... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Woah there, hang on a minute.... you mean to say that a 15-year-old isn't naturally versed in climate science all on her very own?

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Woah there, hang on a minute.... you mean to say that a 15-year-old isn't naturally versed in climate science all on her very own?
How dare you!

Michael

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure that the planet heating up has much to do with lukewarmness in the church. If the church were to face persecution (and I don't mean people being told they aren't allowed to wear a little silver cross to work) it would certainly shake out those who weren't serious about their faith. The climate changing such that many currently inhabited areas become uninhabitable wouldn't be exclusive to the church - anyone living in those areas would have to relocate.

There is a Kingdom principle that is Eternal.
"If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land." - 2Chron 7:14

We're concerned that Styrofoam, Freon and Petroleum products are destroying our planet by causing the climate to heat up, or cool down... (can't keep track anymore, especially as it's been changing every season as long as I can remember), and yet we don't see that our God has provided us a clear answer in His Word.
A question I would pose to us all... Are we really "believers" if we don't "believe" everything He said?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Are we really "believers" if we don't "believe" everything He said?

Well, yes, because our faith is not perfected quite yet. Our sinful human nature gets in the way. It's not about how much faith we have but that we have it.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There is a Kingdom principle that is Eternal.
"If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land." - 2Chron 7:14

We're concerned that Styrofoam, Freon and Petroleum products are destroying our planet by causing the climate to heat up, or cool down... (can't keep track anymore, especially as it's been changing every season as long as I can remember), and yet we don't see that our God has provided us a clear answer in His Word.
A question I would pose to us all... Are we really "believers" if we don't "believe" everything He said?

You're mixing and matching here in a way that really doesn't work.

"If my people.... will repent.... I will heal their land". What is this referring to? If we try and map it directly onto our modern world, who are "God's people" and what is "their land"? When applied to the Israelites of the time it was written it makes sense - God's people were clearly identified, as was their land. To argue that if Christians were to repent the world would suddenly be healed of all the pollution caused by others seems like a misreading of the Scriptures to me.

We might as well set out on a personal crusade to get rid of all the plastic in the ocean. After all, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength", right?

Better still, Job 22:28 says "You will declare a thing and it will be established for you", so let's just declare the oceans to be free of pollution and the earth to no longer be warming. That was easy.

Michael

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

"If my people.... will repent.... I will heal their land". What is this referring to? If we try and map it directly onto our modern world, who are "God's people" and what is "their land"? When applied to the Israelites of the time it was written it makes sense - God's people were clearly identified, as was their land. To argue that if Christians were to repent the world would suddenly be healed of all the pollution caused by others seems like a misreading of the Scriptures to me.

We might as well set out on a personal crusade to get rid of all the plastic in the ocean. After all, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength", right?

Better still, Job 22:28 says "You will declare a thing and it will be established for you", so let's just declare the oceans to be free of pollution and the earth to no longer be warming. That was easy.

There are Kingdom principles which are Eternal. All the troubles came upon ancient Israel because they refuse to obey God. He told them directly several times that He would "heal" them or "curse" them dependent on their behavior.
Besides 2Chron 7:14, we have Ex 15:26, Deut 11:1-28 and Deut 28:1-68, in which God tells His people how their obedience or disobedience will affect not only their personal health and well-being, but the condition of their crops, the weather and the animals in their midst.

Our God does not change. His Elect are His people. And if His hand is upon us, here in America in the 20th Century, for His purpose, are we not "His people"? "even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
25 As He says also in Hosea:
“I will call them My people, who were not My people,
And her beloved, who was not beloved.”
26 “And it shall come to pass in the place where it was said to them,
‘You are not My people,’
There they shall be called sons of the living God.”

- Rom 9:24-26

Paul's was a personal assertion in Phil 4:13, not a blanket statement for the church-goers. And in Job 22, we have Eliphaz admonishing Job concerning his own personal faith, not worldwide affairs.
And you may not agree, and that's fine, but I blame the great bulk of problems in the world on the Church, including the condition of our land. But we will fix absolutely nothing by protests and marches, or even recycling and reduction; only by Repentance from sin.

And yes! Of this I am absolutely certain.

