Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Joe Biden says he would consider a Republican for his running mate

"Joe Biden told voters in New Hampshire on Monday that he would consider choosing a Republican as a running mate, but added, "I can't think of one right now."
Biden discussed the possibility after a woman told the former vice president that if he is the nominee, he will "have to pull out all the stops.""

I think it would be a very good strategic move to choose a Republican as a running mate. But in the end, then Republicans could impeach Joe, have him removed from office and have the Repub vice then become President?

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The impeachment concern is a good one although from what I can figure from the current process it would need the Republicans to have enough votes in both houses to actually remove Biden from office and take control of it.

It might be interesting to tweak the system so that it was mandatory for every presidential candidate to have a running-mate from the other party, and require some kind of supermajority in both houses to impeach, to protect against that kind of abuse. Maybe also make it so that if the president is impeached the VP is also removed and a new election held to replace both within three months.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Joe Biden says he would consider a Republican for his running mate

"Joe Biden told voters in New Hampshire on Monday that he would consider choosing a Republican as a running mate, but added, "I can't think of one right now."
Biden discussed the possibility after a woman told the former vice president that if he is the nominee, he will "have to pull out all the stops.""

I think it would be a very good strategic move to choose a Republican as a running mate. But in the end, then Republicans could impeach Joe, have him removed from office and have the Repub vice then become President?

Even if Biden went through with this idea, the Democratic National Convention would never, ever, agree to nominate a Republican as its Vice-Presidential candidate.

What we hare hearing now from Biden is exactly what we are hearing from several of the other Dem candidates--anything to appear reasonable and also hopefully to find a new bunch of special-interest voters before the primaries start. None of these candidates has any record of 'reaching across the aisle' in order to build consensus, etc., but it sounds good.

Top Bottom