Does Daniel 11 prophesy about events fulfilled in Maccabees?

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
If so, then why are we being discouraged from reading Maccabees?

RichWh1

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
If so, then why are we being discouraged from reading Maccabees?

No one is discouraging others from reading the Books of Maccabees. In fact many scholars encourage the reading of them because they are history of the Jews

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No one is discouraging others from reading the Books of Maccabees. In fact many scholars encourage the reading of them because they are history of the Jews

I was raised in a Protestant church, and I was in fact discouraged from reading those books. I’ve been continually discouraged from reading them from virtually everyone at my church, and I’ve seen plenty of videos of pastors discouraging people from reading them.

Sorry, but you can’t lie to me. I know what’s going on.

RichWh1

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I was raised in a Protestant church, and I was in fact discouraged from reading those books. I’ve been continually discouraged from reading them from virtually everyone at my church, and I’ve seen plenty of videos of pastors discouraging people from reading them.

At college I studied the New Testament and prefaced to the gospels we did a history of pre New Testament and that dealt with the Maccabees ( called the inter testamental period.
I don’t remember being prevented from reading the history of the inter-testamental period.

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
At college I studied the New Testament and prefaced to the gospels we did a history of pre New Testament and that dealt with the Maccabees ( called the inter testamental period.
I don’t remember being prevented from reading the history of the inter-testamental period.

I said discouraged, not prevented.
There’s a general discouragement from most Christians in church that those books are historically inaccurate, contain heresies, were added to the Bible by Catholics, and don’t belong. This general attitude discourages most kids in church from reading them.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I said discouraged, not prevented.
There’s a general discouragement from most Christians in church that those books are historically inaccurate, contain heresies, were added to the Bible by Catholics, and don’t belong. This general attitude discourages most kids in church from reading them.
Yup, these "uninspired" but "encouraged" books sure do speak a lot about God and his guidance, if it wasn't God then who was it? A false god? Why would it be encouraged then if they aren't really speaking to the Lord God? hmmmmm

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

because the Protestant church doesn't consider them scripture

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
because the Protestant church doesn't consider them scripture
So you agree with him that the Protestant church discourages Maccabees and other "Apocryoha" because they are considered uninspired scripture?
Martin Luther (a very openly opinionated man) says in his summery of 1rst and 2nd Maccabees
7c67e7034d5062c87b04950cd63b6ef1.jpg
3045d1b531eee8ef83bf262bbb6faf29.jpg

Last edited:

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
So you agree with him that the Protestant church discourages Maccabees and other "Apocryoha" because they are considered uninspired scripture?
Martin Luther (a very openly opinionated man) says in his summery of 1rst and 2cnd Maccabees

I guess some people today don’t want us to understand the prophecies of Daniel 11. But Martin Luther did.

Now, who do you think doesn’t want us to understand Biblical prophecy? God, or the Devil?

So, are the people telling us not to read these books being inspired by God, or by Satan?

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I guess some people today don’t want us to understand the prophecies of Daniel 11. But Martin Luther did.

Now, who do you think doesn’t want us to understand Biblical prophecy? God, or the Devil?

So, are the people telling us not to read these books being inspired by God, or by Satan?
Yup, he clearly understood the prophesy
606c0f35823589830f8f69ffe78e1f01.jpg

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

No one here is inspired to deceive I guarantee you that my friend, the pickle we are in is that in our era of abundant information we can connect dots that had remained dormant, actually lost, for some time.
For many here I believe they truly won't accept these books as sacred scripture (which is what the word "Apocrypha" ironically means "Sacred") -because the history of the reformation period of time is so important and controversial that they miss the fact that the first loved of Christ, our early brothers and sisters and our Church Fathers had absolutely NOTHING to do with false teachings entering into the church, they were persecuted and hung on to every word of scripture centuries before Constantine put Christianity under Roman Rule, these men were martyred for Christ's Name sake and yet we have documents of them as well as Josephus and in agreement even to the NT that the Septuagint was a copy of the sacred Holy hebrew text successfully translated to Greek just in the divine knick of time for gentiles to have them available for the time of Christ to testify against the Christ rejecting Jews who would have done the gentile Christians no favors by handing over their Holy books.. If it weren't for the Septuagint greek translation we would have had no OT, at least not for another 1000 years when the Masoretic was canon :/

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Martin Luther (a very openly opinionated man) says in his summery of 1rst and 2nd Maccabees

Yes, I am agreeing that it is discouraged because it was not included in the canon of scripture and is considered uninspired. if you want to read it though please go ahead

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I am agreeing that it is discouraged because it was not included in the canon of scripture and is considered uninspired. if you want to read it though please go ahead

Why would you discourage someone from reading the history of the Maccabees? You can’t understand the prophecies of Daniel 8 and 11 without it. You also can’t understand what Paul was talking about in Hebrews 11:35 without it. So why would you discourage people from being able to understand the Bible?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
So interesting when people who are not Lutherans quote him as the infallible, authoritative one.....

When quoting Luther, it's always good to note not only where but when he said that - and in what context. Luther was a Catholic for good portion of his life, and there were many years of transition.

Of course, I've quoted Luther (with a date) when he very clearly states that the unique set of Deutero/Apocrypha books typically included in the lectionary and Catholic Bibles in GERMANY during his years as a Catholic teacher which Luther included with the Scriptures in his German tome, he clearly stated "these are not canonical." He encourages people to read "them" he says they are "useful" and of course "they" are IN his German Bible (one MORE OT book than modern Catholic Bibles) but he makes it clear that in his personal opinion, they are not canonical; good to include with the Scriptures but not canonical. My study Bible has a LOT of stuff in it included with the Scriptures that not one person on the planet considers canonical (Maps, etc.)

I reject the premise that if something is good to read, ERGO it must be the inerrant, divinely and verbatlly inspired words of God and thus canonical for Chrsitian teaching/doctrine. I can think of a few hundred books I'd recommend every Christian read but I wouldn't regard a single word in any of them to be the inscripturated words of God OR canonical.

Is the Prophecy of Daniel 11 fulfilled in some book? No. Is it POSSIBLE that something mentioned in a book is the fulfillment of such? Sure, it's POSSIBLE. Even if that book were NOT at all Scripture or canonical. Why..... how many books talk about
Christmas (many canonical Books prophecy that event) but does that make every book and song and poem about Christmas ERGO canonical inspired words of God of EXACTLY the same nature and use as say the Letter to the Romans in our NT?

Top Bottom