ridden ever since I was thine unto this day? was I ever wont to do so unto thee? And he said, Nay.
31. Then the LORD opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, with his drawn sword in his hand. And he bowed down and fell on his face.

Now this is not a messianic prophesy, but related to who speaks the word of God.

A high priest did not declare Jesus (the lamb of God) clean, but a Roman official did.

On the day of Pentecost Sons and Daughters were allowed to prophesy.

This is an extremely complicated interwoven subject. And, I have said about all I know.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Top Bottom