1 CORINTHIANS 1:10 DIVISIONS IN THE CHURCH

Doug

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Unity in the body of Christ is dependent upon having the same mind and the same judgment. Knowledge and instruction stems from having the mind of Christ revealed to us (1 Corinthians 2:16) by the preaching of Christ according to the mystery (1 Corinthians 2:7 Romans 16:25).

The mystery was revealed to Paul from the Lord Jesus Christ (Ephesians 3:2-4). The mystery is the redemption found by the cross and shed blood of Jesus Christ, by which, all are freely justified by faith (Romans 3:21-26). The mystery is the church, the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:27 Ephesians 3:6).

1:11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.

1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

The Corinthians were creating contentions over baptismal issues of who was commended to have authority over the church.

3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

3:4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?

The Corinthians were carnal in that they lacked spiritual discernment.

3:5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?

3:6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

Paul was stating that they were to be viewed as ministers who preached the word of salvation.

4:1 Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God.

Paul was entrusted with the mysteries revealed to him by Christ and was a faithful steward over them (Colossians 2:2).

4:14 I write not these things to shame you, but as my beloved sons I warn you.

4:15 For though ye have ten thousand instructers in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

4:16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.

Paul admonished the Corinthians to be followers of him (1 Corinthians 11:1). They were to acknowledge the authority and position given Paul over the church by Christ (1 Timothy 2:7). To have the unity derived from having the same mind they were to follow Paul in acknowledging the doctrine revealed to him from Christ (1 Corinthians 14:6 Romans 16:17 1 Timothy 1:3 1 Timothy 4:6 2 Timothy 3:10). Division in the church results from not all solely following the revealed doctrine of Paul.

Last edited:

RichWh1

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes. Paul admonished the Corinthians for 6 chapters in his letter. It was not until chapter 7 he began to answer their questions.

Yes they were carnal bragging that some were better than others.
They also boasted about their spiritual gifts

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Paul admonished them to follow Christ and nobody else.

You are right that they were carnal. That is why there were divisions among them. They seemed to have a pride problem and wanted to speak in tongues. But, Paul told them the better spiritual gifts were ones where they exhorted others.

Top Bottom