• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Embarrassed
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 22

    Denomination & Faith Movement Discussions - Thread: What is Jesus' role in the church?

    1. #1
      Lämmchen's Avatar
      Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      52
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo
       
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      19,495
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      215,022
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (335,355 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      228,249
      Level
      97
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.06%
      Rep Power
      952

      What is Jesus' role in the church?

      What is Jesus' role in the church?

      Outside of the liturgical churches I'm finding that Jesus doesn't play a big role in their theology beyond their asking Him into their hearts (which liturgical churches don't do). So I'm curious what is the role of Jesus in some of those churches?
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

    2. #2
      jsimms435's Avatar
      jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Moderator
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      3,429
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      7,400
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      17,061
      Level
      37
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      28.87%
      Rep Power
      467
      Colossians 1:18 says "He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything."

      I think most pastors would say that this is true, but the reality is that many pastors think that they are the chief or rulers of the church they serve.

    3. #3
      psalms 91's Avatar
      psalms 91 is offline Silver Member
      Moderator
      Supporting Member
      70
      Mood:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Pa
      Posts
      13,984
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      1,249
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (5,006,810 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      64,614
      Level
      62
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      92.4%
      Rep Power
      667
      He is the head but if pastors and leaders are not being led by the Holy Spirit and hearing from God then how can they follow and lead anyone else?
      There are many who are led by the spirit but there are also many that deny the spirits place in leading, I think Jesus called it the blind leading the blind
      Isaiah 40:31

    4. Likes jsimms435 liked this post
    5. #4
      MennoSota's Avatar
      MennoSota is offline Bronze Member
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      6,637
      CH Cash
      27,905
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      23,309
      Level
      42
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      35.8%
      Rep Power
      541
      Quote Originally Posted by psalms 91 View Post
      He is the head but if pastors and leaders are not being led by the Holy Spirit and hearing from God then how can they follow and lead anyone else?
      There are many who are led by the spirit but there are also many that deny the spirits place in leading, I think Jesus called it the blind leading the blind
      The Spirit leads in scripture. We hear God in scripture.
      Is there any need for an extra-ordinary experience that diminishes our need of faith, given by God?
      Our pastor's must remain rooted in scripture, praying diligently as they seek God's guidance in the words God has given us.
      Why would we insist from God that He give us more revelation? Is His word not sufficient?

    6. Likes RichWh1 liked this post
    7. #5
      Lämmchen's Avatar
      Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      52
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo
       
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      19,495
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      215,022
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (335,355 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      228,249
      Level
      97
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.06%
      Rep Power
      952
      We've had a couple people say he's head of the church. So what does that entail? What does He do as head in your church?
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

    8. #6
      psalms 91's Avatar
      psalms 91 is offline Silver Member
      Moderator
      Supporting Member
      70
      Mood:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Pa
      Posts
      13,984
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      1,249
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (5,006,810 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      64,614
      Level
      62
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      92.4%
      Rep Power
      667
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      The Spirit leads in scripture. We hear God in scripture.
      Is there any need for an extra-ordinary experience that diminishes our need of faith, given by God?
      Our pastor's must remain rooted in scripture, praying diligently as they seek God's guidance in the words God has given us.
      Why would we insist from God that He give us more revelation? Is His word not sufficient?
      God is constantly revealing to those who listen and are led by the spirit rather than their own wisdom
      Isaiah 40:31

    9. #7
      MennoSota's Avatar
      MennoSota is offline Bronze Member
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      6,637
      CH Cash
      27,905
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      23,309
      Level
      42
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      35.8%
      Rep Power
      541
      Quote Originally Posted by psalms 91 View Post
      God is constantly revealing to those who listen and are led by the spirit rather than their own wisdom
      This is the claim of many cult groups. (Not saying you are in one.) God has revealed all he needs for us in scripture.

    10. #8
      ImaginaryDay2's Avatar
      ImaginaryDay2 is offline Expert Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Tired
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      3,635
      CH Cash
      1,094
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (5,693 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      20,825
      Level
      40
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      46.42%
      Rep Power
      538
      I'm somewhat surprised by the OP. I think one of the things that unites the 'faith' is the recognition that Christ is the true head of His church and we are continually under His authority. His role as Head, then, isn't really in dispute among the churches but how it might actually look.

      Although some Liturgical churches do not specifically "ask" Christ into their hearts, I don't know that there'd be any dispute that the Spirit of Christ is in us, residing in our heart and mind, guiding our will and influencing our decisions. In that respect He certainly is to be found there.

    11. #9
      Lämmchen's Avatar
      Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      52
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo
       
      Mood:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      19,495
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      215,022
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (335,355 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      228,249
      Level
      97
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.06%
      Rep Power
      952
      Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryDay2 View Post
      I'm somewhat surprised by the OP. I think one of the things that unites the 'faith' is the recognition that Christ is the true head of His church and we are continually under His authority. His role as Head, then, isn't really in dispute among the churches but how it might actually look.

      Although some Liturgical churches do not specifically "ask" Christ into their hearts, I don't know that there'd be any dispute that the Spirit of Christ is in us, residing in our heart and mind, guiding our will and influencing our decisions. In that respect He certainly is to be found there.
      Don't be so surprised.

      Have you heard about some denominations that talk about the works they need to do after Jesus initially saved them? What role does Jesus have in their church since He did His part and they believe now they have to do theirs? Some of them don't even believe that their sins (after they initially got saved) were forgiven at the cross. So what exactly does Jesus do for them?
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

    12. #10
      psalms 91's Avatar
      psalms 91 is offline Silver Member
      Moderator
      Supporting Member
      70
      Mood:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Pa
      Posts
      13,984
      Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      1,249
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (5,006,810 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Points
      64,614
      Level
      62
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      92.4%
      Rep Power
      667
      Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
      This is the claim of many cult groups. (Not saying you are in one.) God has revealed all he needs for us in scripture.
      Really? How about day to day decisions? How about warnings about things or people and I know this has happened to many?
      Isaiah 40:31

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •