The false doctrine of the immortality of the soul (or State of the Dead).

hobie

Religious Affiliation
Seventh Day Adventist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
One of the most deceptive doctrines of Satan is the doctrine of the immortality of the soul. This doctrine more than any other opens the door to spurious views regarding the afterlife, and it has permeated the religious world with its false promises and claims. Moreover, it offers false promises of ways other than Christ, that can be made in terms of one’s salvation. Communication with evil spirits, reincarnation and necromancy or the worship and consulting of the dead are some the things which come in because of this doctrine. The Bible is clear to stay away from these things rooted in a false perception of death. It has deceived many to believe that when we die, we have a separate "soul" that continues to live on. Those who are bad go to "hell" and the good go to heaven, so what need do they have of Christ. This belief came from the Pagan world and Greek philosophy, not the Bible. So what is the truth? Take a look at how we were created:

Genesis 2:7 ...'And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul'

Now according to the popular belief today, we are a soul that lives on after we are dead. But can you see the truth in the above Bible verse? Man BECAME a "living soul" with the breath of God (spirit) in him. So what will happen when that breath of God (spirit) goes out? ... Genesis 3:19 ...' In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.'

We have the breath of God that keeps us alive and makes us "living souls". But without that breath of God in us, we become dust or break down to the most basic elements. We were not given a soul, we are living souls while we are alive.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
OK what goes to hell or heaven? Remember that the spirit returns unto God and the body goes in the grave and as you said turns to dust

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Where does it say your soul ceases to exist at death in scripture?

hobie

Religious Affiliation
Seventh Day Adventist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
OK what goes to hell or heaven? Remember that the spirit returns unto God and the body goes in the grave and as you said turns to dust

Look at what Christ said and did and it shows you. Look at when speaking to His disciples about Lazarus, Jesus said:

Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go that I may awake him out of sleep. Then said his disciples, if he sleep he shall do well. Howbeit, Jesus spoke of his death; but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep. Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead. John 11:11-14

The disciples were confused and thought Christ meant natural sleep, but He meant the sleep of death.
On His arrival Jesus found that Lazarus had already been four days in the tomb.

"Then when Jesus came, he found that he had lain in the grave four days already." John 11:17

While conversing with Martha, He tried to comfort her by saying,
'Thy brother shall rise again.' Martha saith unto him, 'I know that He shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.' John 11:23,24

Martha knew that life would be restored to Lazarus only in the resurrection at the last day. Jesus demonstrated through the resurrection of Lazarus that He was the One who could resurrect the dead according to His claim:

I am the resurrection and the life. John 11:25

The Scriptures in both Old and New Testaments are very clear on this issue. Life to the dead will be restored in the resurrection on the last day. There will be separate resurrections for the righteous and for the wicked.

John 5:28-29 states:
"Marvel not at this; for the hour is coming, in which all that are in the graves shall hear His voice, and shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil unto the resurrection of damnation. "

Then you have Thessalonians 4:16 which states:
"For the Lord Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ shall rise first. "

Christ and the scripture are clear about the resurrection, those for the saints and those for the wicked for damnation:

"But the rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection." Revelation 20:5

That same voice that raised Lazarus from the grave will be heard on that last day of this world's history, calling forth those who have slept in the graves of the earth. Christ will recreate the righteous dead, or "dead in Christ", and breathe into them the breath of eternal life, and they shall enter Heaven.

Revelation 20:6:
"Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection."

When Jesus called Lazarus from the tomb,
...he cried with a loud voice, 'Lazarus, come forth'. John 11:43

That voice raised dead Lazarus to life. "He that was dead came forth", and Jesus said:
Loose him, and let him go. John 11:44

Nothing at all is stated about what transpired during those four days in which Lazarus was dead. Christ made no statement, neither did Martha or even Lazarus himself. The fact, of course, is that there was nothing to report about what happened after he died, no bright lights or gentle clouds or about the realm of the dead, simply because he had experienced the sleep of death which is a state of absolute silence and oblivion.

