Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I find none. If it were such a damnable heresy I would expect a clear rejection of water baptism by the Apostles or even Jesus Himself but there is nothing of the sorts.
Now I'm not talking about baptism plus the gospel supporting it, that's a given, but to suggest water baptism is somehow disgraceful in Gods eyes is found absolutely no where in scripture.
Is the promise just for you? Is it not for your household and generations to come?

I know we have waaay too many baptism threads as it is but I feel this is the elephant in the room and this one I believe pretty much sums them all up into one. Multiple threads on infant and believers baptism seem to dodge the cut and dry situation we are facing, is water baptism heresy in Gods eyes? I say definitely not

Last edited:

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I haven't really seen anyone on here saying that baptism by itself is heresy. More along the lines of when it should be done and what effect it has. This is one of the big things that divides people on this forum. I learned that when I made the mistake of starting a baptism thread a few years ago and several hundred posts later we still couldn't agree on pretty much anything.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There is ONE baptism and it has water and it has God's word that gives us the gift of the Holy Spirit. The problem comes in when people split baptism into two. The disciples only knew one baptism and it was with water.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Is water baptism heresy in Gods eyes?
I say definitely not

For the Bible-Only folks, I would challenge ANY of you to find IN the Bible these two terms...

And THEN in the same passage... eg

WATER BAPTISM
and
SPIRIT BAPTISM

Neither term even EXISTS in the Bible...

What we DO have is John announcing the arrival of the One to follow him Who IS before him...
Who will Baptize IN the Holy Spirit...
Nowhere does the Bible say that the Holy Spirit Baptizes...
It DOES say that Christ will Baptize IN the Holy Spirit...
And Christ is NEVER written about Baptizing...
Yet He Commissions His Apostles to Baptize ALL the nations...

CONCLUSION:

Christ Baptizes through His Apostles in the Holy Spirit...

As the Speaking in Tongues fully attests in Scripture...

And as Ananias said to Saul:

Acts 9:17
And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house;
and putting his hands on him said,
"Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus,
that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest,
hath sent me,
that thou mightest receive thy sight,
and be filled with the Holy Spirit."

Arsenios

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I find none. If it were such a damnable heresy I would expect a clear rejection of water baptism by the Apostles or even Jesus Himself but there is nothing of the sorts.
Now I'm not talking about baptism plus the gospel supporting it, that's a given, but to suggest water baptism is somehow disgraceful in Gods eyes is found absolutely no where in scripture.
Is the promise just for you? Is it not for your household and generations to come?

I know we have waaay too many baptism threads as it is but I feel this is the elephant in the room and this one I believe pretty much sums them all up into one. Multiple threads on infant and believers baptism seem to dodge the cut and dry situation we are facing, is water baptism heresy in Gods eyes? I say definitely not
No verses refute water baptism. Many verses have the word baptizo (to immerse) and do not include water as the material into which the object is immersed.
The Holy Spirit is often the cause agent who immerses (baptizes) us into Christ (the material into which the object is immersed).
It is poor hermeneutics to force water into every expression of baptism found in the Bible. The context will determine the cause agent, the object to be immersed and the material into which the object is being immersed.
These are important distinctions.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
No verses refute water baptism. Many verses have the word baptizo (to immerse) and do not include water as the material into which the object is immersed.
The Holy Spirit is often the cause agent who immerses (baptizes) us into Christ (the material into which the object is immersed).
It is poor hermeneutics to force water into every expression of baptism found in the Bible. The context will determine the cause agent, the object to be immersed and the material into which the object is being immersed.
These are important distinctions.
I guess my argument is that since Johns baptising Jesus played a great role in our understanding of a typical baptism, you would expect a very profound clarification that we should not confuse the word 'baptism' in "be baptised everyone of you in the Name of Jesus" with anything to do with water.
I know the Holy Spirit baptises us but there is nothing wrong or controversial about having an elder dip you in water or using water to signify the expression.
Is it really important to discourage people against using water in relation to baptism?
I don't think the Apostles who washed feet and dipped people in water found anything superstitious about it.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
For the Bible-Only folks, I would challenge ANY of you to find IN the Bible these two terms...

And THEN in the same passage... eg

WATER BAPTISM
and
SPIRIT BAPTISM

Neither term even EXISTS in the Bible...

What we DO have is John announcing the arrival of the One to follow him Who IS before him...
Who will Baptize IN the Holy Spirit...
Nowhere does the Bible say that the Holy Spirit Baptizes...
It DOES say that Christ will Baptize IN the Holy Spirit...
And Christ is NEVER written about Baptizing...
Yet He Commissions His Apostles to Baptize ALL the nations...

CONCLUSION:

Christ Baptizes through His Apostles in the Holy Spirit...

As the Speaking in Tongues fully attests in Scripture...

And as Ananias said to Saul:

Acts 9:17
And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house;
and putting his hands on him said,
"Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus,
that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest,
hath sent me,
that thou mightest receive thy sight,
and be filled with the Holy Spirit."

Arsenios
It's certainly a baptism of the spirit, cleansing the flesh with water is something we must do regardless but if it was good enough for early Christians to baptise each other with water Its ok with me, I see no harm in it.

Top Bottom