(in fact I've been working on a novel based on that very fact for the past couple years. Hoping to wrap it up one day. :type:)

Peace & Blessings. :ange06:

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There are Kingdom principles which are Eternal. All the troubles came upon ancient Israel because they refuse to obey God. He told them directly several times that He would "heal" them or "curse" them dependent on their behavior.
Besides 2Chron 7:14, we have Ex 15:26, Deut 11:1-28 and Deut 28:1-68, in which God tells His people how their obedience or disobedience will affect not only their personal health and well-being, but the condition of their crops, the weather and the animals in their midst.

Our God does not change. His Elect are His people. And if His hand is upon us, here in America in the 20th Century, for His purpose, are we not "His people"? "even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
‘You are not My people,’

Yes, some principles are eternal but others are far more physical and practical. If my neighbor is dumping toxic waste on my land then my crops are going to die regardless of whether or not I repent of my sins.

Paul's was a personal assertion in Phil 4:13, not a blanket statement for the church-goers. And in Job 22, we have Eliphaz admonishing Job concerning his own personal faith, not worldwide affairs.
And you may not agree, and that's fine, but I blame the great bulk of problems in the world on the Church, including the condition of our land. But we will fix absolutely nothing by protests and marches, or even recycling and reduction; only by Repentance from sin.

Of course, my point was that context is key. If we pluck something out of Scripture and try to apply it where it doesn't belong the results aren't likely to be helpful. If (and that's a big IF) the problems facing our world relate to carbon emissions then we will achieve more, environmentally speaking, by reducing carbon emissions than by repenting of sinfulness. You know, the rain falls on the just and the unjust, and pollution affects the just and the unjust as well. But sticking with the topic of the thread, people flying across the world to talk about why we shouldn't fly not only achieves little but undoes the message they are trying to preach. In the case of this particular teenager it seems she decided her time was more valuable than the environment, so she sacrificed the message for some convenience and became another "do what I say, not what I do" type who can be safely ignored.

When we talk of the 21st century world and 21st century Christians, I won't argue that we are God's people but what is "our land"? The verse from Chronicles was written in a time when God's people were the Israelites and their land was Israel. In this day and age what are the boundaries of "our land"? What if my neighbor is not a Christian - does his land count? If he burns plastic in the barrel at the end of his yard, does my air quality not suffer even if I spend my entire life in my knees?

To be clear, I'm not arguing that we shouldn't repent, just that the issue is about more than whether or not we repent.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
This cartoon is pretty funny, I agree with it
0df7eff9d96cdf09f4de0a6645c80e0d.jpg

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It would be a good one, if all the things offered were likely to come to pass. But slavishly focusing on carbon emissions is unlikely to achieve much of anything, other than a return to the 1950s if not the 1850s.

It would make for a much easier, cleaner, less stressful life if we could just use less stuff in the first place. If we could go back to a time when one parent could choose to stay home and raise their children. When you could walk to the local grocery store and meet with others from the community, when the post office was a social hub, and so on. But the people with all the power are unlikely to let go of it unless they are forced, and bleating about carbon isn't going to change that.

If we want clean air, clean water etc we need to use less energy, not undertake hideous mining operations to extract things like lithium from the ground, dumping nasty problems on other nations just so we can feel good about not burning gasoline. Even when we look at simple things, like when we used paper bags for groceries and reused them until they fell apart. We didn't do "the green thing", we just didn't go through plastic bags. When a house would have one small TV in it, rather than having multiple honking great sets. When the house would be cooled by opening windows and maybe using a fan, rather than having air conditioning in every room. When the house was heated with a log fire or a coal fire, and when the fire went out the house cooled down, rather than having central heating in every room. When kids would walk to school rather than being driven four blocks in a 300hp SUV.

How will any of the proposed changes create energy independence? How many batteries does it take to provide the same amount of energy as a barrel of oil, and where do the materials to make the batteries come from? What happens if we shift to solar and wind power, when the sun isn't shining and the wind isn't blowing, or when either or both are present but not generating enough power? We need to fall back on something else, like burning fuels. Or we need to accept power failures as a regular fact of life. Power failures are really fun in July when you can't run the air conditioning, or in January when you really want the furnace to fire up but it can't because you don't have power.

