Jazzy

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
how aggravating is it to go to a family members or friends house only to spend most of your time fixing their devices?

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I know enough people who are techie geeks that it's not just me they call on. I do remember a time I was on vacation and visiting a friend who looked as if they wanted to ask something but weren't sure if they should. Eventually she said something like "I know you're on vacation but do you know anything about...?", describing a technical problem she had. She was pleased I was able to help her with it, but was visibly annoyed at the fact I solved her problem in less time than it took for her to describe it, having already spent nearly two days trying to figure it out herself. I don't mind helping with things like that :)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We do that at my dad's house because my husband is IT and my dad trusts him the most with anything technical. So they sit in the basement for an hour or two tweaking whatever needs fixing.

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Most IT people are used to dealing with the parents or kids. It's when it goes beyond that that it would be annoying. I knew a 12 year old a few years ago who was tearing his hair out because his parents kept clicking on links they shouldn't. He needed parental control software. But most people consider it part of your family commitment.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Most IT people are used to dealing with the parents or kids. It's when it goes beyond that that it would be annoying. I knew a 12 year old a few years ago who was tearing his hair out because his parents kept clicking on links they shouldn't. He needed parental control software. But most people consider it part of your family commitment.

Most people, meaning the ones who don't actually have to do the work, right?

It's something curious about IT. If you had a family member who was a dentist you wouldn't expect them to provide a quick filling at zero notice if you stopped round for dinner. You wouldn't expect a psychiatrist to diagnose little Jimmy's issues just because you felt like mentioning it right now. But if you're in IT nobody seems to think twice about expecting you to spend hours fixing their laptop.

Lucian Hodoboc

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Most people, meaning the ones who don't actually have to do the work, right?

It's something curious about IT. If you had a family member who was a dentist you wouldn't expect them to provide a quick filling at zero notice if you stopped round for dinner. You wouldn't expect a psychiatrist to diagnose little Jimmy's issues just because you felt like mentioning it right now. But if you're in IT nobody seems to think twice about expecting you to spend hours fixing their laptop.
We are called to use our special abilities to help our brethren, are we not?

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We are called to use our special abilities to help our brethren, are we not?

That doesn't mean doing endless work for free during what was supposed to be a social visit. Unless you're trying to say that a doctor should also be ready to diagnose a mystery rash in after-dinner conversation, or a dentist should provide a quick filling before lunch with zero notice.

Lucian Hodoboc

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Unless you're trying to say that a doctor should also be ready to diagnose a mystery rash in after-dinner conversation, or a dentist should provide a quick filling before lunch with zero notice.
In my humble opinion, if they have the proper utensils to do so, they should. Otherwise, they should invite the person requiring assistance to visit their office or clinic as soon as possible.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
In my humble opinion, if they have the proper utensils to do so, they should. Otherwise, they should invite the person requiring assistance to visit their office or clinic as soon as possible.

For what it's worth I think that if you want a substantial amount of someone's professional expertise you need to offer something in exchange for it. It's one thing to ask for a quick favor from someone you know but another thing entirely to expect them to spend extended time on something, especially if you just drop it on them when they didn't expect it.

If someone asks me if I'd be free to look at their laptop I can consider what's required, when I might have time and indeed whether I want to take on the responsibility for it at all. If someone invites me round for dinner and then suddenly drops a detailed technical problem on me, expecting me to spend a substantial time out of what I'd expected to be a social evening, I'd take a pretty dim view of it. It seems to me that it's a pretty basic courtesy to add the request to the invite, even if it is in the form of "Hey, are you free for dinner on Wednesday? It would be great to see you. If it's an easy enough fix would you mind taking a look at my laptop while you're here?" - at least that way everything is on the table and we all know where we stand.

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
For what it's worth I think that if you want a substantial amount of someone's professional expertise you need to offer something in exchange for it. It's one thing to ask for a quick favor from someone you know but another thing entirely to expect them to spend extended time on something, especially if you just drop it on them when they didn't expect it.

If someone asks me if I'd be free to look at their laptop I can consider what's required, when I might have time and indeed whether I want to take on the responsibility for it at all. If someone invites me round for dinner and then suddenly drops a detailed technical problem on me, expecting me to spend a substantial time out of what I'd expected to be a social evening, I'd take a pretty dim view of it. It seems to me that it's a pretty basic courtesy to add the request to the invite, even if it is in the form of "Hey, are you free for dinner on Wednesday? It would be great to see you. If it's an easy enough fix would you mind taking a look at my laptop while you're here?" - at least that way everything is on the table and we all know where we stand.

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

Within every discretionary choice of charity an individual gives freely if possible.
And reward is welcomed when appreciation is offered sincerely.

The scenario of working without monetary compensation is balanced and harmonized in judging each circumstantial situation.

If a person is able to offer an expertise freely.
I say do so.
To refrain and extort such knowledge is considered a crime in the school of thought I come from.

Blessings Always

Last edited:
Top Bottom