World Could the law be changed to have atheists and agnostics barred from holding political office?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Personally, I might be more apt to vote for an atheist who is pro-life, pro-family, solid in morality, and with conservative values in social, economic and political views.... than some of the "Christians" (like Nancy Polosi who often boasts of her Christian and Catholic faith) who so passionately defend and support the murder of 600,000 innocent children, etc. Yes, I'd prefer a solid Christian man or women who is very pro-life, pro-family, pro-morality but it seems these things aren't joined at the hip with Christians (or non-Christians).

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
Christendom truly is the Supreme religion, just as the coming Christ rules and will rule Supreme over all of humanity. However, the color of one’s skin or their ethnicity/nationality in no way determines the content of their character, or their value unto God Almighty, as all men are created in God’s image, and all men are created equal. But to those nations that have forsaken their Creator, judgment comes, swiftly, even severely, just as in the days of Noah, as in the days of Sodom and Gomorrah, as in the days of Joshua/Jericho, and all throughout the history of the human race. I find that if so many natives in the Americas were wiped out so severely by plague, it was either because an innocent people were suffering, or because a guilty and uncivilized, barbaric nation was suffering the wrath of the Almighty for their sin and rejection of the gospel. But be assured, that I do not in any way whatsoever determine to assume that their race, color, or skin tone is the criteria by which a man is to be judged or discriminated against.

Wrath is a serious human failing and yet we attribute it to a perfect God? The wrathful God of the Old Testament is the product of an unsophisticated people thinking very anthropomorphically --- envisioning their God along the lines of the typical Middle Eastern tyrant.

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Wrath is a serious human failing and yet we attribute it to a perfect God? The wrathful God of the Old Testament is the product of an unsophisticated people thinking very anthropomorphically --- envisioning their God along the lines of the typical Middle Eastern tyrant.
Wrath also appears in the NT.

In the classic Greek usage it's something that is not appropriate for God. However it's easy to imagine God as being angry at evil. The question is how that is reflected in his attitude towards people who do evil. In this area modern sensibilities differ from ancient ones. The NT is ambiguous, I think. There's plenty of wrath there, but also the basis for a God who responds to evil by overcoming it.

Fritz Kobus

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We have these officials swear on a Bible to uphold the constitution. When Kamala was sworn in it looked like she put a purse or such between her hand and the Bible. If they are not Christians, then they don't care about the Bible or swearing on it.

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
If we’re a Christian nation, we’ll vote for Christian leaders. I think the question really should be if atheists should be denied the right to vote.

Fritz Kobus

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If we’re a Christian nation, we’ll vote for Christian leaders. I think the question really should be if atheists should be denied the right to vote.
Anyone who is not a second generation American, should not be able to vote or hold office.

The voting age NEVER should have been lowered to 18. And now, with as woke as our colleges are I think it should be raised to 30!

Our constitution also should explicitly ban non Christian religions. If you are a Moslem and want to live in the USA, they you either convert or be happy in your Moslem nation. No infiltration. Look, Japan does not mess around with immigration watering down their culture. Why do we have to be the saps of the world, letting every wrong idea walk all over our freedoms.

I also believe every adult citizen unless mentally ill should be required to own a firearm for home protection and in case the government gets out of hand.

Ha ha, they will probably put me on the FBI terrorist list for my views, but i still claim free speech!

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
We have these officials swear on a Bible to uphold the constitution. When Kamala was sworn in it looked like she put a purse or such between her hand and the Bible. If they are not Christians, then they don't care about the Bible or swearing on it.

look at the pictures. The supposed purse is a Bible.

Fritz Kobus

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
=============================================================================

1. Wouldn’t business acumen be more important than acceptability of faith, in running a country?
2. How would we (how can we now?) discern between genuine faith and artificial faith?
3. Are there any religions or faith groups, the members of which should be excluded?
4. Should the ministers/priests where those people attend, be required to condemn dishonesty?
5. Should the church they attend kick their dishonest politicians out?
6. Should the ministers/priests be kicked out if they renege on their responsibility?
7. Should we throw the whole idea out as being impractical?

As was repeatedly said in Immersionist circles in Australia when Richard Nixon was elected president:

Praise God! There’s a Christian in the White House!

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If we ban people from politics for holding (or not holding) certain beliefs, then politics would be filled with individuals skilled at deception and lying … oh, wait … we have that already because we want politicians that will “tickle our ears” rather than tell us hard, unpleasant truths.

So the proposed ban would result in ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGE because human beings (as a race) are still fallen with a desperately wicked heart. [I read that in the Bible: Jeremiah 17:9 .]

Fritz Kobus

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If we ban people from politics for holding (or not holding) certain beliefs, then politics would be filled with individuals skilled at deception and lying … oh, wait … we have that already because we want politicians that will “tickle our ears” rather than tell us hard, unpleasant truths.

So the proposed ban would result in ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGE because human beings (as a race) are still fallen with a desperately wicked heart. [I read that in the Bible: Jeremiah 17:9 .]
This is why we have to have as small of a government as possible. The founding fathers would never have put up with what is going on today. But it is not going to be so easy to stop the abusive people in power now because we have allowed the government to get way to big, like at least 100 times too big.

Top Bottom