CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.94%

Communion of the Body of Christ

Jesus ascended into Heaven in a supernatural body, he can transcend, appear and vanish, this is accounted for in the 40 days after the resurrection and before his ascension.
      I believe that since we accept that we make up the spiritual and physical Body of Christ on Earth as in Heaven (because we are both physical members as well as spiritual members in Christ) that Jesus has presence in communion and through the communion of saints because we are in essence his spiritual presence on Earth and will be gathered with Him in Heaven.
      So this all sounds absurd to non Christians wouldn't you agree?
      Yet WE understand it, so why do some of us think that the breaking of bread and wine among believers is fine by itself but weird if we say that we are literally absorbing the body of Jesus?
      I say that all denominations have it RIGHT! Whether they call it physical presence, spiritual or both, they should never be ridiculed as "no its only symbolic he didn't really mean "is" as "is"), they might as well say "no we aren't really the Body of Christ on Earth, it's just symbolic"...
      It's as exactly as Jesus says it is, we must not think too humanly about the fact that our Lord is transcendent for we have an all powerful and Sovereign omniscient God and it's unwise to debate among ourselves otherwise.

zecryphon_nomdiv is offline Junior Member
      Married
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      72.95%
      Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
      Jesus ascended into Heaven in a supernatural body, he can transcend, appear and vanish, this is accounted for in the 40 days after the resurrection and before his ascension.
      I believe that since we accept that we make up the spiritual and physical Body of Christ on Earth as in Heaven (because we are both physical members as well as spiritual members in Christ) that Jesus has presence in communion and through the communion of saints because we are in essence his spiritual presence on Earth and will be gathered with Him in Heaven.
      So this all sounds absurd to non Christians wouldn't you agree?
      Yet WE understand it, so why do some of us think that the breaking of bread and wine among believers is fine by itself but weird if we say that we are literally absorbing the body of Jesus?
      I say that all denominations have it RIGHT! Whether they call it physical presence, spiritual or both, they should never be ridiculed as "no its only symbolic he didn't really mean "is" as "is"), they might as well say "no we aren't really the Body of Christ on Earth, it's just symbolic"...
      It's as exactly as Jesus says it is, we must not think too humanly about the fact that our Lord is transcendent for we have an all powerful and Sovereign omniscient God and it's unwise to debate among ourselves otherwise.

Not all churches have it right. I've attended churches that have said that Christ is not present in Communion, in any way, shape, or form. They taught that the Lord's Supper is a memorial we Christians observe to remember what He did for us and that it is an ordinance and not a Sacrament.

3. Likes Josiah, Lämmchen liked this post
      jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      40.42%
      If your talking about being spiritually present with us, this is not just true during communion but in every single moment of life.
      Colossians 1:15-17
      15 "The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together."

It is literally his power that holds all the atoms of our world together. And it would be impossible for me not to be in his presence.
      Of course, we do view communion differently as an act of the church. Some see it as a ordinance and others see it as a sacrament. Some have closed communion meaning I couldn't share it with them if I went to their church as a visitor and some have it as open and available to any that will come to the table.

5. Likes psalms 91, Andrew liked this post
      psalms 91 is offline Silver Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (5,018,340 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      29.96%
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      If your talking about being spiritually present with us, this is not just true during communion but in every single moment of life.
      Colossians 1:15-17
      15 "The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together."

It is literally his power that holds all the atoms of our world together. And it would be impossible for me not to be in his presence.
      Of course, we do view communion differently as an act of the church. Some see it as a ordinance and others see it as a sacrament. Some have closed communion meaning I couldn't share it with them if I went to their church as a visitor and some have it as open and available to any that will come to the table.
      Yes and I will not attend any church that closes their communion, it should be open to all
      Isaiah 40:31

Andrew is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      Awesome

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.94%
      Quote Originally Posted by zecryphon_nomdiv View Post
      Not all churches have it right. I've attended churches that have said that Christ is not present in Communion, in any way, shape, or form. They taught that the Lord's Supper is a memorial we Christians observe to remember what He did for us and that it is an ordinance and not a Sacrament.
      Well they are wrong.
      When I said "all" I was referring to those who believe "is" means "is" but have a different idea on how. The thing is we don't know "how". From my understanding Catholics believe that the bread and wine become the physical Body of Christ while Lutherans might say it becomes a spiritual presence, correct me if I'm wrong on that I've never been to a Lutheran communion.

Albion is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      0.78%
      Well they are wrong.
      When I said "all" I was referring to those who believe "is" means "is" but have a different idea on how. The thing is we don't know "how". From my understanding Catholics believe that the bread and wine become the physical Body of Christ while Lutherans might say it becomes a spiritual presence, correct me if I'm wrong on that I've never been to a Lutheran communion.
      That is wrong, but I'll let a Lutheran explain why.

9. Likes Lämmchen, Andrew liked this post
      Lämmchen is online now God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (439,008 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.8%
      Well they are wrong.
      Lutherans will go by what Jesus says and not try to explain it further...Jesus said This IS my body, this IS my blood. That means that in, with and under the bread and wine ARE His body and blood. That's Real Presence. Not symbolic. Not just spiritual.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

11. Likes Albion, Andrew, Josiah, zecryphon_nomdiv liked this post
      Andrew is offline Expert Member
      Mood:
      Awesome

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.94%
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      Lutherans will go by what Jesus says and not try to explain it further...Jesus said This IS my body, this IS my blood. That means that in, with and under the bread and wine ARE His body and blood. That's Real Presence. Not symbolic. Not just spiritual.
      Got it and thanks! I agree
      I was mistaken so I apologize

Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      99.42%
      What does the opening poster mean by "communion?" Is this the "Communion of saints" - the unity Christians share via their common faith in Christ, or is this Holy Communion (aka The Eucharist, The Lord's Supper)?
      We are justified by works - just not our own.

Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      99.42%
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post

IF this thread is about Holy Communion - The Eucharist - The Lord's Supper, then you are absolutely correct.

The Lutheran position (Known as Real Presence) is very simple: The words mean what they state.
      "This" = this.
      "Is" = is (the word has to do with reality, presence, being, "there").
      "Bread" = bread.
      "Wine" = wine.
      "My" = my.
      "Body" = body.
      "Blood" = blood.
      "Forgiveness" = forgiveness.
      Just what Jesus said. Just what Paul by divine inspiration penned.

NO doubt. NO deletions. NO additions or substitutions. NO explanations. NO inserted medieval false ideas of physics.
      The THAT is affirmed, the HOW is left alone. It's called the Mystery of Real Presence.
      Lutherans don't replace any word with "change" "not" "seems like" "transformed" "alchemy" "Aristotle" "symbolizes" "appearance".
      We hold that Jesus meant what He said and said what He meant. Same with St. Paul.
      That's it. That's all.
      Simple.

We are justified by works - just not our own.

15. Likes Andrew liked this post