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten." Ecclesiastes 9:5

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Look at what Christ said and did and it shows you. Look at when speaking to His disciples about Lazarus, Jesus said:

Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go that I may awake him out of sleep. Then said his disciples, if he sleep he shall do well. Howbeit, Jesus spoke of his death; but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep. Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead. John 11:11-14

The disciples were confused and thought Christ meant natural sleep, but He meant the sleep of death.
On His arrival Jesus found that Lazarus had already been four days in the tomb.

"Then when Jesus came, he found that he had lain in the grave four days already." John 11:17

While conversing with Martha, He tried to comfort her by saying,
'Thy brother shall rise again.' Martha saith unto him, 'I know that He shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.' John 11:23,24

Martha knew that life would be restored to Lazarus only in the resurrection at the last day. Jesus demonstrated through the resurrection of Lazarus that He was the One who could resurrect the dead according to His claim:

I am the resurrection and the life. John 11:25

The Scriptures in both Old and New Testaments are very clear on this issue. Life to the dead will be restored in the resurrection on the last day. There will be separate resurrections for the righteous and for the wicked.

John 5:28-29 states:
"Marvel not at this; for the hour is coming, in which all that are in the graves shall hear His voice, and shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil unto the resurrection of damnation. "

Then you have Thessalonians 4:16 which states:
"For the Lord Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ shall rise first. "

Christ and the scripture are clear about the resurrection, those for the saints and those for the wicked for damnation:

"But the rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection." Revelation 20:5

That same voice that raised Lazarus from the grave will be heard on that last day of this world's history, calling forth those who have slept in the graves of the earth. Christ will recreate the righteous dead, or "dead in Christ", and breathe into them the breath of eternal life, and they shall enter Heaven.

Revelation 20:6:
"Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection."

When Jesus called Lazarus from the tomb,
...he cried with a loud voice, 'Lazarus, come forth'. John 11:43

That voice raised dead Lazarus to life. "He that was dead came forth", and Jesus said:
Loose him, and let him go. John 11:44

Nothing at all is stated about what transpired during those four days in which Lazarus was dead. Christ made no statement, neither did Martha or even Lazarus himself. The fact, of course, is that there was nothing to report about what happened after he died, no bright lights or gentle clouds or about the realm of the dead, simply because he had experienced the sleep of death which is a state of absolute silence and oblivion.

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten." Ecclesiastes 9:5
Not sure if you meant to; but you just showed how those "dead" in spirit can both hear and follow. Thanks for that.

Good topic.

peace

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
One of the most deceptive doctrines of Satan is the doctrine of the immortality of the soul.

Christianity Haven Rules

Exodus 20:2-3 I am the Lord your God...you shall have no other gods before me.
Promotion of non-Christian beliefs is not allowed.

I suppose a cult doesn't count as 'non-Christian,' though.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Thread has been moved to World Religion and Speculative Theology.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
39 One of the criminals who were hanged there was hurling abuse at Him, saying, "Are You not the Christ? Save Yourself and us!" 40 But the other answered, and rebuking him said, "Do you not even fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? 41 "And we indeed are suffering justly, for we are receiving what we deserve for our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong." 42 And he was saying, "Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!" 43 And He said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise." [Luke 23:39-43 NASB]

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps it is that the dead do not perceive the length of which they spend dead, until having been brought up to judgement maybe. Is it written that Christ spend three days in the depths of the earth preaching the Gospel to the souls there? Did the thief join Him there? I don't think so. Today can also mean this age or time or aeon, and is not always literally simply a 24 hour period or the passing of the between evenings.

That verse could even be taken as a proclamation saying "today I tell you" basically. Don't think they used commas in Greek; maybe in Aramaic, but I doubt it.

Lastly; the thief could have been an extenuating circumstance based on the man's observably submitting to GOD and repenting.

I don't think souls are inherently immortal on their own. There is one who is the self existent; and the giver of life.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

Top Bottom