Your beloved pets

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Tell us something about your pet. My dog Suzy is a Shih Tsu and is going on 6.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
My two cats (Alex and Newton) are domestic short hairs, both female and they are siblings that were born in the same litter in the evening of July 30, 2003. They are getting up in years, although neither acts like it at all. Alex has never willingly let anyone other than me touch her (only at the vet's have other people touched her. Newton on the other hand will be anyone's best friend.

I have a love seat right next to my computer desk, and Alex likes to sleep there right next to me. :)

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
My two cats (Alex and Newton) are domestic short hairs, both female and they are siblings that were born in the same litter in the evening of July 30, 2003. They are getting up in years, although neither acts like it at all. Alex has never willingly let anyone other than me touch her (only at the vet's have other people touched her. Newton on the other hand will be anyone's best friend.

I have a love seat right next to my computer desk, and Alex likes to sleep there right next to me. :)

They sound like lovely cats!

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
They sound like lovely cats!

Yeah, I can't imagine my life without my two little ninjas...LOL!

I have a niece who has had a Shih Tsu for about 14 years now. Her name is Missy. She is appropriately spoiled too. She loves people and cats, but doesn't like other dogs much. :)

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
My dog is like that, likes cats but not other dogs

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I have a house rabbit.

He's about 10 years old now; I 'rescued' him from the neighbors I had when I lived in an apartment project.

He lives entirely indoors (he never goes out). He has a little "house" in the corner of the living room, and a litter box in the bathroom where he does his "jobs". He use to run around and be crazy but he's getting older now and rarely jumps up on things or runs around a lot, but he's always happy when I come home.

Rabbits are really ideal for busy people with little to no yard. They are best kept inside (they can develop health problems outdoors and of course they are at the bottom of the food chain.... and heat is a major cause of death). They are active at and around sunrise and sundown (when folks are home) but they "chill" during the day (when folks are at work) and prefer to nap and be left alone then. They make no noise (except when they are having sex, lol) so no distrubing the neighbors. Health care costs are low (no shots, etc., etc.). They need no grooming or bathing. They can do two days without care - so they can be left for a weekend. In a lot of ways, they are similar to house cats.

They CAN smell - but that goes away if they are spayed or neutered (they also become FAR more "chill" is they are: the reputation for them being OBSESSED with sex is.... well...... totally true). The females often develop cancer (as do female cats) but this is eliminated if they are spayed. They do need FRESH greens every day, they do need special hay every day, they do need to be kept from heat (meaning I need to leave the AC on at about 80 when I'm gone). They NEED interaction or they become literally mentally ill - either becoming VERY inactive and "lost" or sometimes mean; they are highly social animals and without interaction, literally go insane.... and sadly, that happens to a LOT of pet rabbits who are largely ignored. They like to be paired... two rabbits together... and are happier that way, but they don't bond easily and should be aquired already bonded (they can fight otherwise; and yes, kill each other).

SOME rabbits are chewers. They chew on carpeting, furniture, ELECTRICAL CORDS (which often doesn't end well for the rabbit!) - and it can be hard to break those rabbits of that. Those will need to be kept in some kind of safe enclosure when not supervised. Mine has never done that and so just runs free all the time. It should be noted that they have rather touchy tummies (need to be careful with food) and vet bills (if they do occur) can be really high since they are considered "exotic" pets and there are amazingly few vets who (knowingly) treat them.

Rabbits you get at pet stores often have problems. But you can secure a litter-box trained, spayed or neutered, pre-screeened rabbit with The House Rabbit Society. They have a GREAT website and LOTS of help on how to enjoy rabbits as pets and keep them safe. Securing through them not only is rescuing a rabbit BUT getting lots of practical help (and you can return the rabbit if it doesn't work out). Rabbits secured this way typically cost about $50.00.

BTW, a lot of rabbits are bought for CHILDREN since they are easy-care. But rabbits have very small bones - and if "hugged" too hard or dropped.... well... it can be fatal (more than one rabbit has been literally loved to death). Not the best pet for very small children.

- Josiah

Last edited:

brinny

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
my cat was born July 4th, last year...

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, I can't imagine my life without my two little ninjas...LOL!

I have a niece who has had a Shih Tsu for about 14 years now. Her name is Missy. She is appropriately spoiled too. She loves people and cats, but doesn't like other dogs much. :)

I can't imagine my life without my Suzy either. She loves people, too. Not sure about cats, I don't have any. She likes some dogs but some she doesn't like, too.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
I have a house rabbit.

He's about 10 years old now; I 'rescued' him from the neighbors I had when I lived in an apartment project.

He lives entirely indoors (he never goes out). He has a little "house" in the corner of the living room, and a litter box in the bathroom where he does his "jobs". He use to run around and be crazy but he's getting older now and rarely jumps up on things or runs around a lot, but he's always happy when I come home.

