Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
3 "By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5 but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: 6 the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked." 1 John 2:3-6

right before these verses John tells us that if we sin we have an advocate who is Jesus who prays for us. But, he also then says that one of the sign of a real believer is that he keeps his commandments. This doesn't make me feel a great deal of comfort because even though I want to obey him and follow him I fall short everyday. To say that I ought to "walk in the same manner as He walked." just makes me think about how short I fall of that. Can anyone else relate to that?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
3 "By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5 but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: 6 the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked." 1 John 2:3-6

right before these verses John tells us that if we sin we have an advocate who is Jesus who prays for us. But, he also then says that one of the sign of a real believer is that he keeps his commandments. This doesn't make me feel a great deal of comfort because even though I want to obey him and follow him I fall short everyday. To say that I ought to "walk in the same manner as He walked." just makes me think about how short I fall of that. Can anyone else relate to that?

The Law is doing exactly what it's supposed to do! It's showing you how imperfect you are. Here's the thing about the 10 commandments, break the first one and you've broken all the others. We often make other things into a god for us even though there are some who are complete denial that they do that.

As believers we want to keep the commandments because it shows love and reverence for the Lord our God and it also helps benefit our neighbor who needs our love! Since we are clothed in Christ's righteousness, keeping the commandments earns us absolutely nothing for eternal life. We have that inheritance because of Jesus.

RichWh1

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

I think that ‘His commandments ‘ and the Law of Moses are two separate things.
The commands of Jesus are love God, love neighbor, love one another as He loved us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
The commands of Jesus are love God, love neighbor, love one another as He loved us

Exactly and by doing these we fulfill the old law as well. The real trick is the one that says walk in the spirit

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

That's it!
Honestly I don't see what the big deal is about the 10 commandments anyway, to someone walking in the Spirit would you really want to steal? Or envy ones possessions? To talk back to the elderly? To spread lies or to worship other gods? Etc...?
I used to do those things before now it's just in my nature that I don't.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That's it!
Honestly I don't see what the big deal is about the 10 commandments anyway, to someone walking in the Spirit would you really want to steal? Or envy ones possessions? To talk back to the elderly? To spread lies or to worship other gods? Etc...?
I used to do those things before now it's just in my nature that I don't.

You don't think you are able to keep all 10 commandments, do you?

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
You don't think you are able to keep all 10 commandments, do you?
Well I tell little white lies and I know you can't get around that no matter how little it is.. but the hebrews believed in over 600 right?
I'm sure I steal time from work also but I do know that after I received the Spirit I had no urge to steal from the grocery store anymore, that was a blessing for me anyways.
I was only suggesting that those 10 commandments are not even that bad, anymore at least for me.. but to say that I keep them perfectly I would be breaking them all... :/ I don't see them as impossible but I know that Christs commandments are all what matters, love thine God and love thy neighbors as Christ has loved us..

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Certainly John emphasized "love" of others particularly other believers as primary

RichWh1

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Certainly John emphasized "love" of others particularly other believers as primary

Jesus said that love of God and love of neighbor fulfilled the Law and the Prophets.

“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ *This is the great and foremost commandment. *The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ *On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”
Matthew 22:36-40 - NASB

Last edited:

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Jesus said that love of God and love of neighbor fulfilled the Law and the Prophets.

“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ *This is the great and foremost commandment. *The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ *On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”
Matthew 22:36-40 - NASB

What then do you do when your not feeling very loving towards others or very patient? I know some people seem easy to love, but others are difficult to even be around. I don't feel particularly loving when I am disrespected or ignored or if someone is wasting my time with something I don't need or don't need to know.

Michael

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Well I tell little white lies and I know you can't get around that no matter how little it is.. but the hebrews believed in over 600 right?
I'm sure I steal time from work also but I do know that after I received the Spirit I had no urge to steal from the grocery store anymore, that was a blessing for me anyways.
I was only suggesting that those 10 commandments are not even that bad, anymore at least for me.. but to say that I keep them perfectly I would be breaking them all... :/ I don't see them as impossible but I know that Christs commandments are all what matters, love thine God and love thy neighbors as Christ has loved us..

