• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Off Topic Area - Thread: Swimming with fishes?

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (514,975 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      34.67%

Swimming with fishes?

My in-laws own a house on a lake and I couldn't bring myself to go swimming in the lake with the fishes this past weekend. Do you like to swim with fish? There were a lot of turtles around too and I don't know if they were snappers or not because I just saw their heads from a distance.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

1 John 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.

jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      89.04%
      I wouldn't do that just because of all the info in the news lately about parasites and other things that have killed some people in lake water. I would rather swim in a pool

Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      35.4%
      One of the GREAT experiences is diving off Hawaii (to name just one great place) and experiencing a whole other AMAZING world.... In Southern California, there are spots like that (off Catalina Island, for example) but often... it's pretty empty, just a lot of kelp, not great diving.

When I was young, I spent a LOT of time at the beach, but mostly to hang out with friends and to surf; I don't think I ever went there specifically to swim in the ocean. That happened only because I fell off my board (which happens a LOT, lol) - an unfortunate consequence of failure.
      We are justified by works - just not our own.

4. Likes vince284 liked this post
      vince284 is offline Apprentice Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      93.66%
      I have not been in a natural water body since I was in the Pacific 7 years ago. And I can't remember the last time I was in a river, stream or creek. I try to go to Puerto Vallarta MX annually and have been in the ocean only once. I went to Galveston TX a few weeks ago and just stool on the beach. I went to Riviera Maya last fall and stood on the beach. My friends, newly arrived from the flight met me on the beach and they both ran into the Caribbean after changing. They were in the water about 30 seconds and one of them got stung by a jellyfish. And after receiving medical attention, she was in misery for the next 4 days of our stay. In Cancun I was on a small dinghy very near the shore, and one of the people I was with decided to jump in the water and swim/walk to the beach. On jumping in the water he stepped on a sea urchin, not good. I'll stick to the chlorinated private pool.

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (514,975 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      34.67%
      Quote Originally Posted by vince284 View Post
      I have not been in a natural water body since I was in the Pacific 7 years ago. And I can't remember the last time I was in a river, stream or creek. I try to go to Puerto Vallarta MX annually and have been in the ocean only once. I went to Galveston TX a few weeks ago and just stool on the beach. I went to Riviera Maya last fall and stood on the beach. My friends, newly arrived from the flight met me on the beach and they both ran into the Caribbean after changing. They were in the water about 30 seconds and one of them got stung by a jellyfish. And after receiving medical attention, she was in misery for the next 4 days of our stay. In Cancun I was on a small dinghy very near the shore, and one of the people I was with decided to jump in the water and swim/walk to the beach. On jumping in the water he stepped on a sea urchin, not good. I'll stick to the chlorinated private pool.
      That must have been a huge jellyfish! I've been stung before and it wasn't too bad.

My sister-in-law was stung by a sea urchin years ago after stepping on one and her foot swelled up so much that she thought she'd lose the foot! Ruined her entire vacation.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

1 John 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.

7. Likes vince284 liked this post
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      93.66%
      Quote Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
      One of the GREAT experiences is diving off Hawaii (to name just one great place) and experiencing a whole other AMAZING world.... In Southern California, there are spots like that (off Catalina Island, for example) but often... it's pretty empty, just a lot of kelp, not great diving.

When I was young, I spent a LOT of time at the beach, but mostly to hang out with friends and to surf; I don't think I ever went there specifically to swim in the ocean. That happened only because I fell off my board (which happens a LOT, lol) - an unfortunate consequence of failure.
      You brought back memories, I been to Hawaii a few times and four of the Hawaiian islands. I got a bento box on the North Shore Oahu and stepped into the ocean watching the waves, I got my ankles wet. I got my feet wet in Waikiki while walking on the beach. And stepping into a sacred pool in Maui... but other than that I stayed by the pool. (I do know how to swim, I was on the high school team. and I've worked as a lifeguard... in a pool.)

tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (29,188,768 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      21.88%
      I got my toe nipped by something, probably a crab, in the Atlantic off the coast of Virginia. That was a few years ago now. I'd gone for a swim, the tide was gently pushing me back to the shore so I figured I could swim out further than I might normally do. I ended up probably 1/4 - 1/2 mile or so out - I couldn't see much detail back on the shore - and for a time was just treading water resisting the tide pushing me back to shore so I could watch some brown pelicans fishing. Then when I swam back to the beach it was just a matter of making sure I made ground reasonably close to where I set out. There was virtually no lateral current that day, and I landed something like 50 yards from where I kicked off. Of course as I got closer I could get a better handle on where I was aiming, so it wasn't as if I just fluked it.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      93.66%
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      That must have been a huge jellyfish! I've been stung before and it wasn't too bad.

My sister-in-law was stung by a sea urchin years ago after stepping on one and her foot swelled up so much that she thought she'd lose the foot! Ruined her entire vacation.
      Not sure how big is big. I see them floating in the aquarium exhibits. But it got her around her waist and it wrapped under her left leg and got her on top of the leg just under her swimsuit leg opening. I don't swim with anything that is faster than me (well, jellyfish look slow... but I still won't swim with them)! I was wading in Cozumel and saw a huge dark animal, swim by me, it looked like a stingray. Needless to say I got out, and went and had a drink at the bar.

Forgiven1 is offline Apprentice Member
      Married
      Mood:
      ----

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      21.54%
      I tend to just wade. Love getting my feet wet and feel the warm ocean water wash over them.