Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
What is Jesus' role in the church?

Outside of the liturgical churches I'm finding that Jesus doesn't play a big role in their theology beyond their asking Him into their hearts (which liturgical churches don't do). So I'm curious what is the role of Jesus in some of those churches?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Colossians 1:18 says "He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything."

I think most pastors would say that this is true, but the reality is that many pastors think that they are the chief or rulers of the church they serve.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
He is the head but if pastors and leaders are not being led by the Holy Spirit and hearing from God then how can they follow and lead anyone else?
There are many who are led by the spirit but there are also many that deny the spirits place in leading, I think Jesus called it the blind leading the blind

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
He is the head but if pastors and leaders are not being led by the Holy Spirit and hearing from God then how can they follow and lead anyone else?
There are many who are led by the spirit but there are also many that deny the spirits place in leading, I think Jesus called it the blind leading the blind
The Spirit leads in scripture. We hear God in scripture.
Is there any need for an extra-ordinary experience that diminishes our need of faith, given by God?
Our pastor's must remain rooted in scripture, praying diligently as they seek God's guidance in the words God has given us.
Why would we insist from God that He give us more revelation? Is His word not sufficient?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We've had a couple people say he's head of the church. So what does that entail? What does He do as head in your church?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
The Spirit leads in scripture. We hear God in scripture.
Is there any need for an extra-ordinary experience that diminishes our need of faith, given by God?
Our pastor's must remain rooted in scripture, praying diligently as they seek God's guidance in the words God has given us.
Why would we insist from God that He give us more revelation? Is His word not sufficient?

God is constantly revealing to those who listen and are led by the spirit rather than their own wisdom

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
God is constantly revealing to those who listen and are led by the spirit rather than their own wisdom
This is the claim of many cult groups. (Not saying you are in one.) God has revealed all he needs for us in scripture.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I'm somewhat surprised by the OP. I think one of the things that unites the 'faith' is the recognition that Christ is the true head of His church and we are continually under His authority. His role as Head, then, isn't really in dispute among the churches but how it might actually look.

Although some Liturgical churches do not specifically "ask" Christ into their hearts, I don't know that there'd be any dispute that the Spirit of Christ is in us, residing in our heart and mind, guiding our will and influencing our decisions. In that respect He certainly is to be found there.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm somewhat surprised by the OP. I think one of the things that unites the 'faith' is the recognition that Christ is the true head of His church and we are continually under His authority. His role as Head, then, isn't really in dispute among the churches but how it might actually look.

Although some Liturgical churches do not specifically "ask" Christ into their hearts, I don't know that there'd be any dispute that the Spirit of Christ is in us, residing in our heart and mind, guiding our will and influencing our decisions. In that respect He certainly is to be found there.

Don't be so surprised.

Have you heard about some denominations that talk about the works they need to do after Jesus initially saved them? What role does Jesus have in their church since He did His part and they believe now they have to do theirs? Some of them don't even believe that their sins (after they initially got saved) were forgiven at the cross. So what exactly does Jesus do for them?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
This is the claim of many cult groups. (Not saying you are in one.) God has revealed all he needs for us in scripture.

Really? How about day to day decisions? How about warnings about things or people and I know this has happened to many?

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The OP asks about theology. Did you intend to focus on that, or more broadly Christian life? I can tell you that the mainline tradition's theology is entirely based on the NT, with a focus on what Jesus said about himself or what his actions showed. That upsets many others, who see the focus of theology on developments such as the Trinity, Calvinism. moralism, or our "decision for Christ." (We're more inclined to look at Christ's decision for us.)

I believe current Catholic theology shares this focus, and in fact in many ways Catholics and mainline Biblical scholars and theologians are a single community. The impact on the Catholic church tends to be muted because of its commitment to tradition. Perhaps you would classify the mainline as a liturgical church. Since the mid 20th Cent there's some basis for that.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The OP asks about theology. Did you intend to focus on that, or more broadly Christian life? I can tell you that the mainline tradition's theology is entirely based on the NT, with a focus on what Jesus said about himself or what his actions showed. That upsets many others, who see the focus of theology on developments such as the Trinity, Calvinism. moralism, or our "decision for Christ." (We're more inclined to look at Christ's decision for us.)

I believe current Catholic theology shares this focus, and in fact in many ways Catholics and mainline Biblical scholars and theologians are a single community. The impact on the Catholic church tends to be muted because of its commitment to tradition. Perhaps you would classify the mainline as a liturgical church. Since the mid 20th Cent there's some basis for that.

I wasn't just going for theology in the OP although theology is HUGE. Since non-liturgical churches are more inclined to believe that Holy Communion is merely symbolic, then they don't see Jesus having a role there in it. Only their own. That's one example. So now I'm looking for examples of where Jesus DOES have a ROLE in the church. They've said He's the head so what does that entail?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
It entails sermons that are not man but rather the Holy Spirit inspired. I love it when someone you wouldnt think in a million years could preach and the Spirit gets hold of him and the same with sermon prep, those who are the least likely to be good at it are the ones I love to hear because I know when they are great it is God and not them

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Really? How about day to day decisions? How about warnings about things or people and I know this has happened to many?
What about them? God has given you a mind that is discerning. God has told us to pray for wisdom and he will grant it.
New revelation does not seem necessary when God has provided all we need in scripture.
Faith is necessary to trust what God has already revealed and to make wise decisions based upon what God has provided. What would be the purpose of needing more signs? To me it seems faithless to require added signs and experiences for daily living. God has promised he will never leave us nor forsake us. Do we faithfully trust that or not?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Not a question of demanding but it is a question of relationship, without it you hear nothing

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What about the topic? What role does Jesus play in your church?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
As I said it is a matter of the Pastor being led in the spirit to what to preach teach, how to pray and deal with his congregation. Lifting up leaders and gifting the various leaders ie Sunday School, teachers, counselers, etc.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
As I said it is a matter of the Pastor being led in the spirit to what to preach teach, how to pray and deal with his congregation. Lifting up leaders and gifting the various leaders ie Sunday School, teachers, counselers, etc.

That's stating what the third person of the Godhead does (the Holy Spirit) and even though we have one God...He is triune. I'm asking what specifically does the 2nd person of the Godhead do ...meaning Jesus? What is Jesus' role?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
That's stating what the third person of the Godhead does (the Holy Spirit) and even though we have one God...He is triune. I'm asking what specifically does the 2nd person of the Godhead do ...meaning Jesus? What is Jesus' role?
The same thing since they are all the same, it is Jesus as the head that appoints and equips and leads, the Holy Spirit can only do what he is allowed to do in obedience. If you wish to seperate them then I look forward to your answer as to the different individual roles.

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Trying to speak for the PCUSA. I think our goal is to be followers of Jesus. Most preaches follow the lectionary, and of the 3 readings, the Gospel is probably picked the most commonly. Sermons are usually a combination of exegesis and looking at how to put Jesus' teachings into practice, with a mix of personal, communal and "social justice" applications.

Sunday School and adult studies are commonly Bible studies, though we also cover a variety of contemporary topics.

Worship is most commonly traditional Protestant worship:confession, prayers, sermon, hymns. Communion is traditional (based on the Anaphora of the Holy Tradition). The Reformed view of communion is kind of a compromise. In practice most pastors hand out the elements saying "the body of Christ" and "the blood of Christ," and I think most people take it seriously, though the bread and wine themselves are symbols of the actual presence. I think if you quizzed pepole you'd probably find us closer to receptionism than to Calvin's position.

It's hard to know what else you're interested in.

Top Bottom