Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I am using Linux and i am very happy with it. I made a good decision finally :)

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
My desktop is Ubuntu at home, and my servers are Debian. I like them a lot. I also keep a Windows 7, but that's because one (just one) application that I need does not support Linux. Here at work, it's Windows 10.

Jason

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The main reason users stick with Windows is due to the software availability. If Linux gets better in it (I hope it will) then people will start switching to Linux.

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
The main reason users stick with Windows is due to the software availability. If Linux gets better in it (I hope it will) then people will start switching to Linux.

Actually it's the software that needs to support Linux. One of my applications refuses to make their application available to the Linux OS because it would cost them too much and not enough users have asked for a version that works on Linux to be developed. Unfortunately, it's software that I use once a year, and even if I log into their site to use the web-based application, it still does not run on Linux. Their are other applications similar that will run on Linux, but the differences are big enough that I can't use all my data on them.

Alexander

Religious Affiliation
Other Religion
Yes
I have never used Linux, but from my understanding, it's an open-source operating system that's available to anybody who wishes to use it for free. I prefer Windows operating systems to Linux. What advantages does Linux that Windows doesn't offer?

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
===============================================================================

1. I checked with Microsoft some years ago, and was told it was OK to run an original copy of a Windows operating system on top of Linux on the same original computer, using something like VirtualBox (it is free). I did it with XP. One advantage is that (depending on the Windows application you are running) the old, unprotected version of Windows can be isolated from the internet if your application does not need internet access itself – Linux can safely handle internet access and most other programs you might wish to run, such as LibreOffice (a very good alternative to Microsoft Office, which has a version that runs natively and well on Linux). Bible programs that you are used to will run unchanged in the protected Windows environment.

2. Using programs such as PlayOnLinux and Lutris, you can run many Windows programs “directly” on Linux, without the need to have a Windows environment on top of facilities such as VirtualBox. However, I have found the various Linux “implementations” (front ends, if you like – what you see and interact with) to be not as smooth as Windows when running multiple programs simultaneously using those facilities – the VirtualBox option is better for that.

3. Security patches are made available immediately, not periodically as with Windows. I find that comforting.

4. Having looked at several Linux front ends from the perspective of a Windows user, my impression is that using Mint or Zorin make the transition easier than some others – I’m talking about look-wise and feel-wise. Other people may well disagree. My personal preference is Zorin.

5. Naturally, there are some programs that run natively on both Windows and Linux. LibreOffice is one that I mentioned before.

I hope that helps.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Linux user here, for several years. As Pedrito mentioned above, there are some compatibility programs that allow Windows only software to run on Linux, which I have used. However, some stuff I thought I "needed" actually was available for free with Linux. It was just a matter of learning some new software - one reason I think a lot of people shy away, they don't want to take the time to do that.

Linux is more secure than windows, you don't have to worry as much about back door access to either take control of your computer or peek around your files. Viruses cannot run automatically, as explicit permission is needed to run programs, and if you don't trust them, you can run them in Virtual Box or look at the source code itself, as this is often available.

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

An update in three movements.

1. When I first bought my Windows 10 computer, I found that it would not talk to my older printer/scanners, but would talk to my more modern Pixma.

I set up my Zorin computer as my dedicated printing/scanning computer because it was happy to talk to everything. I transfer files to and from it via a USB stick.

A few days ago I needed to print something urgently, so I connected my Win10 computer to the Pixmma to print directly. Well, well. The computer made the “I know you’ve just connected a USB device” sound, but refused to recognise the printer. I tried multiple times. One of the Microsoft updates for Win10 must have wiped out the driver. The USB port is OK, and my Zorin computer still talks to the printer.

Full marks to Microsoft, but I’m not sure for what.

2. Something I overlooked before is that in theory, there will never be a Win11, Win12, etc. There will only be continuing updates to Win10. Linux still has releases that have to be installed separately, just like Windows before.

However, Win10 does not offer users total security. I understand that later releases of Win10 no longer support certain hardware types, for instance.

3. Also, if I create a folder on a USB stick, Windows won’t handle it. But Linux has no problems with folders created by Windows.

I hope the information is helpful for some people.

Top Bottom