Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (25,510,423 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      5.68%
      When "it's the economy, stupid" things are risky. I can't see how the economy can possibly avoid an enormous meltdown at some point, possibly on a scale that make 1929 look like a picnic. I'm certainly expecting something orders of magnitude worse than 2008 to happen, it's just a question of when. The way the system "works" is little more than kicking a can down the road until you run out of road and, when you run out of road, things implode in a big way.

If the collapse happens between now and 2020 (possible, although I'm not sure how likely) it won't be Trump's fault. Maybe something he does will trigger people blaming him, and of course those on the left would say it was his fault if an asteroid struck the earth, or maybe something he does will exacerbate an already bad situation. But for all the talk of this "longest ever recovery" in a lot of areas it's just not producing jobs. Clever financial engineering can make all sorts of things look good, even when they are really not good at all. Ultimately if people don't have jobs they don't spend, if they don't have disposable income they don't spend, and if people stop spending then sooner or later the economy implodes.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      47.4%
      Quote Originally Posted by hobie View Post
      President Trump formally launched his 2020 re-election campaign saying "We are going to keep making America great again and then we will indeed keep America great..We are going to keep it better than ever before and that is why I stand before you tonight to officially launch my campaign for a second term as president of the United States"

The Democrats just seem to intent on tearing each other down in the latest debates, with some sharp jabs focused on Biden.
      "Julián Castro harshly accused Joe Biden of contradicting himself and questioned whether his memory was faltering. "Are you forgetting what you said two minutes ago," he asked. He later slammed Biden for embracing his role in the Obama administration only when it was convenient....
      https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/th...d-immigration/

So who will face Trump, it certainly wont be Biden as everyone sees him as too weak and indecisive no matter what the polls say. Will it be Elizabeth Warren who is rising in the polls or can Bernie Sanders who has been loosing ground in the polls so it doesn't look good, so who will it be?
      That's because Castro's campaign is failing and he has to go after the guy who is polling the best which is Biden. But, to answer your question it seems like a three or four candidates now realistically are in the Democrat field, Biden, Warren, Harris and Sanders

Albion is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      40.65%
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      That's because Castro's campaign is failing and he has to go after the guy who is polling the best which is Biden. But, to answer your question it seems like a three or four candidates now realistically are in the Democrat field, Biden, Warren, Harris and Sanders
      While watching the Castro attack, I was reminded of the 2016 Republican debates in which Gov. Chris Christie tried to jump-start his campaign by attacking Marco Rubio's comments and speech patterns. The consequence was that it basically finished off Rubio but did nothing for Christie other than make him look unattractive. That's probably going to be Castro's fate too.

Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      14.77%
      The following link is SATIRE..... purely and solely in jest.... but does make a point about the left these days and those trying to get the nomination: https://christianityhaven.com/showth...PRESIDENT-2020
      We are justified by works - just not our own.

tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (25,510,423 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      5.68%
      I'd really like to see Donald Trump announce he identifies as female. Think of the political implosions that would cause. The Democrats would have to either drop their transgender silliness or hail him (sorry, her) as the first female president. The Republicans would have to either drop a lot of excessive hostility to the transgendered or abandon their candidate.

I'd buy an extra large bag of popcorn if that one ever went down.

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

6. Likes Josiah, Andrew liked this post
      hobie is offline Apprentice Member
      Married
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      11.59%
      Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
      When "it's the economy, stupid" things are risky. I can't see how the economy can possibly avoid an enormous meltdown at some point, possibly on a scale that make 1929 look like a picnic. I'm certainly expecting something orders of magnitude worse than 2008 to happen, it's just a question of when. The way the system "works" is little more than kicking a can down the road until you run out of road and, when you run out of road, things implode in a big way.

If the collapse happens between now and 2020 (possible, although I'm not sure how likely) it won't be Trump's fault. Maybe something he does will trigger people blaming him, and of course those on the left would say it was his fault if an asteroid struck the earth, or maybe something he does will exacerbate an already bad situation. But for all the talk of this "longest ever recovery" in a lot of areas it's just not producing jobs. Clever financial engineering can make all sorts of things look good, even when they are really not good at all. Ultimately if people don't have jobs they don't spend, if they don't have disposable income they don't spend, and if people stop spending then sooner or later the economy implodes.
      The economy will do fine, just scare tactics to try and get the stock exchanges to tank, but not much to it. Now war is the real danger, as Iran is basically trying to get one started. For what reason, I still haven't figured out, as if its a Shite/Sunni issue, we really don't need any of that.

tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (25,510,423 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      5.68%
      Quote Originally Posted by hobie View Post
      The economy will do fine, just scare tactics to try and get the stock exchanges to tank, but not much to it. Now war is the real danger, as Iran is basically trying to get one started. For what reason, I still haven't figured out, as if its a Shite/Sunni issue, we really don't need any of that.
      Not scare tactics at all, merely an observation that when you devalue the global reserve currency on an ongoing basis you shouldn't be surprised if other nations decide to seek out a different reserve currency, at which point many of the supports that help your currency hold its value go away. If the dollar slides fast because of heavy selling then imports become more expensive and all the chickens come home to roost at once. If oil producing nations (many of which hate us) decide to sell their oil in euros or roubles, instead of other nations having to buy dollars to buy oil, we have to sell dollars to buy oil. At a stroke that puts downward pressure on the value of the dollar, which in turn means all the Chinese junk we import goes up in price.

In many ways stock markets tanking isn't a major concern for many people. Unless you are invested in the stock market it has a limited effect on you (I know pension funds are invested in the stock market but unless you're planning on retiring within the next few years there's probably time for the markets to recover). To the average working person who isn't putting money into the stock market (either directly or through pension funds) because they simply can't afford it, a stock market crash matters little. A crash in the value of the dollar matters a lot because now just about everything they need to buy goes up in price, even if their income does not. So many things are ultimately dependent on imports, whether it be because they are made abroad and shipped in or merely transported using imported oil to get them to the stores, if the dollar slides then prices rise.

For now the US can fund its deficits by issuing bonds. At some point the international market may decide it isn't interested in lending money to a government that not only can't control its spending but is also likely to face a currency devaluation, at which point either the deficits have to be addressed and fast, or interest rates rise. Whatever the Fed wants to do fiddling with domestic rates, when it comes to issuing bonds you can only sell them if someone is willing to buy them. If there are no buyers you have to reduce the price, which increases the yield, which breaks any desire to keep interest rates low.

It's never entirely clear whether Iran is trying to start a war or just rattle cages. Just as Ben Bernanke was quoted as talking about the credible threat of currency production being enough to move markets, in the Middle East it sometimes seems that the credible threat of ongoing attacks is enough to move other markets. If there's a credible threat to the oil supply, the price of oil goes up with all the associated aftereffects.

Albion is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      40.65%
      Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
      I'd really like to see Donald Trump announce he identifies as female. Think of the political implosions that would cause. The Democrats would have to either drop their transgender silliness or hail him (sorry, her) as the first female president. The Republicans would have to either drop a lot of excessive hostility to the transgendered or abandon their candidate.

I'd buy an extra large bag of popcorn if that one ever went down.
      One thing you can take to the bank is that the Dems will never be caught short when they need a phony scandal. Just look at how the likelihood of Biden and Biden, Jr.'s shenanigans in Ukraine being revealed has been--with the ever-present help of the media-- turned by the Dems into a Trump scandal even though there was actually no whistleblower and no wrongdoing by the president! No matter, it's "impeach him!"