Green jobs are great in theory but unless they are economically viable you might as well be paying people to dig holes and fill them in again. If the only way an industry can survive is with huge government subsidies then sooner or later it collapses.

Health in children is better achieved by watching the content of their diet and getting them out and moving more, than by fussing over whether our vehicles use an internal combustion engine or a battery. It doesn't help them much if we feel bad about carbon emissions and so embark on a program of planting trees in Ecuador, if we're still letting them shovel processed garbage into their mouths and driving them everywhere so they don't have to walk.

I guess the bottom line is that many of these things are largely unrelated to the current section of the green movement that fusses about carbon, all the while burning carbon to get their message across.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

So are you suggesting that the passage in 2 Chronicles 7:14 doesn't apply to us at all?

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
So are you suggesting that the passage in 2 Chronicles 7:14 doesn't apply to us at all?

In the context it was presented, yes. Of course we should repent but when the passage was written it applied to God's people (the ancient Israelites) and their land (Israel). If it is presented as being directly applicable in the same way in the modern age we need to discuss who God's people are (presumably Christians) and what "our land" means in this context. Since this is a US-based board, is anyone suggesting that if Christians in the US repent then the land known as the United States will be healed (whatever that means) even while the non-Christian population continues to pollute it?

Today if we repent God forgives our sins. That doesn't necessarily take away secular consequences of our sins.

If someone would like to make a coherent case for why the verse is directly applicable today then by all means have at it. Quoting a single verse with little regard to the context isn't a useful contribution, hence my comparable usages of Php 4:13 and Job 22:28.

Michael

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
In the context it was presented, yes. Of course we should repent but when the passage was written it applied to God's people (the ancient Israelites) and their land (Israel). If it is presented as being directly applicable in the same way in the modern age we need to discuss who God's people are (presumably Christians) and what "our land" means in this context. Since this is a US-based board, is anyone suggesting that if Christians in the US repent then the land known as the United States will be healed (whatever that means) even while the non-Christian population continues to pollute it?

Today if we repent God forgives our sins. That doesn't necessarily take away secular consequences of our sins.

If someone would like to make a coherent case for why the verse is directly applicable today then by all means have at it. Quoting a single verse with little regard to the context isn't a useful contribution, hence my comparable usages of Php 4:13 and Job 22:28.

Challenge gladly accepted!

As I mentioned earlier, our God does not change. And His Kingdom principles are indeed Eternal. And indeed, the "healing of the land" includes our heathen neighbors. God is not waiting for them to repent, but for His people who are "called by His Name" (see 2Tim 2:19, and we see that this includes "Christians.") to repent and "depart from iniquity."

All the troubles came upon ancient Israel because they refused to obey God. He told them directly several times that He would "heal" them or "curse" them dependent on their behavior.
Besides 2Chron 7:14, we have Ex 15:26, Deut 11:1-28 and Deut 28:1-68, in which God tells His people how their obedience or disobedience will affect not only their personal health and well-being, but the condition of their crops, the weather and the animals in their midst. Paul says a couple times in 1Cor 10 that what happened to them is an example for us (1Cor 10:6 & 1Cor 10:11)

Our God does not change. His Elect are His people. And if His hand is upon us, here in America in the 21st Century, for His purpose, are we not "His people"? "even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
‘You are not My people,’

And yes! Of this I am absolutely certain.

(in fact I've been working on a novel based on that very fact for the past couple years. Hoping to wrap it up one day. :type:)

Peace & Blessings. :ange06:

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Challenge gladly accepted!

As I mentioned earlier, our God does not change. And His Kingdom principles are indeed Eternal. And indeed, the "healing of the land" includes our heathen neighbors. God is not waiting for them to repent, but for His people who are "called by His Name" (see 2Tim 2:19, and we see that this includes "Christians.") to repent and "depart from iniquity."

