Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Military funds, equipment, and troops should be dispatched to the border.
Every politician used to agree with this until 2016

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
1625802968ab10e01f6dba165416ab09.jpg

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well, that theory has already been disproven.

There is actually a smaller wall already there and they climb over it or tunnel under it. It stops nothing.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Personal experience. I've been to the border and seen the wall there and the border patrol.

I have been to the border more times than I can count. Most of my family live not more than 3 miles from the border in Texas. I bought a small ranch about 5 miles from the border for my parents. As of the last time I was there, a few years ago, there has never been a wall or fence. What most people see as barriers are mostly near cities and towns but if a person can hike a few miles, they can walk around. For years, when I was younger we used to cross into Mexico and back on a dirt road, with a makeshift bridge built for one car.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Without the US leadership at the UN the UN is nothing. We have to lead by example and then encourage other countries to follow our lead

Here, in one sentence, is why the US is so often seen as arrogant.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There is actually a smaller wall already there and they climb over it or tunnel under it. It stops nothing.

... which is probably why people are calling for a bigger wall so people can't just climb over it. You'd have to dig some pretty impressive foundations to step people tunneling under it.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
As far as the topic of military funds being used, military funds are for national defense and the purpose of the wall is for national defense. Whatever the merits or otherwise of how well the wall will work, national defense does seem like an obvious source for the funds.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

No doubt there are parts of the border, walled or not, where it is fairly easy to cross. HOWEVER, there is no denying that as better sections of walls in the most critical areas are put in place, the number of immigrants evading apprehension declines. The facts are the facts.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
As far as the topic of military funds being used, military funds are for national defense and the purpose of the wall is for national defense. Whatever the merits or otherwise of how well the wall will work, national defense does seem like an obvious source for the funds.

It is valid to disagree with the allocation of funds (there is MUCH government spending that could be disagreed with).

But this whole rant is all about TRUMP.... motivated I believe by an almost irrational and personal hatred of the man and anger over his election. It's TRUMP transferring these funds - from one aspect of National Defense to another. As I understand this, EVERY PRESIDENT for over half a century has done this, usually transfering from National Security to something that isn't remotely related to National Security. Because TRUMP did it, that makes it HORRIBLE, that makes him impeachable, that proves how evil and stupid he is. It's so transparent.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It is valid to disagree with the allocation of funds (there is MUCH government spending that could be disagreed with).

But this whole rant is all about TRUMP.... motivated I believe by an almost irrational and personal hatred of the man and anger over his election. It's TRUMP transferring these funds - from one aspect of National Defense to another. As I understand this, EVERY PRESIDENT for over half a century has done this, usually transfering from National Security to something that isn't remotely related to National Security. Because TRUMP did it, that makes it HORRIBLE, that makes him impeachable, that proves how evil and stupid he is. It's so transparent.

But, but, but, Trump.....

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
The problem is that I disagree with the wall period, I do not think it is that vital to national defense and instead think it is a collossal waste at the expense of the military. If other presidents have done it the it was just as wrong

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The problem is that I disagree with the wall period, I do not think it is that vital to national defense and instead think it is a collossal waste at the expense of the military. If other presidents have done it the it was just as wrong

God instructed Nehemiah to build a wall around Jerusalem to protect its citizens from enemy attack.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
It's vital and walls do work, you live in a house with locks, Mexico has walls too you know. It's not so much that we fear its a contributing factor to crime, but we have laws and everyone present in America neeeeeeeeeeds to be accounted for because their ARE murderers that cross over with a clean slate and they DO commit murders, imagine taking down your front door and allowing complete strangers in, we cannot trust everyone, what if they came in and shot you dead and took all over your belongings? You lock your doors because people in general cannot be so easily trusted... at one time no one needed to lock their doors but criminal activity has sky rocketed since.
It has always been vital to document migrants, when our ancestors migrated to America they had to go through a process, they had to gain identity and they also had to pledge to defend the nation in times of war.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
God instructed Nehemiah to build a wall around Jerusalem to protect its citizens from enemy attack.

