Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Is faith the absence of fear?

Fear of what? God's wrath when we die? That fear should be gone and replaced with peace and joy for the believer. Edited to add that our faith is not yet perfected so our sinful nature doesn't fully trust in God and so there might still be fear of not being loved enough by God or forgiven by Him.

When the angels would appear to man in the bible, the first words they would say were "Fear not".

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Fear of what?

That's a good question to consider. At times fear might be "what's going to happen at that meeting with the boss today? I know I messed up that presentation..." to "My Doctor has given me the 'bad news'. What shall I tell my family? How will I cope? I'm just full of fear about this..." Global statements about faith and fear, while perhaps meant to be a reassurance about having confidence in God and his ultimate will, can tend to miss the subtleties of different circumstances.

God's wrath when we die? That fear should be gone and replaced with peace and joy for the believer. Edited to add that our faith is not yet perfected so our sinful nature doesn't fully trust in God and so there might still be fear of not being loved enough by God or forgiven by Him.

Good point. I think we continue to use our own self-determined standard as to how we "measure up" in our walk of faith, which can produce a type of fear that we are 'missing the mark'. However, stepping out in faith and going back to the standard given in scripture (that "...we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins..."). So I see in that sense that faith can counteract and lessen fear, but again isn't necessarily an opposite.

When the angels would appear to man in the bible, the first words they would say were "Fear not".

I wonder how often we, as humans, examine why we should "fear not" in different circumstances. The angels explained why the shepherds should not fear, they understood, and stepped out in faith with expectancy. Is that, perhaps, a legitimate example of "opposites"?

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I am thinking of the OT story about when they were carrying the ark of the covenant, and they had to cross the Jordan. The Jordan is a deep, fast river, and the force of the water, unstable footing under the water that the men could not see, going down the steep bank of the river... and carrying an ark that just touching could kill you... knowing you could easily stumble or be carried away by the water... God didn't part those waters before the men stepped out. I think they felt the fear and did it anyway because they had faith that God would do as he said, and part the waters. Those men who carried the ark were either fearful and faithful or simply suicidal.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I believe that we all come to God in fear at first but then God takes us into His arms and tells us not to fear any more and to only Love... this is implied greatly in scripture.
It's also why I despise teachers of perfectionism, that we should remain in constant fear of not meeting Gods expectations and so we must preach to other believers the same and hope that it appeases God by doing so.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I am thinking of the OT story about when they were carrying the ark of the covenant, and they had to cross the Jordan. The Jordan is a deep, fast river, and the force of the water, unstable footing under the water that the men could not see, going down the steep bank of the river... and carrying an ark that just touching could kill you... knowing you could easily stumble or be carried away by the water... God didn't part those waters before the men stepped out. I think they felt the fear and did it anyway because they had faith that God would do as he said, and part the waters. Those men who carried the ark were either fearful and faithful or simply suicidal.

Weren't they fearful of God's Law though in that case...that if they touched the ark they would die?

Today we still fear God because of His Law that accuses us of our sins but my faith is not in His Law but in the Gospel.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I believe it says that fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
...(M)y faith is not in His Law but in the Gospel.

Okay, in a practical sense, what does that mean? It's much the same to me as saying "if we have more faith we should have less fear" - a statement I heard on a Christian radio station that immediately made me turn it off. While out faith is in the Gospel, how does that look? It's fine to say, and it may be true, but let's tease that apart before the next 'Casting Crowns' tune begins.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I believe it says that fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom

I agree. A holy, reverent, righteous fear that recognizes who God is - his power, majesty, wisdom... I could go on. And this, I think, is separate from a "do not approach - danger!" type of fear that we, as humans, might think of.
Good point

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Okay, in a practical sense, what does that mean? It's much the same to me as saying "if we have more faith we should have less fear" - a statement I heard on a Christian radio station that immediately made me turn it off. While out faith is in the Gospel, how does that look? It's fine to say, and it may be true, but let's tease that apart before the next 'Casting Crowns' tune begins.

God's Law says to be perfect. I can't do that so I'm afraid. I don't have faith in that.

God's Gospel says I am forgiven because Jesus died on the cross for my sins. There lies my comfort. That's what my faith grasps onto.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Very simply we know what God can do and fear that and rest in the fact that we are forgiven

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
God's Law says to be perfect. I can't do that so I'm afraid. I don't have faith in that.

God's Gospel says I am forgiven because Jesus died on the cross for my sins. There lies my comfort. That's what my faith grasps onto.

And that's a beautiful thought whether it's messing up the presentation or getting the news from the doctor and being fearful of a (potential) future.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
And that's a beautiful thought whether it's messing up the presentation or getting the news from the doctor and being fearful of a (potential) future.

Faith doesn't promise me a happy life on earth. It promises me eternal life with God.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
While we have faith in God, we still fear Him. He is the Sovereign King. He is our Father. He is not our best buddy. He wields the power of life and death. We fear His wrath, even while we trust in His mercy and grace.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My 2nd post in this thread asked Fear of what? Fear of God's wrath?

Then the OP started talking about our daily lives and having fear. Is that where the thread was supposed to go? As Christians do we have fear in our daily lives that things aren't going to go as planned because maybe we aren't sure what's God's will for us in those matters?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

Then the OP started talking about our daily lives and having fear. Is that where the thread was supposed to go? As Christians do we have fear in our daily lives that things aren't going to go as planned because maybe we aren't sure what's God's will for us in those matters?
Many seem to have this fear and I think we have all fallen victim to this

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married

People fear being out of control. They want a God who will make them comfortable and happy. They believe that this is what God gives them when they pray to be saved. We have preachers pawning the idea of health & wealth to billions across the globe. When God doesn't do as the person wishes, they turn on God and think God has failed them.
That was never faith. That was wishful manipulation in hopes of getting a better life than they had/have. It was all self-centered activity.
Faith is trusting in the promises of God's word no matter what He ordains. It is holding things lightly and trusting that He will never leave you nor forsake you even though the world is falling apart all around you. It doesn't mean we don't fear the events around us. It means we believe God has ordained the events around us for the glory of His name. He brings both the good and the bad into our lives so that we might be made in the image of Jesus.
Nothing happens outside of the ordained will of God. We hold tight to the promises and kiss the wave that tosses us onto the Rock of Ages.

Last edited:

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes

Well, in response I mentioned the subtleties of different circumstances. The fear of God's wrath is very real for some, and in that sense it does answer the "fear of what" question (which I did say was a good question...). So it can be fear about our daily lives, but may be more eternally significant than that, as you noted (fear of God's wrath for example). We can have an intellectual assurance of God's peace and forgiveness, but unless it becomes an issue of the heart we're still bound somewhat by fear.

So how does faith impact each? Does fear become "absent"? And does fear indicate absence of faith (or less of it...?) as if on a continuum? Some seem to believe so and that was the inspiration behind the OP. The title of the thread is a bit of a misnomer, btw, and that's how it was intended.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Is faith the absence of fear?

No, faith is believing and apparently trusting too but many people who believe and trust fear. Jesus feared in the garden of Gethsemane. If God incarnate feared who can expect people not to?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Okay, in a practical sense, what does that mean? It's much the same to me as saying "if we have more faith we should have less fear" - a statement I heard on a Christian radio station that immediately made me turn it off. While our faith is in the Gospel, how does that look? It's fine to say, and it may be true, but let's tease that apart before the next 'Casting Crowns' tune begins.

Dear friend, my faith is not IN the gospel it is in Jesus Christ. The gospel is good news about Jesus Christ but I do not love, believe, and trust the good news it is the one about which the gospel tells that I believe, love, and trust.

Top Bottom