Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Book of ROMANS
A Study of Chapter 8

Part 13

Romans 8:19-22

Rulership

“For the creation eagerly waits with anticipation for God’s sons to be revealed. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility—not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it—in the hope 21 that the creation itself will also be set free from the bondage of corruption into the glorious freedom of God’s children. 22 For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together with labor pains until now.” – Rom 8:19-22 HCSB

I love this portion of God’s Word. The promise here is incredible. All we’ve been studying begins to come together in the remaining verses of this chapter. Being In Christ, as The Children of God, enduring Suffering as our Minds are renewed, looking forward to our Inheritance as Rulers of all creation, all the works of God’s hands. Oh, what a promise, saints!

“For [even the whole] creation (all nature) waits expectantly and longs earnestly for God’s sons to be made known [waits for the revealing, the disclosing of their sonship].” - Rom 8:19 AMPC

Yes, creation itself wants to be free. At the present, it is in bondage to corruption. It truly breaks my heart to see the consequences of sin on this earth. All that God had declared “very good” on the 6th Day was subjected to futility by God Himself when man disobeyed and forfeited rulership of the earth. Man lost dominion. The ground was cursed. A “shadow of death” came; and remains still over those without hope in Christ. God allowed satan to have power over God’s own creation. But only to serve God’s purpose of testing man. For man must be tested, refined & perfected if his place of rulership is to be restored; if the charge given to man at the beginning – “be fruitful, multiply and have dominion” – is to be finally realized in all its fullness.

So God’s elect must go through various tests in this life. As Jesus was tested and proven faithful before God “made Him both Lord and Christ.” (Acts 2:36), we too must be tested and found worthy if we are to be entrusted to “sit with Him on His Throne” ruling the nations.

And don’t we know saints... that the trials come when we least expect them, and we often don’t see God in them. Yes, there will be seasons when it seems like He has left us to handle things on our own, or He is too busy elsewhere to take time to help us in our particular situation. Hear the cry of Job’s heart as he experienced incredible trials, not understanding God’s seeming judgment against the righteous patriarch -
“Look, I go forward, but He is not there,
And backward, but I cannot perceive Him;
9 When He works on the left hand, I cannot behold Him;
When He turns to the right hand, I cannot see Him
10 But He knows the way that I take;
When He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold.
11 My foot has held fast to His steps;
I have kept His way and not turned aside.
12 I have not departed from the commandment of His lips;
I have treasured the words of His mouth
More than my necessary food.”

- Job 23:8-12 NKJV

Job admitted he didn’t see God in his great hour of need, and truly did not understand why he was experiencing such devastating trials and affliction. Yet, in the same breath reaffirmed his resolve to trust God and be obedient to His commands and walk in His ways.
May we as well ultimately come forth as gold, because we have stayed the course, obeyed God’s Word, endured till the end, and desired to know and please Him above all else.

In the Old Testament, we have the example of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, who, in the face of death told the king – “Your majesty, if it be His will, our God whom we serve can deliver us from the blazing fire furnace, and He will deliver us from you. 18 But if not, rest assured, your majesty, that we won’t serve your gods, and we won’t worship the golden statue that you have set up.” (Dan 3:17-18 ISV).

In this great test, these young men, as their friend Daniel would later do when faced with death in the lion’s den, refused to compromise. And the result was a position of rulership.

“Nebuchadnezzar spoke up and announced:
Blessed be the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego! He sent His angel to deliver His servants who trusted in Him. They disobeyed the king’s command and were willing to risk their lives in order not to serve or worship any god except their own God. 29 So I decree that people from any nation or language who say anything against the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego will be destroyed and their house reduced to rubble, because there is no other god who can save like this.”

30 Then the king promoted Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego within the province of Babylon.”
– Dan 3:28-30 ISV

Here they were rewarded by man for their unfailing obedience to God with positions of authority. I’d not be surprised to find them ruling in God’s Kingdom when Jesus returns to establish His Throne upon the earth.
These are types in the Scripture that reveal the Kingdom Truth of faithfulness being rewarded with inheritance.

~ continued below ~

Michael

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
~ continued from above ~

Remember, Jesus taught that He would not rule alone -

“Then Peter said… “Lo, we have left everything and followed You. What then shall we have?” 28 Jesus said to them, “Truly, I say to you, in the new world, when the Son of man shall sit on His glorious throne, you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.” – Matt 19:27-28 RSV

And this promise is not only for the original Apostles. In the Revelation to John, Jesus’ promise to the victorious saints is -
“To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.” – Rev 3:21 NKJV

But at present there is another who God has allowed to rule for a season. A usurper. When Adam & Eve fell, they lost their position of rulership of the earth, and authority was given to the devil & his cohorts (Luke 4:6, Eph 6:12). Actually, the rebellion began even before Adam fell. Some of those who had been with God at Creation (“let US make man…”) became lifted up and sought to be “like God.” Again, this is another study for another time.

