Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I just thought it was funny the way the Democrats said voting Johnson was effectively voting Trump while Republicans said voting Johnson was effectively voting Clinton.

There was silly old me thinking a vote for Johnson was effectively a vote for Johnson. I get the reasoning behind it - in a similar vein I guess the people who voted for Ralph Nader in 2000 were unlikely to have chosen Bush had they been forced to choose between the major parties - I just found it funny.
Ah, yes. Now that I read this, it makes sense and I do see why it is funny.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I saw a meme somewhere that suggested the following sequence might be possible, even if only in theory. Is this seriously possible, even if vanishingly unlikely?

1. Trump is impeached, Pence made president
2. Pence pardons Trump, appoints Trump as VP
3. Pence resigns as president, Trump made president
4. Trump appoints Pence as VP

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I was thinking how the 2016 election went poorly because NO ONE really liked either candidate. If a 3rd party came along that was likeable, didn't lean too far one way or the other and millennials used social media, chats, memes, etc like they do to promote everything else that goes viral, we could have potentially had a different President in office. You know how fast memes catch on?

Lamm,

IMO....

1. There is no such person right now.

2. It's too late. Elections cost SO MUCH money that candidates work for YEARS to raise enough money to make a run.... this starts virtually the day after the last election. Trump has been to California several times, ALWAYS to raise money for his re-election. I just don't see any independent or "third party" candidate with the deep pockets (close to one billion) to essentially foot the bill for a campaign that almost surely will not succeed; anyone smart enough to have that kind of money just lying around with doing to do with it isn't going to essentially throw it away on a campaign almost surely to be lost. They want OTHERS to foot the bill. Any serious run would have begun one to two years ago.

Last edited:

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
You can’t just appoint a VP. It needs confirmation by both houses.
You also can’t pardon someone from any penalties imposed by the Senate. You can pardon them for any Federal crimes they may have committed.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You can’t just appoint a VP. It needs confirmation by both houses.
You also can’t pardon someone from any penalties imposed by the Senate. You can pardon them for any Federal crimes they may have committed.

That makes sense. When I first read the idea it seemed outlandish but then sometimes there are quirks in the rules that you wouldn't expect.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Lamm,

IMO....

1. There is no such person right now.

2. It's too late. Elections cost SO MUCH money that candidates work for YEARS to raise enough money to make a run.... this starts virtually the day after the last election. Trump has been to California several times, ALWAYS to raise money for his re-election. I just don't see any independent or "third party" candidate with the deep pockets (close to one billion) to essentially foot the bill for a campaign that almost surely will not succeed; anyone smart enough to have that kind of money just lying around with doing to do with it isn't going to essentially throw it away on a campaign almost surely to be lost. They want OTHERS to foot the bill. Any serious run would have begun one to two years ago.

Your perspective is on target. Therefore, the only way that anyone who is convinced of the benefits of going third party at this point in time can do it as anything more than a lark is to get with one of the existing parties, and I don't mean one of those that exists but doesn't have ballot status in more than a couple of states.

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
I don't think the Republicans would want to go thru with this. They would want another nominee. I could be wrong - but it would just look plain dumb I think!

However, though, I'm quite sure the red states love Trump and would elect him - impeachment or not - one factor being the "deplorables" comment by Hillary - lol.

I saw a meme somewhere that suggested the following sequence might be possible, even if only in theory. Is this seriously possible, even if vanishingly unlikely?

1. Trump is impeached, Pence made president
2. Pence pardons Trump, appoints Trump as VP
3. Pence resigns as president, Trump made president
4. Trump appoints Pence as VP

Funny :disgonbegood:

Last edited:
Top Bottom