All the troubles came upon ancient Israel because they refused to obey God. He told them directly several times that He would "heal" them or "curse" them dependent on their behavior.
Besides 2Chron 7:14, we have Ex 15:26, Deut 11:1-28 and Deut 28:1-68, in which God tells His people how their obedience or disobedience will affect not only their personal health and well-being, but the condition of their crops, the weather and the animals in their midst. Paul says a couple times in 1Cor 10 that what happened to them is an example for us (1Cor 10:6 & 1Cor 10:11)

Our God does not change. His Elect are His people. And if His hand is upon us, here in America in the 21st Century, for His purpose, are we not "His people"? "even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
‘You are not My people,’

You still haven't addressed my underlying question. In the times of the ancient Israelites "God's people" were the Israelites and "their land" was Israel. Now "God's people" are scattered across the world and there is so place that can be referred to as "their land" in the same sense that Israel was "their land" when the books of Chronicles were written.

Do you believe that if burning fossil fuels causes climate change, climate change can be stopped by repenting of sins rather than reducing the use of fossil fuels? Will the widespread repentence of Christians across America stop other nations dumping toxic waste into the oceans? You've come up with some fine-sounding words with a few Scriptures thrown in but without answering the question.

Michael

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
You still haven't addressed my underlying question. In the times of the ancient Israelites "God's people" were the Israelites and "their land" was Israel. Now "God's people" are scattered across the world and there is so place that can be referred to as "their land" in the same sense that Israel was "their land" when the books of Chronicles were written.

Do you believe that if burning fossil fuels causes climate change, climate change can be stopped by repenting of sins rather than reducing the use of fossil fuels? Will the widespread repentence of Christians across America stop other nations dumping toxic waste into the oceans? You've come up with some fine-sounding words with a few Scriptures thrown in but without answering the question.

I believe I have answered the question. ;)

If we limit the promises of God to just the physical nation and people of Israel we do His Word great injustice. Being "grafted in" we Gentiles become part of that "one olive Tree" and "fellow partakers of the promise" , indeed the promises of God given throughout the old Testament and the New.
Again, the "land" receives healing when God's people repent and obey. Does His promise become of none effect if His people dwell outside the physical (and ever changing) borders of Israel? Of course not. That would mean that if the Jews in America repented God could bring only restoration to Israel in the Middle East, but not the USA.
Those who have been called by God as His Elect affect everything around them when they obey Him. I absolutely believe that if the Church in America (not the masses of church-goers, but His Elect) actually did "humble themselves and pray and seek His face and turn from their wicked ways" that God would bring real restoration to this nation, or any nation in which His people did these things.
This whole "climate change" nonsense is only a distraction, as is so much else of what goes in, especially in our churches... all designed to keep God's people from actually "turning from their sin" and "obeying His commands" given through Christ Jesus & His Apostles.
Do we really believe that man can thwart God's plan by destroying the planet He established, with our methane & refrigerant & hairspray, before He can bring about the end of the world His way?
OR... is it possible that God will bring about one of the promised plaques in Revelation by the means of "global warming" which of course comes because God's people refuse to repent. It always comes back to Repentance: an actual turning away and ceasing from sin.

"Then the fourth angel poured out his bowl on the sun, and power was given to him to scorch men with fire. 9 And men were scorched with great heat, and they blasphemed the name of God who has power over these plagues; and they did not repent and give Him glory." - Rev 16:8-9

Last edited:

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You didn't answer the question because you didn't address what "their land" means if you try and apply 2Ch7:14 to the modern age. If God promises that if "his people" repent he will heal "their land", we can establish that in this age "his people" include Gentiles but have to determine what counts as "their land". If I repent will God heal my land in the sense of the little patch of land that I personally own, or does the healing spread to my neighbor's land even if he doesn't repent? If I repent while my neighbor dumps toxic waste right next to the boundary line, does my land still get healed or does the toxic waste poison my land?

Your comment about climate change undoes any claim that God will "heal their land" in this age given the long term plan is clearly to destroy so much of it. Unless you want to argue that the events of the Revelation can be stalled or cancelled by people repenting (which rather flies in the face of what the Revelation actually says). I'm not sure how you conclude that the people blaspheming God's name are God's people.

