CH Cash
      (5,693 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      87.03%

Importance of observing Communion

Headed for service in a few minutes. Due to work commitments I'm unable to attend four weeks at a time (four on-four off). I look forward to returning, anticipating participating in Communion. This week and next are "Non-Communion" services, focusing instead on some missions work and other "giving" programs. What is everyone's "take" on the importance of observing communion and the "putting it off" of the same - especially with next week being the first week of Advent?

***PLEASE do not steer this thread toward an observance/memorial/real-presence debate***

Particular is offline Apprentice Member
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      Finland
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      83.08%
      Communion can be celebrated and remembered at any time. Whether alone or with many. Whether with a pastor or without. The blessing is that God places no numerical restrictions or methodological restrictions on communion. He simply tells us to "do this in remembrance of me."
      May you enjoy a blessed communion with your Savior, even today.

3. Likes psalms 91, ImaginaryDay2 liked this post
      jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      89.05%
      I wish the church I went to celebrated it more often. I don't think they even do it quarterly as far as I can tell

Albion is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      48.89%
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      I wish the church I went to celebrated it more often. I don't think they even do it quarterly as far as I can tell
      The usual explanation churches give for doing that is they don't want people to take the sacrament/ordinance for granted. But in the churches which have Communion weekly, both Catholic and Protestant ones, there is no evidence of that happening. At the least, I would think that the once-per-quarter system would be changed to one per month.

6. Likes Josiah liked this post
      Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      35.66%
      The Lutheran Confessions state that Lutherans celebrate this weekly, however, practice is rarely required so this is a statement of what was done, not what must be done. My parish does this every Sunday and I think this is common but not universal among Lutherans.

Why is it important?

1. We are told to. "DO THIS often....." When God tells us to do something, it's likely a good idea to do it. Of course, "OFTEN" is rather subjective. But is 4 times a year "often?" If you and your spouse had sex 4 times a year, would you say that's clearly "often?" (lol.... but you get my point; perhaps).

2. There is forgiveness, grace, mercy. Those are good things to receive!

3. We are remembering Jesus - and the grace, mercy, forgiveness, salvation, etc. that are ours via His Body and Blood. And that seems good.

Now, for the Zwinglians among us, yeah.... it's hard to come up with any reason. It's just a symbolic thing (just like foot washing and circumcision - neither of whiich they ever do) but to them, there is this supremely ODD, very WEIRD, very inappropriate COMMAND to "do it." How inconvenient! My brothers huge Mega Church does it once at year, at a special evening service attended only by the ex-Catholics and ex-Lutherans in their midst) cuz well, like taxes, it's something you gotta do. I "get it" - if Communion is ONLY a symbol, then there really is no reason to do it except Jesus thought there was and commanded it.

Last edited by Josiah; 11-26-2019 at 11:35 AM.
      We are justified by works - just not our own.

8. Likes Confessional Lutheran liked this post
      ImaginaryDay2 is offline Expert Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Friendly

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (5,693 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      87.03%
      I was a bit surprised by not observing communion two weeks in a row - it's uncommon for us, but not unheard of I guess. I was just in a place where I felt I needed it. Our presentation form the 'mission boat' project this coming week will be interesting, though. It'll be a chance to hear about the work as well as an opportunity to take part in a mission trip with them next year to an island community in northern BC. I'd be very interested in doing that. Typically they work with indigenous (Native American) communities. Since I work in these communities in a secular context that kind of trip would be rewarding - especially experiencing Indigenous culture from a Christian worldview.

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (517,550 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      34.95%
      Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryDay2 View Post
      I was a bit surprised by not observing communion two weeks in a row - it's uncommon for us, but not unheard of I guess. I was just in a place where I felt I needed it. Our presentation form the 'mission boat' project this coming week will be interesting, though. It'll be a chance to hear about the work as well as an opportunity to take part in a mission trip with them next year to an island community in northern BC. I'd be very interested in doing that. Typically they work with indigenous (Native American) communities. Since I work in these communities in a secular context that kind of trip would be rewarding - especially experiencing Indigenous culture from a Christian worldview.
      Have you approached your pastor to ask if he would commune you privately at some point during those long periods where you can't attend services? I would question a pastor who denies it unless he has a good reason like he's in the hospital Most would probably just add you to their list for the day or evening that they do shut in visits. I have had private communion once but it was at my church before my cancer surgery and the pastor goes through a liturgy for it.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

1 John 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.

11. Likes Albion liked this post
      psalms 91 is offline Silver Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (5,076,458 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      52.88%
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      Have you approached your pastor to ask if he would commune you privately at some point during those long periods where you can't attend services? I would question a pastor who denies it unless he has a good reason like he's in the hospital Most would probably just add you to their list for the day or evening that they do shut in visits. I have had private communion once but it was at my church before my cancer surgery and the pastor goes through a liturgy for it.
      You do not need a pastor to do communion but if you want it then by all means request it
      Isaiah 40:31

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (517,550 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      34.95%
      Quote Originally Posted by psalms 91 View Post
      You do not need a pastor to do communion but if you want it then by all means request it
      God is a God of order and by the Divine call the Pastor is in charge of the flock and gives to them Word & Sacrament to feed them as they grow in faith.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

1 John 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.

psalms 91 is offline Silver Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (5,076,458 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      52.88%
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      God is a God of order and by the Divine call the Pastor is in charge of the flock and gives to them Word & Sacrament to feed them as they grow in faith.
      Agreed but no prohibition against doing communion in your home on your own, I know people that do this and it is ok with God
      Isaiah 40:31