Rabbits are really ideal for busy people with little to no yard. They are best kept inside (they can develop health problems outdoors and of course they are at the bottom of the food chain.... and heat is a major cause of death). They are active at and around sunrise and sundown (when folks are home) but they "chill" during the day (when folks are at work) and prefer to nap and be left alone then. They make no noise (except when they are having sex, lol) so no distrubing the neighbors. Health care costs are low (no shots, etc., etc.). They need no grooming or bathing. They can do two days without care - so they can be left for a weekend. In a lot of ways, they are similar to house cats.

They CAN smell - but that goes away if they are spayed or neutered (they also become FAR more "chill" is they are: the reputation for them being OBSESSED with sex is.... well...... totally true). The females often develop cancer (as do female cats) but this is eliminated if they are spayed. They do need FRESH greens every day, they do need special hay every day, they do need to be kept from heat (meaning I need to leave the AC on at about 80 when I'm gone). They NEED interaction or they become literally mentally ill - either becoming VERY inactive and "lost" or sometimes mean; they are highly social animals and without interaction, literally go insane.... and sadly, that happens to a LOT of pet rabbits who are largely ignored. They like to be paired... two rabbits together... and are happier that way, but they don't bond easily and should be aquired already bonded (they can fight otherwise; and yes, kill each other).

SOME rabbits are chewers. They chew on carpeting, furniture, ELECTRICAL CORDS (which often doesn't end well for the rabbit!) - and it can be hard to break those rabbits of that. Those will need to be kept in some kind of safe enclosure when not supervised. Mine has never done that and so just runs free all the time. It should be noted that they have rather touchy tummies (need to be careful with food) and vet bills (if they do occur) can be really high since they are considered "exotic" pets and there are amazingly few vets who (knowingly) treat them.

Rabbits you get at pet stores often have problems. But you can secure a litter-box trained, spayed or neutered, pre-screeened rabbit with The House Rabbit Society. They have a GREAT website and LOTS of help on how to enjoy rabbits as pets and keep them safe. Securing through them not only is rescuing a rabbit BUT getting lots of practical help (and you can return the rabbit if it doesn't work out). Rabbits secured this way typically cost about $50.00.

BTW, a lot of rabbits are bought for CHILDREN since they are easy-care. But rabbits have very small bones - and if "hugged" too hard or dropped.... well... it can be fatal (more than one rabbit has been literally loved to death). Not the best pet for very small children.

- Josiah

Thank you for all your information on rabbits. They sound like nice pets.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
My dog is like that, likes cats but not other dogs

My Suzy likes other dogs somewhat but not all of them. She will get a growling look on her face when she is with a dog she doesn't want to be with.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
I also have 2 parakeets; Danny and Baby. They are both so sweet. Danny is grayish blue and Baby is yellow and green. Danny is 6 years old and baby is well under a year. They have become good friends over the days. Baby can't fly yet; we are waiting for its wings to grow out.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
There is one pet I miss and feel unhappy about; she was my mother's little poodle, a white poodle who went crazy with joy whenever I came to visit mum and would never leave my side while I was there. After my mother had a stroke and could no longer live independently her little poodle went to my bother's home but in the end she was given to my sister in law's sister who later gave her to a family I did not know and where I could no longer see her. I felt quite pained to loose her, she was such a good dog. BY now she will be dead, long since dead, but I remember her and still feel sorrow over not finding a way to keep her myself.

Forgiven1

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I have two purebred seal point Siamese cats. Gracie and Ruthie are from the same litter. They are 2.5 years old now. They are adorable, play a lot, sleep and snuggle up to us when not snuggled up to each other. They love the "cat tv," aka looking out an open window and watching what goes on outside. Gracie is more apt to greet you right away and Ruthie needs time to warm up to you, oh about a couple of days.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My girlfriend's parents had a poodle once. He peed on Mexicans. Every time. Everyone. No others.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
There is one pet I miss and feel unhappy about; she was my mother's little poodle, a white poodle who went crazy with joy whenever I came to visit mum and would never leave my side while I was there. After my mother had a stroke and could no longer live independently her little poodle went to my bother's home but in the end she was given to my sister in law's sister who later gave her to a family I did not know and where I could no longer see her. I felt quite pained to loose her, she was such a good dog. BY now she will be dead, long since dead, but I remember her and still feel sorrow over not finding a way to keep her myself.

Aww, that is so sad.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
I have two purebred seal point Siamese cats. Gracie and Ruthie are from the same litter. They are 2.5 years old now. They are adorable, play a lot, sleep and snuggle up to us when not snuggled up to each other. They love the "cat tv," aka looking out an open window and watching what goes on outside. Gracie is more apt to greet you right away and Ruthie needs time to warm up to you, oh about a couple of days.

Sound like real nice cats. I used to have cats, too.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Here is the latest picture of Danny and Bailey:

ZlhzRQl.jpg

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
Beautiful birds, Ruth! Do they sing a lot?

Top Bottom