Amen. The whole of the Law is summed up in the commands to love God and love others.
And truly we are keeping the Ten as we do this.
So often in modern Christendom the Ten get mixed up with the other "ordinances and regulations" of the Law of Moses. There IS a difference.
Jesus taught the Ten, and in fact expanded on them and taught them in their fullest meaning. These are the Eternal Moral Law of God. Theses will never be done away with. And YES we can keep them perfectly!! Jesus expects us to.

"if you want to enter into Life, keep the commandments.” (Matt 19:17) Jesus said to one who questioned Him, and then proceeded to explain the Ten were the commandments that must be kept if we are to "enter into Life."

Even after all is finished, and God is dwelling on the earth among men, with Christ (Head & Body) ruling from New Jerusalem, the Eternal Moral Law will be in effect, as Jesus again taught in the Revelation to John -
"Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of Life, and may enter through the gates into the city." - Rev 22:14

Oh, yes, we are to prove our faith in Jesus and trust in God by "keep His commandments" taught by Jesus and His Apostles.

"Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus." - Rev 14:12

We are actually going through the Ten Commandments in our mid-week Service right now at church, and I've been teaching on the full meaning of the Sabbath, the "rest of God" that the Scripture says we are to "labor (strive) to enter into." (Heb 4:11)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Amen. The whole of the Law is summed up in the commands to love God and love others.
And truly we are keeping the Ten as we do this.
So often in modern Christendom the Ten get mixed up with the other "ordinances and regulations" of the Law of Moses. There IS a difference.
Jesus taught the Ten, and in fact expanded on them and taught them in their fullest meaning. These are the Eternal Moral Law of God. Theses will never be done away with. And YES we can keep them perfectly!! Jesus expects us to.

"if you want to enter into Life, keep the commandments.” (Matt 19:17) Jesus said to one who questioned Him, and then proceeded to explain the Ten were the commandments that must be kept if we are to "enter into Life."

Even after all is finished, and God is dwelling on the earth among men, with Christ (Head & Body) ruling from New Jerusalem, the Eternal Moral Law will be in effect, as Jesus again taught in the Revelation to John -
"Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of Life, and may enter through the gates into the city." - Rev 22:14

Oh, yes, we are to prove our faith in Jesus and trust in God by "keep His commandments" taught by Jesus and His Apostles.

"Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus." - Rev 14:12

We are actually going through the Ten Commandments in our mid-week Service right now at church, and I've been teaching on the full meaning of the Sabbath, the "rest of God" that the Scripture says we are to "labor (strive) to enter into." (Heb 4:11)

I can guarantee you aren't filling those 2 commandments perfectly.

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Only Christ could fullfil the OT law, he took the death that we deserved, if I had broken a law back then I would have broken them all and and deserved stoning.. I have faith that even my future trespasses are forgiven and that God doesn't have me walking a fine rope over a lake of fire ready to flick me into it if I stumble.. I had that reason before and was overwhelmingly afraid, I almost wished he would just take me before I mess up "my salvation" :(
So now I walk in growth and maturity in Christ and am thankful that he gives me another day :) when I have doubt my first reaction should be "forgiveness", I was sore in need of a comforter.. he has delivered me from my destructive lifestyle and lifted the burden of law.
Actually I don't even know what denomination I even am lol I pretty much accept them all, blessed are the peace makers.. maybe I got tired of bickering, just want to fight the good fight and learn as I go but I don't want to fight with my brothers and sisters anymore. Love God and Love thy neighbor is good enough for me

