LUKE 3:16 BAPTISM OF FIRE

Doug

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Luke 3:16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

3:17 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.

Within these verses above there are three baptisms; only one is with water. John baptized the nation of Israel to cleanse them to be priests in the coming kingdom (Exodus 29:4 Revelation 5:10). John also baptized to identify Jesus as their Messiah (John 1:31).

Acts 1:5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

What John and Jesus spoke of in regard to the baptism of the Holy Ghost was fulfilled at Pentecost.

Ezekiel 22:21 Yea, I will gather you, and blow upon you in the fire of my wrath, and ye shall be melted in the midst therof.

Fire is associated with the wrath of God.

Matthew 3:7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

John was baptizing when he saw the Pharisees and Sadducees and warned them to flee the coming wrath. The wrath John spoke of is the day of the Lord (Isaiah 2:12 Revelation 6:17).

The baptism of fire is the pouring out of the wrath of God. John was exhorting the nation of Israel to turn and recognize Jesus as their Messiah and be cleansed for his kingdom to escape the coming wrath. Luke 3:17 is speaking of the believing remnant of Israel being separated from the unbelieving nation of Israel.

1 Thessalonians 1:10 And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.

Jesus has saved us as well from the coming wrath.

Top Bottom