Michael

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
You didn't answer the question because you didn't address what "their land" means if you try and apply 2Ch7:14 to the modern age. If God promises that if "his people" repent he will heal "their land", we can establish that in this age "his people" include Gentiles but have to determine what counts as "their land". If I repent will God heal my land in the sense of the little patch of land that I personally own, or does the healing spread to my neighbor's land even if he doesn't repent? If I repent while my neighbor dumps toxic waste right next to the boundary line, does my land still get healed or does the toxic waste poison my land?

Your comment about climate change undoes any claim that God will "heal their land" in this age given the long term plan is clearly to destroy so much of it. Unless you want to argue that the events of the Revelation can be stalled or cancelled by people repenting (which rather flies in the face of what the Revelation actually says). I'm not sure how you conclude that the people blaspheming God's name are God's people.

You haven't really rebutted what I've stated from the Scripture. So I stand confident on what I said.
Thanks for the interaction. Such discussions nearly always help to confirm what I believe.
God bless you & guide you as you walk the Way of the cross.
Peace!
:ange06:

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You haven't really rebutted what I've stated from the Scripture. So I stand confident on what I said.
Thanks for the interaction. Such discussions nearly always help to confirm what I believe.
God bless you & guide you as you walk the Way of the cross.
Peace!
:ange06:

I think you're asking the wrong things here. There is really no rebuttal of what the Scripture says, the question is whether it is applicable to this day and age. Just like there's no rebuttal of what Job 22:28 says but it's easy to point out how, despite what the words say, it doesn't mean we can speak things into being, so the question of 2Ch7:14 isn't what the Scripture says but whether it is still directly relevant today.

Jer 29:11 is an encouraging verse but was given to the Israelites before they went into captivity. Today its relevance is that it can encourage us that God doesn't forget about us, although using it word-for-word as a promise from God to you or me as individuals potentially creates problems. Likewise the first few verses of Jeremiah when God said how he was ordained since before the world began is a clear calling from God but it doesn't apply to you or to me today.

Hence the question of what counts as "their land", if you want to make the claim that 2Ch 7:14 is as directly applicable today as when it was first written.

FredVB

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
The latest news about the impending doom of the end of the world brings us Greta Thunberg. Poor kid is almost hysterical https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/23/weather/greta-thunberg-unga-climate-speech-intl/index.html
Do you think it's child abuse to spread alarmism?

There is this destructiveness to this earth, with anthropogenic climate change included, not even scriptures are against that. On the contrary, God did not promise to protect human civilization, and keep consequences from the destructiveness from happening. See Revelation 11:18. God hates the destructiveness. We will see consequences of that. Believers are not just spared of what comes, even with their involvement with that, they are just going to be removed from God's judgment on those in this world for unrepentant wickedness and destructiveness, that Christ bore already for believers who are in him with their repentance.

The telltale techniques of climate change denial
By John Cook

https://www.theguardian.com/science...der-reported-humanitarian-crises-report-finds

https://www-m.cnn.com/2015/07/22/op...tx1rObATc3wR5g&r=https://m.facebook.com/&rm=1

There is overwhelming scientific evidence that humans are causing global warming. Nevertheless, a small proportion of the population continues to deny the science. This can be problematic when the small number denying climate science includes half of the U.S. Senate.

How do you identify climate science denial, and how do you respond to it? To address denial properly, you need to understand the telltale techniques used to distort the science. It turns out all movements that deny a scientific consensus, whether it be the science of climate change, evolution or vaccination, share five characteristics in common:

Fake experts

Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that humans are causing global warming. This has been found independently in a number of studies, including surveys of Earth scientists, analysis of public statements about climate change and analysis of peer-reviewed scientific papers. How might one cast doubt on the overwhelming scientific consensus? One technique is the use of fake experts.
We see this in online petitions such as the Global Warming Petition Project, which features more than 31,000 scientists claiming humans aren't disrupting our climate. How can there be 97% consensus when 31,000 scientists disagree? It turns out 99.9% of the petition's signatories aren't climate scientists. They include computer scientists, mechanical engineers and medical scientists but few climate scientists. The Global Warming Petition Project is fake experts in bulk.

