Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I see more and more women around me saying they don't need a man. Not even father and brothers in their life. And I see many of them choose to remain single with kids or just single. And I wonder we were taught to have a family and companionship in the church. But things are going completely changed in todays time.

Do you think family system is dying?

Jason

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
This is because of social network and internet, people love staying online and chatting with friends rather than being with friends physically. We are so into technology we started to reject relationship and eye to eye contact.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
IMO....

God made us to be familial. It's kind of how we are wired. It is a universal aspect of humanity (albeit with RARE modifications).

BUT (IMO) here's the new "wrench". Birth control. It USED to be family units were seen as a requirement because couples have sex.... sex produces kids.... human offspring have the longest period of maturity of any species on the planet (made worse in our very modern society because of education). It is HARD for a single woman/mother to support and raise a mess of kids (which can be over a dozen). The FATHER is needed. To provide and to protect. In a COMMITTED way. Thus, the practical need for marriage. And it seems God wired us for this..... love, bonding, etc..... it seems to have this practical side: the offspring will need both parents involved for MANY YEARS. But modern birth control means people can have sex - lots of sex even with lots of partners - without offspring being a factor. Children now are an OPTION. AND in our modern society, it is at least possible for a single parent to support a child or two, our society has made this possible. The PRACTICAL side of all this - a huge factor for 250,000 years of our species - suddenly isn't much of a factor at all. BUT, IMO, the emotional side.... the "wiring"..... still very much exists. AND I'm argue passionately that marriage is still a great and divine blessing - whether or not children are a factor.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Society has changed from being community oriented as we see in the bible toward individualism. It's all about me, my wants, my needs and whether I'm content with my life. Society has told people that being married is a burden and having kids is a burden (so abort your baby!). It's sad really.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I see more and more women around me saying they don't need a man. Not even father and brothers in their life. And I see many of them choose to remain single with kids or just single. And I wonder we were taught to have a family and companionship in the church. But things are going completely changed in todays time.

I think some people don't take their responsibility seriously when they have a child and decide not to take care of it or have someone else raise that child. I see that a lot with grandparents taking on the role of parent because the parent is too busy working or doing drugs to take responsibility for their child. And then the child acts out and they wonder why.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I think this is by design. So much of the way society is changing is about isolating people from what would normally be a support network. Whether it's breaking apart families or social support networks, every which way we turn there's something else making it harder for people to come together in ways that increase solidarity. Families get broken up - as you say there are more and more women who don't think they need a man in their life (which of course means kids growing up without male role models), and in the meantime more and more young men end up unemployed doing little more than wasting away their lives gaming in their parents' basement (cliche I know, but it seems to be a growing trend). Then so many jobs have people on shifts that they find out about at short notice, and of course if you don't know what hours you'll be working next week it's impossible to plan a social life, so you end up socially isolated.

Not to worry, there's an app for that. You too can log onto social media and see everybody else's highly polished lives, while comparing it to the reality of your own life. Your life, warts and all, compared to the carefully edited version of everybody else's life. No wonder people get depressed, but of course there's an app for that too. Just buy these things and your life will be wonderful again. Except that it won't, but by then they have your money so they don't care.

Even churches are shifting to adopt this. No need to come together and support each other - that's far too much like work, far too much like getting hands dirty. Just log in and watch the service live streamed to your tablet. No need to do the ugly messy work of helping people who are struggling, just touch the screen and consume, consume, consume. If you have a need, just post it to an anonymous site and trust that people will pray for you. It's so much cleaner than being real, being vulnerable, in front of the people you see face to face every week. It's safer too - if someone does break your confidence then instead of being a real person with a real name and a real face, you're just another faceless moniker and it's hard to see how it matters if a larger group gets to find out that "sparkleboy993" is struggling with something a bit embarrassing.

To be clear, ministering to people who are physically unable to attend a church because of illness, disability etc is one thing. To provide endless options so people don't have to make any commitment at all to the church other than rolling over in bed and tapping their screen to start the live stream seems like a huge step backwards to me.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think some people don't take their responsibility seriously when they have a child and decide not to take care of it or have someone else raise that child. I see that a lot with grandparents taking on the role of parent because the parent is too busy working or doing drugs to take responsibility for their child. And then the child acts out and they wonder why.

Of course a system in which both parents need to work just to pay the bills is ideally suited for breaking what should be a close-knit family unit apart.

If you've got extended family nearby who can provide childcare then at least you're dealing with family members who care for the child as an individual looking after the child. Take that away and new parents dump the kids onto a childminder because they need to get back to work, meaning the kids are more likely to bond with the childminder than with the parents. I'll bet the percentage of childminders who care for the children in their care in anything like the same way that a traditional parent would care for the child is very small.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Of course a system in which both parents need to work just to pay the bills is ideally suited for breaking what should be a close-knit family unit apart.

If you've got extended family nearby who can provide childcare then at least you're dealing with family members who care for the child as an individual looking after the child. Take that away and new parents dump the kids onto a childminder because they need to get back to work, meaning the kids are more likely to bond with the childminder than with the parents. I'll bet the percentage of childminders who care for the children in their care in anything like the same way that a traditional parent would care for the child is very small.

From what I have seen it is grandparents who have taken on the role of parent because the parent is completely absent. Either having given up their rights due to drug abuse or neglect or for some other reason. It is rare with the parents that I work with in the mental health field for both the mom and dad to be present and active in the kids life.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
From what I have seen it is grandparents who have taken on the role of parent because the parent is completely absent. Either having given up their rights due to drug abuse or neglect or for some other reason. It is rare with the parents that I work with in the mental health field for both the mom and dad to be present and active in the kids life.

Sure, in the mental health field things are likely to be different. A friend of mine is currently fostering a little boy whose biological father still has visitation rights, when he's not in prison. Last I heard he (the father) was in prison, again.

Outside of the mental health field, if both parents have to work just to pay the bills it doesn't bode well for family bonding even if they are notionally present in the evenings.

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
This is a terrible thing - cause it's leading to population depletion in first world countries - and hence, racial conflict. I mean, I want to live in a racially harmonious world - but I realize to achieve this - there has to be balance - cause, like it or not, people are racist and oppress other races.

Anyway, hopefully, this problem won't happen in God's future kingdom - but it's about looking at the present situation.

It takes a lot of money to raise a child - but I think parents who tough it out - can raise a child well.

Top Bottom