IS CALLING UPON THE NAME OF THE LORD ONLY FOR ISRAEL ?

Doug

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

This verse is often used in the context of proclaiming the gospel of salvation, but in the context of Romans 10 it is best viewed as being directed to Israel.

The subject of Romans 10 is the salvation of Israel (Romans 10:1).

While Paul acknowledges the church calling upon the name of the Lord Jesus Christ in 1 Corinthians 1:2 he does so in a descriptive sense and in accord with Psalm 145:18; his citations of calling upon the Lord found in Romans 10 are strictly in regard to the believing remnant of Israel.

Acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

2:14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:

2:15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.

2:16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

Peter was speaking to Israel in verse 14. Peter said in verse 16 that this occurrence was according to the prophet Joel (Joel 2:28-29). Peter quoted Joel 2:32 in Acts 2:21 in saying "whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved".

Joel 2:32 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call.

In Joel it can be read that "whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered", which means they would be delivered to enter the Davidic kingdom on earth (Isaiah 2:2-3 Psalm 22:28 Luke 1:32). In Joel 2:32, calling on the name of the Lord is speaking in regard to the believing remnant of Israel.

Chapters 9, 10 and 11 of Romans are dealing with the salvation of Israel. The verses below in Romans further substantiate that Paul was speaking of the believing remnant of Israel and how calling on the Lord should therefore be viewed in this light.

Romans 10:19 But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you.

Romans 9:24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

9:25 As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.

9:26 And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.

9:27 Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved:

Israel, as can be seen in the above verses, would be provoked to jealousy by a foolish nation who are not a people (Deuteronomy 32:21); this foolish nation is the believing remant of Israel comprised of both Jew and Gentile (Romans 10:12); the people who were not a people, but called the children of God, the people of God (Hosea 1:10 Hosea 2:23 1 Peter 2:9-10).

Clearly, Romans 10:13 in speaking of calling on the name of the Lord is best applied to Israel.

Last edited:

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Wrong, we are grafted in so all the promises made to Israel are also made to us. There is neither Jew nor Greek, male or feamakle, free or slave. Why because the body of Christ is all one now.

Doug

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Wrong, we are grafted in so all the promises made to Israel are also made to us. There is neither Jew nor Greek, male or feamakle, free or slave. Why because the body of Christ is all one now.

The body of Christ is not Israel, but is a new creature (Galatians 6:15) and heirs with Christ (Galatians 3:29 Romans 8:17) not Israel

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
The body of Christ is not Israel, but is a new creature (Galatians 6:15) and heirs with Christ (Galatians 3:29 Romans 8:17) not Israel
You are right that we are not Israel but we are grafted in and as such we have the same promises and the same inheritance. There is no seperation in the body of Christ and those who say otherwise are only causing division

Doug

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
You are right that we are not Israel but we are grafted in and as such we have the same promises and the same inheritance. There is no seperation in the body of Christ and those who say otherwise are only causing division

We are not grafted into the good olive tree nor are we given Israel's promises.

In Romans 11 the teaching revolves around the believing remnant of the election of grace which does not pertain to the body of Christ. The remnant believed Christ and the apostles before Paul and consisted of Jew and Gentiles. Those Gentiles are the grafted in wild tree.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
We are not grafted into the good olive tree nor are we given Israel's promises.

In Romans 11 the teaching revolves around the believing remnant of the election of grace which does not pertain to the body of Christ. The remnant believed Christ and the apostles before Paul and consisted of Jew and Gentiles. Those Gentiles are the grafted in wild tree.

I will let you argue with scripture. Are you a child of Abraham? Do you deny that Paul spoke to this very thing?

Doug

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I will let you argue with scripture. Are you a child of Abraham? Do you deny that Paul spoke to this very thing?

Galatians 3 is all about not having to keep the law, its about faith and being children of Abraham by faith in Christ (Galatians 3:7 3:26) and being joint heirs with Christ (Romans 8:17)

Particular

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
If by Israel we mean the children of the promise, the Israel of God, then calling upon the name of the Lord is for Israel, since we call upon our King.

If by Israel you mean the biological descendents of Jacob, then calling upon the name of the Lord is not just for the secular nation.
I hold to the first position because of Romans 9.

But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel, and not all are children of Abraham because they are his offspring, but “Through Isaac shall your offspring be named.” This means that it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as offspring. For this is what the promise said: “About this time next year I will return, and Sarah shall have a son.” And not only so, but also when Rebekah had conceived children by one man, our forefather Isaac, though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God’s purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls— she was told, “The older will serve the younger.” As it is written, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.” What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God’s part? By no means! For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills. You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory— even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles?
~ Romans 9:6-24

Top Bottom