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Only Christ could fullfil the OT law, he took the death that we deserved, if I had broken a law back then I would have broken them all and and deserved stoning.. I have faith that even my future trespasses are forgiven and that God doesn't have me walking a fine rope over a lake of fire ready to flick me into it if I stumble.. I had that reason before and was overwhelmingly afraid, I almost wished he would just take me before I mess up "my salvation" :(
So now I walk in growth and maturity in Christ and am thankful that he gives me another day :) when I have doubt my first reaction should be "forgiveness", I was sore in need of a comforter.. he has delivered me from my destructive lifestyle and lifted the burden of law.
Actually I don't even know what denomination I even am lol I pretty much accept them all, blessed are the peace makers.. maybe I got tired of bickering, just want to fight the good fight and learn as I go but I don't want to fight with my brothers and sisters anymore. Love God and Love thy neighbor is good enough for me

This is a beautiful and faithful testimony :)

Michael

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I can guarantee you aren't filling those 2 commandments perfectly.

So we just give up? I'm not sure I understand how your accusation negates God's Word.

"You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matt 5:48)

"Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; 14 as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; 15 but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 16 because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.”

17 And if you call on the Father, who without partiality judges according to each one’s work, conduct yourselves throughout the time of your stay here in fear; 18 knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot. 20 He indeed was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you 21 who through Him believe in God, who raised Him from the dead and gave Him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.

22 Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, 23 having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever, 24 because
“All flesh is as grass,
And all the glory of man as the flower of the grass.
The grass withers,
And its flower falls away,
25 But the word of the Lord endures forever.”

Now this is the word which by the gospel was preached to you."

- 1Pet 1:13-25

I'll let the Word of God speak for itself. That is what Jesus did when tempted by the devil or accused by the religious folk.

"He who has ears, let him hear what the Spirit is saying to the churches"

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
So we just give up? I'm not sure I understand how your accusation negates God's Word.

"You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matt 5:48)

"Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; 14 as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; 15 but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 16 because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.”

17 And if you call on the Father, who without partiality judges according to each one’s work, conduct yourselves throughout the time of your stay here in fear; 18 knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot. 20 He indeed was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you 21 who through Him believe in God, who raised Him from the dead and gave Him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.

22 Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, 23 having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever, 24 because
“All flesh is as grass,
And all the glory of man as the flower of the grass.
The grass withers,
And its flower falls away,
25 But the word of the Lord endures forever.”

Now this is the word which by the gospel was preached to you."

- 1Pet 1:13-25

I'll let the Word of God speak for itself. That is what Jesus did when tempted by the devil or accused by the religious folk.

"He who has ears, let him hear what the Spirit is saying to the churches"

Who said Give Up?

We love God and our neighbor because of God's love first for us. We want to obey Him because Jesus died for us and we are forgiven.

We don't love God and our neighbor to try to earn eternal life because that is not biblical. We believe in God for eternal life. John 3:16 There are more verses about believing for eternal life as well.

FredVB

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

Who said Give Up?

We love God and our neighbor because of God's love first for us. We want to obey Him because Jesus died for us and we are forgiven.

We don't love God and our neighbor to try to earn eternal life because that is not biblical. We believe in God for eternal life. John 3:16 There are more verses about believing for eternal life as well.

None of us have or will live perfectly obeying Yahweh doing as the commandments from God say. Yahweh is still gracious with Jesus Christ sent into this world and the way of salvation for us shown with faith in him having it possible, with repentance that happens and it leading from sin to needed relationship with Yahweh God through Christ. Doing what commandments say perfectly is not needed for coming to this, yet those of us who are believers are called to live in that way, with his help parting from sin in our life. We have to keep being shown sin we neglected to see to turn from that. Commandments are showing such sin to turn from and how to live right. What commandments would you not do living in obedience?

Jesus is also the example for us to follow him. What was he doing? He lived in obedience to the commandments, with perfect righteousness, perfect truth, and perfect grace and mercy to others.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We are called to perfect morality and perfect love.

Do we do that? Nope, not ever. We ALWAYS fall short (the definition of sin).

Should we thus stop trying? Nope. We are to press on to make it our own BECAUSE Christ has made us His own.

When we fail, does God weap? Yes. Does God forgive because of Christ? Yes.

Top Bottom