ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Mark 7:9
And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

The above^^has been quoted a few times now by our SDA friend in objection to certain Protestant practices and doctrines. It's piqued my interest to know how far we are willing to go in "keeping (our) own tradition. I'd like to ask [MENTION=1145]hobie[/MENTION] (or anyone) a question - but first, a reference:

1 Tim.2:9-10 said:
In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

1 Cor. 11:2 said:
Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you...Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head. But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven...udge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

Here, the Apostle appears to have commanded some ordinances, and praises the Corinthian church for keeping them. It also appears there was some controversy about clothing and hair - perhaps (speculation) some members were attending gatherings in an uncomely way - gaudy, excessive jewelry, and the like. What is the stance of the SDA on dress in the church in light of the Apostle's ordinances?

Additionally, Paul takes some time to address hair, coverings, and hair length. Some of the 'First Mennonites' close to my community still follow some of these perceived ordinances - not cutting their hair, wearing head coverings (like a cap), etc. Their dress is also quite plain. Same for the men - hair is kept short and dress is quite plain. Women wear no jewelry or make-up. I was also part of the United Pentecostal church for a few years - some were quite strict on taking Paul's instructions at face value. Even split ends were not trimmed - it was seen as an affront to God for scissors to even touch their hair. Skirts were the only acceptable dress. make-up and jewelry was expressly forbidden for women AND men. What is the stance of the SDA in light of the Apostle's ordinances?

hobie

Religious Affiliation
Seventh Day Adventist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Mark 7:9
And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

The above^^has been quoted a few times now by our SDA friend in objection to certain Protestant practices and doctrines. It's piqued my interest to know how far we are willing to go in "keeping (our) own tradition. I'd like to ask [MENTION=1145]hobie[/MENTION] (or anyone) a question - but first, a reference:

Here, the Apostle appears to have commanded some ordinances, and praises the Corinthian church for keeping them. It also appears there was some controversy about clothing and hair - perhaps (speculation) some members were attending gatherings in an uncomely way - gaudy, excessive jewelry, and the like. What is the stance of the SDA on dress in the church in light of the Apostle's ordinances?

Additionally, Paul takes some time to address hair, coverings, and hair length. Some of the 'First Mennonites' close to my community still follow some of these perceived ordinances - not cutting their hair, wearing head coverings (like a cap), etc. Their dress is also quite plain. Same for the men - hair is kept short and dress is quite plain. Women wear no jewelry or make-up. I was also part of the United Pentecostal church for a few years - some were quite strict on taking Paul's instructions at face value. Even split ends were not trimmed - it was seen as an affront to God for scissors to even touch their hair. Skirts were the only acceptable dress. make-up and jewelry was expressly forbidden for women AND men. What is the stance of the SDA in light of the Apostle's ordinances?

That is a hard question, as depending on the culture or even area, it can vary. Let me give you an example, when we got a new principal in a school in south Florida, the school board had a meeting on what was appropriate to wear to the beach where the picnic was to be held. He was from up north, and to say the least, couldn't figure out why they had to go over it, as it seemed very evident a bathing suit should cover all the appropriate areas of the body.

Well, there is a very different variety of bathing suits in Florida than in the rest of the country save for maybe California, some with torn holes or strips, and many too tight for modesty, etc.. and every year new ones came out with something that needed to be addressed. So you can see the issue......

As for what is the direction given, I think this is what your looking for...https://adventistbiblicalresearch.org/materials/practical-christian-living/display-and-adornment

hobie

Religious Affiliation
Seventh Day Adventist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Interesting link - thanks for that. There appears to be a variation in how strictly these ordinances are applied. Some would say they were cultural - this might be where the Lutheran church stands, I haven't looked at it in depth, and others would take a more conservative stance and appeal to the scripture itself as still being in force. As I mentioned, I was part of the UPC for a while and they were quite literal about the instruction. The only jewelry they allowed was similar to where the SDA stands - a wedding ring was allowed, but sometimes discouraged depending on how "conservative" that individual church within the denomination might have been

Top Bottom