Logical fallacies

The reason why there's a 97% consensus is because of the many lines of evidence that humans are causing global warming. Human fingerprints are being observed in heat escaping out to space, in the structure of the atmosphere and even in the changing seasons. Another denialist technique used to counter the weight of evidence is the logical fallacy.
The most common fallacious argument is that current climate change must be natural because climate has changed naturally in the past. This myth commits the logical fallacy of jumping to conclusions. It's like finding a dead body with a knife sticking out of its back, and arguing that the person must have died of natural causes because humans have died of natural causes in the past. The premise does not lead to the conclusion.

Impossible expectations

While many lines of evidence inform our understanding of climate change, another source of understanding are climate models. These are computer simulations built from the fundamental laws of physics, and they have made many accurate predictions since the 1970s. Climate models have successfully predicted the loss of Arctic sea ice, sea level rise and the geographic pattern of global warming. However, one technique used to cast doubt on climate models is the tactic of impossible expectations.
Some people argue that climate models are unreliable if they don't make perfect short-term predictions. However, a number of unpredictable influences such as ocean and solar cycles have short-term influences on climate. Over the long term, these effects average out, which is why climate models do so well at long-term predictions.

Cherry-picking

Signs of global warming have been observed all over our planet. Ice sheets in Greenland and Antarctica are losing hundreds of billions of tons of ice every year. Global sea level is rising. Thousands of species are migrating toward cooler regions in response to warming. The ocean is building up four atomic bombs worth of heat every second. One way to avoid this overwhelming body of evidence is through the technique of cherry-picking.
For example, a persistent myth is that global warming stopped in recent decades. This is done by focusing on one slice of our climate system -- the surface temperature record. Further, it relies on cherry-picking short time periods. This ignores the long-term trend and more importantly, ignores the many warming indicators telling us that our planet continues to build up heat.

Conspiracy theory

The global surface temperature record is constructed by teams across the world, each compiling their own independent record. These different efforts, each using their own methods, paint a consistent picture of global warming. Climate science deniers reject this coherent evidence with conspiracy theories.
The thousands of scientists across the world who develop these temperature records are regularly accused of faking their data to inflate the global warming trend. Of course, critics produce no evidence for a global conspiracy. In fact, a number of investigations into the scientists' methodology has concluded that they conducted their research with robust integrity. How do the conspiracy theorists respond to each exoneration? By expanding their conspiracy theory to include the investigators!

The link between conspiratorial thinking and science denial has serious and practical consequences. Conspiracy theorists are immune to scientific evidence.

I am indebted to scientists who helped me.

https://twitter.com/KHayhoe/status/1032652293659865090

When we see climate changing, we don't automatically jump on the human bandwagon, case closed. No, we rigorously examine and test all other reasons why climate could be changing: the sun, volcanoes, natural cycles, even something we don't know yet: could they be responsible?

Could it be the sun? No: the sun's energy has been going down at the very time that the average temperature of the planet continues to rise. https://skepticalscience.com/solar-activity-sunspots-global-warming.htm No, even a Grand Minimum wouldn't save us. http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2011/06/what-if-the-sun-went-into-a-new-grand-minimum/

Could it be volcanoes? No: though a big eruption emits a lot of soot and particulates, these temporarily cool the planet. On average, all geologic activity, put together, emits only about 10% of the heat-trapping gases that humans do. https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1029/2011EO240001

Could it be orbital cycles? Are we just getting warmer after the last ice age? No: warming from the last ice age peaked 1000s of yrs ago, and the next event on our geologic calendar was another ice age: was, until the industrial revolution, that is. https://people.clas.ufl.edu/jetc/files/Tzedakis-et-al-2012.pdf

Could it be natural cycles internal to the climate system, like El Nino? No: those cycles simply move heat around the climate system, mostly back and forth between the atmosphere and ocean. They cannot CREATE heat. So if they were responsible for atmospheric warming, then the heat content of another part of the climate system wd have to be going down, while the heat content of the atmosphere was going up. Is this what we see? No: heat content is increasing across the entire climate system, ocean most of all!*https://skepticalscience.com/graphics.php?g=65

Could it be cosmic rays? No. https://skepticalscience.com/graphics.php?g=68

How about the magnetic pole moving? Planet Niribu? Geoengineering? What about an unknown factor we don't know about yet? No. https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/JCLI-D-11-00645.1

