Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I have an obnoxious fear of heights. I went to visit my mom the other day at MD Anderson in Houston and she was on the 18th floor.. I was very uncomfortable being in the room and my dad and sister kept the window open so they could watch the life flights land. Anyway I was sweaty and nervous and had to close my eyes and try to block it out, I freak out on ladders lol so this was deep water for me.
It gave me horrible headache from stress that lasted over a day.
I told them they need to move her on a lower floor lol
Also I discovered that I don't like having stories and stories above and below me, that may be due to the 911 building collapsing, it might be trauma related.
Any advice?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Does having your back to the window help any?

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Does having your back to the window help any?
It helped a little but not much, I felt queasy the whole time, maybe atmospheric pressure?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Do you get nervous when watching videos that show high places?

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Do you get nervous when watching videos that show high places?

Cool video! No I'm not afraid to watch videos... I've been para sailing and I didn't enjoy it, I've done roofing and was afraid of falling off, same with ladders, but for some reason its always buildings I fear the most.
I've never been on a plane but I rode in a helicopter and ironically I wasn't nervous at all!
My old job I would have to go up 12 story stairs to check silo levels and it was scary at first but I got used to that over the years working there.
But the hospital gave me a real claustrophobic sensation so maybe it's a combination? Kind of like ferris wheels, you will never see me on those lol

overcast

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I too have issue with fear of heights. For me it was developed due to my condition of depression. And I didn't go out much to socialize with people. I am however battling this on daily basis. Like when going to mall or similar places. I avoid the corners from which I can see the height. Like I can't go near the escalators and the balcony area of those places. I have no idea how people completely get over it.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I too have issue with fear of heights. For me it was developed due to my condition of depression. And I didn't go out much to socialize with people. I am however battling this on daily basis. Like when going to mall or similar places. I avoid the corners from which I can see the height. Like I can't go near the escalators and the balcony area of those places. I have no idea how people completely get over it.
I used to ride the rides at the fair and although looking down was scary enough it was looking up at the mechanic structure above me that made me panic, like I didn't trust it... So just being in a building with many floors is unnerving for me.. 911 didn't help either, but indeed looking up at high rise clouds during the summer and the big wide sky even frightens me lol I feel like a little bug ready to be stepped on or something I guess.. The night sky is the opposite, I feel comforted and not so small..
but yeah like you I'm an introvert and enjoy being to myself instead of going to events or public places.. for a while I was a public musician and I was okay with it but I lost that ambition as soon as I found it difficult to practise around family and such... I live back with my dad and he will walk in and out when I practice so I just give up because it's distracting

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
For many phobias are chemical imbalances, and for some the anxiety can be diminished by regulating the chemicals the body produces during those times of stress. I recently was on a drug to help with something completely different but the side effects were feelings of suicide. I started to have phobias knives, high places, and even just driving. I couldn’t even open a bottle of wine without a lot of stress. I’m the cook in the house and a self-proclaimed chef/foodie. So being scared of knives was a big problem. Heights never really bothered me until I was on the drug, then I cringed having to go any higher than 3 or 4 stories. Luckily, I had stopped working in Chicago a long time ago. I have since been off the drug for about a year, but some of those feelings still linger. Driving in today, I felt that I would wonder into the incoming lane or someone else would hit me head-on. It was all I could do to get to work today. Days like these are becoming less and less and the anxiety I still feel at time is less.

I do know several people that the level of anxiety is crippling and they take medication just to be able to function daily. Luckily, mine was not permanent.

overcast

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I used to ride the rides at the fair and although looking down was scary enough it was looking up at the mechanic structure above me that made me panic, like I didn't trust it... So just being in a building with many floors is unnerving for me.. 911 didn't help either, but indeed looking up at high rise clouds during the summer and the big wide sky even frightens me lol I feel like a little bug ready to be stepped on or something I guess.. The night sky is the opposite, I feel comforted and not so small..
but yeah like you I'm an introvert and enjoy being to myself instead of going to events or public places.. for a while I was a public musician and I was okay with it but I lost that ambition as soon as I found it difficult to practise around family and such... I live back with my dad and he will walk in and out when I practice so I just give up because it's distracting

I can relate to that. My night sky experience so far is good. I don't feel anxiety looking at night sky with stars. I think a lot of times those escalators in mall. Those experience of going in 3rd or above floors. That just kinds of makes me uncomfortable. And the issue is I don't know if this experience will keep me from travelling in airplane. But I guess I have to take one day at a time for this life experience to go smooth.

Top Bottom