As we’ve been studying throughout this journey into Romans 8, those called to “come after” Christ, have been called to ultimately inherit God’s creation, and to minister Life to the people of the saved nations. We’ve been called to positions of rulership. Those thrones of dominion are currently occupied by unfaithful beings: by “spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” (Eph 6:12 NIV), and their leader, whom the Scripture calls the “god of this world.” (2Cor 4:4 RSV)

The Scripture speaks this Truth concerning all of us -
“You were dead through the trespasses and sins 2 in which you once lived, following the course of this world, following the ruler of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work among those who are disobedient. 3 All of us once lived among them in the passions of our flesh, following the desires of flesh and senses, and we were by nature children of wrath, like everyone else.” – Eph 2:1-3 NRSV

There is a spiritual entity that to this day is at “work among those who are disobedient.” This present “ruler of the power of the air” is one who has authority over the darkness of this world. Jesus called him the “ruler of this world” (John 12:31) before His atoning sacrifice; and even after Christ’s victorious Resurrection and ascension to the right hand of God, this usurper is called the “god of this age” (2Cor 4:4), by the Spirit through Paul, and John tells us “the whole world lies under the power of the evil one.” (1John 5:19 NRSV)

God sent Jesus to set us free from this “spiritual force of evil.” Our heavenly Father is the One who “delivered us out of the authority of darkness and transferred us into the kingdom of the Son of His love.” – Col 1:13 DLNT

We were once under the power of darkness. And now that we’ve been set free, this enemy doesn’t want to let us go. So we will face battles in our Christian walk, as we are being transformed into the image of God’s Son.

“For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.” – Eph 6:12 NLT

Modern mythology would have us believe that the devil is down in Hell poking sinners with a pitchfork. The Scripture indeed declares an end for the enemy of God: the Lake of fire. But according to the New Testament, the accuser currently has authority over this earth to some degree, and even access to appear before the Throne of God to “accuse us day and night.” (Rev 12:10. See also Zech 3:1)

Now praise God that, ultimately, Jesus has all authority and power. He says, “I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hell and of Death.” (Rev 1:18)

These spiritual enemies and fallen gods have to bow when the real Jesus shows up. God has only allowed them to have power for a season, and again, for God’s purposes and for our eternal good. Just as Jesus told Pilate, satan “would not have any authority… unless it had been given to him from above.” (John 18:11)

The devil may think the power and rule over the world is his forever, but it is not. That position has been promised to man. And when the Man Jesus began His ministry, God allowed satan to test Him. The devil tempted Jesus with a shortcut -

“The devil took Him up and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time, 6 and said to Him, “To you I will give all this authority and their glory, for it has been delivered to me, and I give it to whom I will. 7 If You, then, will worship me, it will all be Yours.” – Luke 4:5-7 ESV

Jesus did not fall. As we’ve studied previously, the Man Jesus passed every test, was faithful and obedient to God in all things, and received the authority and the glory that was His Father’s desire for Him from the beginning.

“All things have been handed over to Me by My Father.” – Matt 11:27 NASB

“Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.” – Matt 28:18 NKJV

“In heaven and on earth.” This includes not only the earth, but He now has power over those “spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms” and over “the god of this age.”

“(God) raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, 21 far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. 22 And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head over all things to the church, 23 which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.” – Eph 1:20-23 NASB

Amen.

~ continued below ~

Michael

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
~ continued from above ~

So we fix our eyes on Jesus, not on the other, the usurper, whose power has been given temporarily only to serve God’s ultimate, eternal purposes. It is Jesus who has “all authority, power and dominion.” And now, we too are called to share in Jesus’ authority and glory.

The one called the “ruler of this world” must and will be dethroned. In John 12:31 we read this one will be “cast out.” In John 14:30, Jesus states this “ruler has no power over Me.” And in John 16:11, we find that the “ruler of this has been judged” because of Jesus’ perfect obedience to God even unto His sacrifice.

“Most assuredly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it produces much grain.25 He who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26 If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor.

27 “Now My soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save Me from this hour’? But for this purpose I came to this hour. 28 Father, glorify Your name.”
Then a voice came from heaven, saying, “I have both glorified it and will glorify it again.”

29 Therefore the people who stood by and heard it said that it had thundered. Others said, “An angel has spoken to Him.”

30 Jesus answered and said, “This voice did not come because of Me, but for your sake. 31 Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out. 32 And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself.” 33 This He said, signifying by what death He would die.”
- John 12:24-33 NKJV

Indeed, Jesus died so we could die: so we could die to sin, loving not our life in this world.
The Way to Eternal Life is death. Jesus led the way. This is the Way, the Way of the Cross, He referred to earlier in His discourse at the Last Supper when He declared -
“I am the way, the truth, and the life.
No one comes to the Father except through Me.”