He wasn't a Republican. And certainly not Donald Trump. So while your point is undeniably true, for the Press and the Left, it's entirely moot. This is about those stupid, hateful Republicans and ESPECIALLY about Can-We-Find-SOMETHING-to-Impeach-Trump-over."

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's vital and walls do work, you live in a house with locks, Mexico has walls too you know. It's not so much that we fear its a contributing factor to crime, but we have laws and everyone present in America neeeeeeeeeeds to be accounted for because their ARE murderers that cross over with a clean slate and they DO commit murders, imagine taking down your front door and allowing complete strangers in, we cannot trust everyone, what if they came in and shot you dead and took all over your belongings? You lock your doors because people in general cannot be so easily trusted... at one time no one needed to lock their doors but criminal activity has sky rocketed since.
It has always been vital to document migrants, when our ancestors migrated to America they had to go through a process, they had to gain identity and they also had to pledge to defend the nation in times of war.

The trouble is that the issue of a border wall isn't as simple as a comparison to houses and the like. Some have argued that if walls don't work it must mean prisoners stay in jail voluntarily. It's clearly absurd to think that if you took away the walls of a prison all the inmates would stay out of a sense of duty to complete their sentences, but it isn't a like-for-like comparison. A prisoner doesn't have access to digging equipment, nor are there areas of the prison wall where a prisoner can spend hours at a time digging without being noticed by a guard. Unless you're going to post guards along the entire length of a border wall the chances are somebody is going to dig underneath it, especially if there is a tangible benefit in doing so. We've already seen drug runners bringing their wares into the country through tunnels so it shouldn't be a surprise that it's possible.

Prisoners also don't have access to aircraft and handy parts of the prison boundary that aren't patrolled very often. The border wall can be bypassed by anyone with access to an aircraft - they just hop right on over.

Prisoners also very seldom get chance to leave the prison. When a lot of illegal immigration is a result of overstaying a visa it's just another way the comparison isn't valid. If a maximum security prisoner could check himself out of prison to go shopping for the afternoon, the comparison would work better.

It is important to make sure people who aren't supposed to be here don't get here and are removed if they are found. The trouble is that a wall is only one part of the process and that criminals tend to go for the lowest hanging fruit. For many would-be illegal immigrants the chances are walking across the border, through the desert, hoping they survive the journey, probably isn't the most obvious method of choice to cross the border. It seems easier to hide in the back of a truck that's headed north - that way even if you get caught you're dropped off near the border ready to have another go.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

At least a wall is closer to a symmetric form of battle than firing cruise missiles into the desert, where a $1m missile ends up doing little more than blowing up a few tents and a camel or two.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
MY hunch....

No one would report... no one would complain.... no one would even know if some Democrat or even a Republican with a last name other than Trump did this. Reason for my hunch? Obama directed funds for the wall. Obama SEVERAL TIMES by executive action re-directed military funds (and NONE of those were to other defense issues). No one cared.

Politics. Trump hatred. It seems very obvious to me. I didn't vote for Trump, I'm no fan of Trump, but I admit - all the personal, constant, hypocritical and unaccountable attacks of him are having an effect on me.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
MY hunch....

No one would report... no one would complain.... no one would even know if some Democrat or even a Republican with a last name other than Trump did this. Reason for my hunch? Obama directed funds for the wall. Obama SEVERAL TIMES by executive action re-directed military funds (and NONE of those were to other defense issues). No one cared.

Politics. Trump hatred. It seems very obvious to me. I didn't vote for Trump, I'm no fan of Trump, but I admit - all the personal, constant, hypocritical and unaccountable attacks of him are having an effect on me.

Kind of like how Clinton and Obama talked about how illegal immigration had to be stopped but as soon as Trump talks about stopping illegal immigration it's suddenly racist and sanctuary cities spring up all over the place?

Top Bottom