... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Not only Biblical statements, but current political statements are subject to interpretation. Both Obama and Trump have said that undocumented immigrants have violated the law. But their overall attitudes were different (though not as different as some think). So it's not entirely unreasonable that people who take a statement like that and interpret it differently depending upon who made it.

In a purely logical sense, whether a statement is racist is completely independent of who made it and what they may have done outside of making that statement. But that's not how normal humans use language.

Immigration is a particularly difficult issue. There is simply no Biblical justification for turning away strangers in need just because of where they were born. However it is probably impractical for the US to absorb the entire population of the third world. As a result, every president has been involved in actions for which it is very hard to provide any real Christian justification, simply because they see no alternative.

Still, not every president has intentionally used anti-immigrant sentiment to get elected.

The thing about Biblical basis is that it works on an individual level. It's unreasonable to expect an entire nation to follow Biblical principles and impose them upon people who have no desire to follow the Bible at all. Sadly much of the desire people claim to have to help others doesn't stretch as far as them doing anything other than shouting a lot and virtue signalling at every opportunity. Of course there's no reason why they should welcome a homeless person into their spare bedroom, or forego their annual vacation to donate the money to feed the hungry. Someone else should get on with the dirty business of actually doing the useful stuff, they are too busy making sure everybody knows they are supporting the suitably progressive candidates who promise to raise taxes (on the nasty rich people, meaning people with more than they have) to hand out money to others.

Of course just quietly getting on with doing the things they claim to want doesn't make for good Instagram updates or woke tweets. Why tweet something like "saw a homeless guy today, so bought him some food" when you could be tweeting "joined the crusade in DC to demand..."?

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
No
The consensus seems to be "yes" to the OP question. Now what?

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The thing about Biblical basis is that it works on an individual level. It's unreasonable to expect an entire nation to follow Biblical principles and impose them upon people who have no desire to follow the Bible at all.
I guess. However mistreating the stranger was an accusation that prophets made against the nation of Israel.

I'm not saying we can directly apply that. We have problem that Israel didn't. But still, treating people from other countries right isn't just an individual obligation.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I guess. However mistreating the stranger was an accusation that prophets made against the nation of Israel.

I'm not saying we can directly apply that. We have problem that Israel didn't. But still, treating people from other countries right isn't just an individual obligation.

We should treat people right, I don't think there's any doubt about that. But "treating people right" doesn't mean just letting them in to do what they will. If people break the law they face the consequence, whatever reasons they might give for why they broke the law.

Right now it seems to be trendy to say how great it is to have illegal immigrants among us. I wonder how many other types of lawbreaking might be encouraged, or whether it's just immigration laws that can be flouted with impunity when the left says it's OK. Already the antics of the left have provided perfect reasoning for the right to refuse to enforce laws the left might like to see - I wonder what they will think if they ever manage to impose the kind of gun control they want and find that entire counties declare themselves "sanctuary counties" for people wishing to preserve their constitutional to keep and bear arms. After all, what's good for the goose is good for the gander...

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The consensus seems to be "yes" to the OP question. Now what?

How do we get the students to realize that they shouldn't be so quick to assume that because they hear a few key words that are being thrown around politically that it's all Trump's fault? You see, the media is indeed a big part of the problem but then after that are their professors and peers who repeat the things the media tosses out for drama. Yes, the media wants to create drama because it sells newspapers as well as gets traffic to their sites to read the news. If everyone agreed on things and it was tame the media would be out of business.

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
College students blast quotes and then find out they're Obama's:
https://www.foxnews.com/media/college-students-obama-immigration-racist-trump

"College students largely reject President Trump's immigration policies as racist, but some were surprised to learn that former President Barack Obama also touted the deportation of criminal aliens, Campus Reform's Cabot Phillips said on "Fox & Friends" Friday.

In 2014, Obama touted his administration's deportation policy in an immigration address from the White House.

"We are a nation of laws. Undocumented workers broke our immigration laws, and I believe that they must be held accountable, especially those who may be dangerous. That’s why over the past six years deportations of criminals are up 80 percent, and that’s why we’re going to keep focusing on threats to our security," Obama said."

continued with

"Phillips said his takeaway was that young people have become "radicalized" on the issue of illegal immigration, arguing that the deportation of criminals is something that was generally agreed upon when Obama was in office.

"I think you could attribute a Mother Teresa quote to Donald Trump and many college students would say that's evil and that's coming from a place of hatred," he said."

Well, honestly, I've already said the following in other threads: The cultural left is overkill, and so is the opposite. I mean, the cultural left going around and banning "The Dukes of Hazzard" is a bit whacked - but also there is the fact conservatives haven't really confronted arguments about why they're (the cultural/economic right) hated (by enemies).

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I'm actually glad that people are making these types of videos, here is another one where people believe they are Trump tweets and when they are corrected they can hardly speak smh!
https://youtu.be/s8aMHpBGomM

Top Bottom