- John 14:6 NKJV

As He prepared His disciples on that night He told them - “the ruler of this world is coming, and he has nothing in Me. 31 But that the world may know that I love the Father, and as the Father gave Me commandment, so I do. Arise, let us go from here.” (John 14:30-31 NKJV)

Jesus had passed every test, endured every temptation. The devil had nothing in Him. He could accuse Jesus of nothing before the Father. Yet in obedience to God, Jesus died the sinners’ death. And He died for all.

“if One died for all, then all died; 15 and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again.” – 2Cor 5:14-15 NKJV

We’ve died to the enemy’s hold on us. But now we must choose to live as a “dead man”, putting to death the deeds of the flesh, and living by God’s Spirit. We read it earlier in this chapter - “For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.” – Rom 8:13 NKJV

When we are “baptized into Christ’s death” we enter into His death on the Cross.
At that point, the enemy’s dominion over us is over. The ruler of the world has nothing in us.

Now we must keep it that way. As we walk the path that Jesus walked, as we “deny ourselves, pick up our cross daily and follow Jesus” (Luke 9:23), we give the devil no ground.

“Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, 9 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him. 10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11 Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts. 13 And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14 For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace.”

- Rom 6:8-14 NKJV

This is overcoming. Standing firm in faith. Surrendering not to the wiles of the devil. Putting to death the deeds of the flesh. Loving not our lives. Carrying our cross.

~ continued below ~

Michael

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
~ concluded from above ~

Again... this is overcoming. Standing firm in faith. Surrendering not to the wiles of the devil. Putting to death the deeds of the flesh. Loving not our lives. Carrying our cross.
Those who, like Jesus, love righteousness and hate wickedness, who surrender their lives to God in humility & obedience in all things, are those who overcome.

And oh the reward for their obedience!

“To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.” – Rev 3:21 NKJV

Again, as we looked at the inheritance of Christ & the Elect in The Greatest Gift… Just as it was “not good” for Adam to be alone, and needed Eve to be complete, so too the Man Jesus needs a body for Christ to be complete. That Kingdom presented to the Son of Man in Daniel 7:14, will as well be a gift to the overcomers. And together Christ, Head & body, will set creation free and usher in that eternal Kingdom of righteousness!

“Then the kingdom, the rulership and the greatness of the kingdoms under the whole heaven will be given to the holy people of the Most High. Their kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and all rulers will serve and obey them.”– Dan 7:27 CJB

The Revised Version translates -
“And the kingdom and the dominion
and the greatness of the kingdoms under the whole heaven
shall be given to the people of the saints of the Most High;
their kingdom shall be an everlasting kingdom,
and all dominions shall serve and obey them.”

- Dan 7:27 RSV

In Daniel 7:14 dominion is given to the Son of Man, who we recognize to be Christ Jesus. In vs 27 dominion is given to the saints. The Lord Jesus is King of kings and Lord of lords. I used to believe this meant He was King over all earthly kings, but in Revelation the context is that along with The King (Jesus) will rule other kings and lords over all creation (His body, the Church are co-heirs with Him).

These kings & lords who sit with Jesus on His Throne are the First Resurrection saints who were raised at His coming on the clouds (1Thess 4:16, 1John 3:2). Together they will judge the physical & spirit realms (1Cor 6), and inherit the countless people from the beginning of time who were welcomed into the Kingdom of God based on their works, although they may have never known Christ in this life, and even many who claimed His Name yet walked not fully in His ways. They will be the inheritance of the overcoming victorious saints of all ages, from Abel to the last individual who will complete the full number of Gentiles called to be a stone in the wall of the New Jerusalem. (Luke 19:11-17, Matt 19:28, Rom 11:25, 1Pet 2:5)

“See, a King will reign in righteousness
and rulers will rule with justice.”

– Isaiah 32:1 NIV

Indeed, this is the Truth we’ve been studying throughout these weeks -
“This is a statement that can be trusted:
If we have died with Him, we will live with Him.
12 If we endure, we will rule with Him.
If we disown Him, He will disown us.”

- 2Tim 2:11-12 GWT

The right to rule must be attained to. Those called by the Father & chosen by Jesus must be proven faithful in this life, by reckoning ourselves dead with Him on the Cross, and enduring through the suffering & trials of this life, not disowning or denying Him by word or action.

To the royal priesthood who are called (1Pet 2:9), the promise of dominion is presented, where the Lord says - “If you will walk in My ways and keep My requirements, then you shall rule My house and have charge of My courts” (Zec 3:7 NRSV).

Those who have overcome will triumphantly sing, “You have made us kings (or “a Kingdom”) and priests to our God; and we shall reign on the earth.” (Rev 5:10 NKJV)

Rulers. Kings, priests, righteous judges and counselors. “Living waters.”

