Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Does your church do funeral meals? Is there a protocol or guideline in place? Do the church ladies provide everything or does the family buy the meats and their families bring the salads and the church offers dessert? Or do they cater?

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I can't recall any of the churches I have gone to "do" a funeral meal. It's not usually a church event. But I have seen church members provide food and all sorts of things, and do the cleanup for the grieving family at the church. The churches I have been to, do not charge for their facilities, so they can be used at anytime for just about anything. Some of the churches I've been to have a small budget to help out.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Does your church do funeral meals? Is there a protocol or guideline in place? Do the church ladies provide everything or does the family buy the meats and their families bring the salads and the church offers dessert? Or do they cater?

Our church has a kitchen and a lot of volunteers who prepare funeral meals, at least for church members who died. I'm not involved in that myself so don't really know what, if anything, the family of the deceased is expected to provide.

If someone unrelated to the church wants to use the church for a funeral that's usually something we can work with but there's usually some form of charge to use the facilities. If they want a sound engineer, use of the kitchen etc we don't usually expect volunteers to cover everything for someone who was nothing to do with the church.

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Most of the churches I've been to do not provide the food, but volunteers will help prepare it if the family buys it. Otherwise, it's usually catered.

For my own funeral, I'll prepare ahead of time if possible, and it will be an afternoon tea with traditional English fingerling sandwiches, scones with cream and jam, and other sweet treats like Nanaimo bars, lemon squares, and shortbread with strawberry cream cheese. In my funeral plans, I'll request it's all prepared by family and friends, to promote togetherness and give them time to process their loss together because it may be the last time they see each other.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Most of the churches I've been to do not provide the food, but volunteers will help prepare it if the family buys it. Otherwise, it's usually catered.

For my own funeral, I'll prepare ahead of time if possible, and it will be an afternoon tea with traditional English fingerling sandwiches, scones with cream and jam, and other sweet treats like Nanaimo bars, lemon squares, and shortbread with strawberry cream cheese. In my funeral plans, I'll request it's all prepared by family and friends, to promote togetherness and give them time to process their loss together because it may be the last time they see each other.

Interesting... if it's an English cream tea including scones with cream and jam you'll need to decide whether you want Cornwall or Devon style :)

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Hahaha, it's all the same in the belly. People can build their own according to their own taste. If you show up, you will likely go Devonshire - you mention cream first and jam second. I kinda like Cornish.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's funny, there are different aspects of Devon and Cornwall that I prefer. Maybe I should go and live right on the border between the two so I can mix and match everything.

Top Bottom