Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I've never had a flu shot. Maybe I'm irresponsible and am a carrier, I don't know, but I also haven't had the flu in a very long time. I see my friends who get the shot and are sick in a week or two or they get the flu anyway sometime during the season.

Today I read an article that this year's flu shot isn't very good at helping children:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/14/health/flu-vaccine-match/index.html

"It's not a very good match for B/Victoria," said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, referring to the strain. "It's not an awful match, but it's not a very good match."

"Fauci is spearheading an effort to develop a universal flu vaccine that would theoretically cover every strain of the flu over multiple flu seasons."

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Never got a flu shot, don't really have any interest in it. I've never had the flu and know enough people who did get the flu within a week of having their flu shot that I don't really feel inclined to do it. When my doctor asked about it and I said I wasn't really interested in it her response was just to say "OK" and noted that I'd declined it. No attempt to encourage me to reconsider, just acceptance I wasn't interested in it.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The folks who have not had the flu, or not in recent years, have been lucky. That's all. When they do finally get the flu this year or next year maybe, they will reconsider.

You cannot contract the flu from the shot. That's because it's not live cells, and if you do get the flu despite having had the shot, the flu will be less awful.

As for the idea that none of the annual flu shots is going to protect 100% against the flu, that is true. There are many strains and the experts simply choose, each year, the one(s) they think are most likely to strike. That's why you can get the flu even with the shot. And the flu season can be as long as half the year.

At bottom, though, anyone with insurance can get the shot (at a drug store, even!) for free, and it's not a very big deal for such a potential benefit.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I get them but Jordan doesn't.

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
It's kind of a judgement call. It's not as effective as some other vaccines, but it seems good enough to be worth doing. There's no obvious down side. Maybe for others there is, but for me I've never seen any of the side effects and it doesn't even hurt.

Unlike the new shingles vaccine, which hurt for a week and gave me chills for a day. But it's still worth it.

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
10 years ago I got a flu shot, it was politely forced on me. I was sitting in the chemo chair at the time, the oncologist walked in and suggested I get one. Since then I haven't had a shot, I lobby big time for everyone to get theirs, so I don't have to.

Jason

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Here we don't do flu shot, we just go with it. We just got so used to it, we avoid visiting doctors during the flu.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
As far as getting the flu right after the flu shot is concerned it seems to be one of those things where the theory can say whatever it wants but when someone doesn't get the flu shot and goes all winter without the flu, then gets the flu shot and has flu within a week, then skips the flu shot and doesn't get flu, then gets the shot and gets the flu within a week, the pattern becomes pretty clear. Maybe it's just a stunning coincidence but it's certainly the sort of thing that would dent my confidence in getting the shot.

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
I have gotten the flu shot annually for 30 years. It has been 100% effective with zero side effects I plan to continue. BTW, I am 76.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm allergic to the shot so I don't take it

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

bharath

Religious Affiliation
Hindu
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I have never heard this flu shot, but know about swine flu which affects from the infected person. I think in US the these type of diseases are common because of staying in buildings.
@Lammchen do you stay separately or in a apartment?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I have never heard this flu shot, but know about swine flu which affects from the infected person. I think in US the these type of diseases are common because of staying in buildings.
@Lammchen do you stay separately or in a apartment?

We have a house that's separated from other homes. In the winter I don't get out much to do things where other people are unless it's church or grocery shopping and I try to be very careful to wash my hands often.

Fiona1964

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I have to get it because of my job hate it though as I dont like needles

Spikey

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes
I have gotten the flu shot annually for 30 years. It has been 100% effective with zero side effects I plan to continue. BTW, I am 76.

I can say the same except I am 33 😁 I get the flu shot every year and it works for me. No side effects either probably because im used to gettig the shot.

Top Bottom