Amen. I have found great hope in the True picture of Eternity in the Scripture. Heaven is not our home. The Kingdom, New Jerusalem, that Faithful City, will be established on the physical earth where God will dwell with man. Here all will be made right. Finally, “creation itself will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.” (Rom 8:21 NASB)

“I will restore your judges as at the first,
And your counselors as at the beginning.
Afterward you shall be called the city of righteousness,
the faithful city.”

- Isaiah 1:26 NKJV

“I will set up shepherds over them who will feed them; and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed, nor shall they be lacking,” says the Lord.
5 “Behold, the days are coming,” says the Lord,
“That I will raise to David a Branch of righteousness;
A King shall reign and prosper,
And execute judgment and righteousness in the earth.”

- Jer 23:4-5 NKJV

Oh, I could go on & on here. The Scripture is replete with the glorious picture of Eternity and God’s grand purpose in Christ. He is unveiling mysteries in this day in which we are living. The scaffolding of religion is falling away from those with ears to hear and who hunger for the Truth. The tradition of going to the spirit realm to exist forever is being replaced with the Truth that the physical and spirit realms are on a collision course that will bring restoration of what was lost in Eden.

God’s wisdom and understanding to all who have been studying with us here.
Peace & Blessings on all your house,
Michael

Next... IMMORTALITY

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
It's interesting when you talk about ruling with Christ. But, when I see the 24 elders before God's throne you see them casting their crowns before the throne. Their goal is not to rule themselves, but to acknowledge His rule. It isn't really about sharing power with Jesus. It is about God's will being done on earth as it is in heaven.

10 the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say:
“You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things,
and by your will they were created
and have their being.”
Revelations 4:10-11, NIV

Michael

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
It's interesting when you talk about ruling with Christ. But, when I see the 24 elders before God's throne you see them casting their crowns before the throne. Their goal is not to rule themselves, but to acknowledge His rule. It isn't really about sharing power with Jesus. It is about God's will being done on earth as it is in heaven.

10 the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say:
“You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things,
and by your will they were created
and have their being.”
Revelations 4:10-11, NIV

Thanks for your reply and input.

Let me begin my answer with the Word -

"And he who overcomes, and keeps My works until the end, to him I will give power over the nations
27 ‘He shall rule them with a rod of iron;
They shall be dashed to pieces like the potter’s vessels’—
as I also have received from My Father; 28 and I will give him the morning star.
29 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”

- Rev 2:26-29

"To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.
22 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”

- Rev 3:21-22

Oh yes, it is hard for us to believe that a remnant will actually sit with Christ on His Throne, as His "co-heir", to inherit the saved nations and rule over them in Eternity from New Jerusalem. This Truth is all throughout the Scripture, yet the "god of this age" has blinded the eyes of the churches so that they cannot see. Praise God that He is unveiling His great plan & purpose for creation in our day.

Jesus will not rule alone. He will have a counterpart, a "suitable helper" who will reign with Him over creation and the saved nations on the "new earth." Those with Him are the "saviors" of Obadiah 1:21, and the "priests" of Psalm 132 that I shared a bit on in the video I posted that stirred up quite some debate (and got me expelled from another site!) - https://www.christianityhaven.com/showthread.php?7541-On-Psalm-132

Those "elders" in Revelation chapter 4 some believe are members of the "divine council" in the spirit realm; which the Greek will support. And I tend to agree with that. These are not "those who overcome." For I do not believe we will cast down the "crown of Life" (James 1:12, Rev 2:10)and the "crown of righteousness" (2Tim 4:8) that God will give to that faithful remnant who truly walked with Jesus, "endured til the end" and were actually "conformed into His image", His "brothers" who will "appear with Him as He is" in that Day. To give back those crowns would be an insult to God. Remember, Jesus warned the Elect - "Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown." (Rev 2:11). This is that "imperishable crown" for which Paul exhorted the saints to strive for. (1Cor 9:24-25)

I pray that from more pulpits we would hear the prayer of Jesus in John 17, where we see our Lord's desire that the saints would "be One with Him as He is One with the Father." (John 17:20-21). For only then will the "world believe."

Friend, this is Bible. It is so far beyond the "gospel" as is widely taught today.
There are those who will come forth as Christ Jesus did from the grave, as "kings" alongside the "King"; "lords" ruling with the "Lord" over those "sheep" welcomed into the Kingdom in that Day.

These are but a sampling of the passages of Scripture which tell of the eternal destiny of the faithful Elect of God, who will receive power and authority to rule and have "dominion over all the works of God's hands" in Eternity. (see Psalm 8:4-6, Heb 2:5-8).

Not to the church-goer, but to the faithful saint who is truly "abiding IN Christ" come the promise of God -

"The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together." - Rom 8:16-17

Amen.

Can we believe this?

Top Bottom