It has been known since the work of John Tyndall in the 1850s that CO2 absorbs and re-radiates infrared energy, and Eunice Foote was the first to suggest that higher CO2 levels would lead to a warmer planet, in 1856. No one has been able to explain how increasing levels of CO2, CH4 and other heat-trapping gases would not raise the temperature of the planet. Yet that must be done first, if we are to consider any other sources as "dominant". Moreover, when Rasmus Benestad and other scientists examined dozens of published papers claiming to minimize or eliminate the human role in climate change, they found errors in every single one. https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ou-try-to-replicate-climate-contrarian-papers
https://skepticalscience.com/water-vapor-greenhouse-gas.htm

If you don't think humans are the dominant source of warming, you are making a statement that does not have a single factual or scientific leg to stand on. Yet leaders of science agencies are saying exactly that today. This is the world we live in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=k5_zpjerQFo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=CLtFwUTrE4E

Michael

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
“I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End,” says the Lord, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.” – Rev 1:8

As those who claim the Name of Christ, do we truly believe what the Word declares?

Is there something that man can do to thwart the plan and purpose of God? Is God Almighty, the Creator of the Universe unable to bring the End He has ordained to pass because man and animal somehow found a way to destroy the planet prematurely with our automobile fuels, refrigerants and flatulence?
No, of course not. This age will end exactly as God has predetermined; not a minute sooner because of anything man can do, other than “live godly lives.” At God’s determined time, by His hand not mans, “the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat! 13 But according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells.” (2Pet 3:11-12).

The “global warming” conspiracy or climate change myth is only a distraction to get God’s people all worked up and ignore what He has actually called us to do – to “live godly lives”, by Repenting and walking in Righteousness and Holiness. It really is that simple.

“Remember this, and be assured;
Recall it to mind, you transgressors.
9 “Remember the former things long past,
For I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is no one like Me,
10 Declaring the end from the beginning,
And from ancient times things which have not been done,
Saying, ‘My purpose will be established,
And I will accomplish all My good pleasure’;
11 Calling a bird of prey from the east,
The man of My purpose from a far country.
Truly I have spoken; truly I will bring it to pass.
I have planned it, surely I will do it.
12 “Listen to Me, you stubborn-minded,
Who are far from righteousness.
13 “I bring near My righteousness, it is not far off;
And My salvation will not delay.
And I will grant salvation in Zion,
And My glory for Israel.”

- Isaiah 46:8-13

Friends, to get caught up fearing “global warming” is pure foolishness. As the Word says –

“Do not say, ‘A conspiracy,’
Concerning all that this people call a conspiracy,
Nor be afraid of their threats, nor be troubled.
13 The Lord of hosts, Him you shall hallow;
Let Him be your fear,
And let Him be your dread.”

- Isaiah 8:12-12

Let us not allow such things as fear of fossil fuel emissions, Styrofoam cups and hairspray to sidetrack us from what the Lord God has called us to do, which is “Deny ourselves, pick up our cross and follow Jesus” if indeed we are to “come after” Him and be “conformed into His image”, and be among those who will usher in that Kingdom of God on the “new earth, in which righteousness dwells.”

May we be practical in our usage of all that God has given us, discerning good from evil, to prove our faithfulness to Him; and as well remember that preceding the “end of the age” will be a time of great testing of the saints in the realm of their faithfulness to God, not to the preservation of this physical planet.

When Jesus disciples came and asked Him, “Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?” (Matt 24:3); it was the spiritual climate change Jesus warned about not the physical atmosphere. He straightly told those who would truly follow Him the Way of the Cross, “you will be hated by all nations for My name’s sake. 10 And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. 11 Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. 12 And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold.” (Matt 24:9-12)

May we not be in deception, laying hold of the fears that man would instill in us for their own agenda; truly,
“The fear of man brings a snare,
But whoever trusts in the Lord shall be safe.”

- Prov 29:25

Amen.

“Teach me Your way, O Lord;
I will walk in Your truth;
Unite my heart to fear Your Name.”

- Psalm 86:11

God’s Wisdom and Understanding to all.

Top Bottom