CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      89.05%

multiple site churches

What do you think of this trend of churches have multiple sites? I know of one church in our area that has sites in four locations. When it comes time for the sermon they will show the main pastor who is on a big screen preaching at the main location. Otherwise, the other sites might have some staff who see to other issues at the different campus areas.
      In the case of the church I am thinking of, the main campus is as much as 50 or so miles from some of the other sites.

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (517,550 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      34.95%
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      What do you think of this trend of churches have multiple sites? I know of one church in our area that has sites in four locations. When it comes time for the sermon they will show the main pastor who is on a big screen preaching at the main location. Otherwise, the other sites might have some staff who see to other issues at the different campus areas.
      In the case of the church I am thinking of, the main campus is as much as 50 or so miles from some of the other sites.
      It doesn't sound as if their pastor can fully care for the flock when there are that many congregants in multiple locations.

I know hundreds of years ago that there would be pastors who would care for members in different towns but there weren't thousands upon thousands of people on those towns like at the multiple churches.

What is the reasoning for not calling a pastor at each one of those churches?
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

1 John 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.

Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      35.66%

Okay with me... AS LONG AS THERE IS AN ORDAINED, REAL LIFE PASTOR there. I don't like this "internet church" idea much.

Churches having extensions (with at least a shared honest-to-goodness pastor) is a trend coming. I suspect this is a strong trend and will increase dramatically in the future.

BTW, there's nothing new about this. In California, we have many "Missions" founded by Spanish Franciscans when California was still part of Spain. Everyone (here anyway) is familiar with the Missions themselves, but they are unaware that each had several (sometime 10 or more) extensions - small missions some distance away from the big main mission, to which they were linked. This was simply because each Mission had a HUGE territory it was responsible for and there was simply no way Natives many miles away could participate at the main mission. I know of only one of these that still exists, the Pala Mission in San Diego County, an extension of the San Luis Rey Mission. But again, every one of the Missions had several of these - they simply have not survived; the "restoring" movement only applied to the main missions and the restoration that Abraham Lincoln put into place only applied to the main missions.

Also, this was very common in Europe until very recently. For the same reason; those in the numberless small villages and rural farms simply could not travel to the town to attain the big main church there. So that church had lots of extensions, "chapels," located out in the tiny villages and countryside, served by a "vicar" or by a priest who traveled about, a "circuit rider" as we called these in the USA.

What is NEW is those that don't have a clergy at all of any kind but only video feed.
      We are justified by works - just not our own.

jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      89.05%
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      It doesn't sound as if their pastor can fully care for the flock when there are that many congregants in multiple locations.

I know hundreds of years ago that there would be pastors who would care for members in different towns but there weren't thousands upon thousands of people on those towns like at the multiple churches.

What is the reasoning for not calling a pastor at each one of those churches?
      There are site pastors at each locations, but your right that there is no way the main pastor can know much less minister to each member.
      I'm not sure why those site pastors can't just preach the sermon. I'm sure in some ways they are following some type of church growth model that someone has developed. It seems that many of these type of churches are popular. I can think of three church that have multiple sites in our area. The one I last attended the pastor did a pretty good job of preaching and was very biblical. One other one I went to I thought the sermon was very watered down

tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (29,334,712 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      22.53%
      For myself I think that if the pastor of the church has more people than he can care for the church needs to seriously consider dividing so it can continue to grow. I know some churches end up with a supersenior pastor, a group of senior pastors, pastors, youth pastors, pastors in training and so on but, for me at least, that ends up becoming more like a business than a church. If a person has the title "pastor" but they aren't involved in pastoring the congregation they aren't really a pastor. If you've got a dozen senior pastors with one overarching supersenior pastor, that person probably isn't the one who you go and talk to if you need prayer for something, so it's easy to see that they aren't adding a lot of value to the organisation.

I find myself instinctively somewhat uneasy at the thought of having big video screens to show the man who is preaching, especially if he's not even physically present. The whole point of the service and the sermon is to point towards Jesus Christ, and anything that has the potential to shift the focus onto the man who is speaking is something I think we need to be very careful around.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

Albion is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      48.89%
      Personally, I think of it as something perverted or perhaps just lazy. At the least, it reduces the effectiveness of the church by offering members half a loaf while building the name recognition and wealth of the corporation.

7. Likes Michael liked this post
      jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      89.05%
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
      Personally, I think of it as something perverted or perhaps just lazy. At the least, it reduces the effectiveness of the church by offering members half a loaf while building the name recognition and wealth of the corporation.
      how is it perverted or lazy?

Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      48.89%
      C'mon. It's vanity at work and, in addition, it sacrifices a lot that congregations are supposed to do for and with believers.

Were this just someone's idea of a missionary work--reaching the unconverted masses somewhere with the Gospel--it might be seen differently, but not what you told us it is all about and how it operates.

Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      48.89%
      duplicate

tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (29,334,712 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      22.53%
      I don't know that I'd have used the word "perverted" - even though it could be argued that it is (based on a technical definition of what it means to pervert something) the term tends to have less savory connotations in many contexts.

It does seem lazy because a church large enough to have four different buildings spread geographically can probably afford to find four pastors to lead each church as its own entity even if they are associated. Unless, of course, it becomes all about the head honcho - the big cheese - the Senior Pastor himself. And if that's the case the church has lost its way.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

12. Likes Michael liked this post