Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/california-democrats-full-health-benefits-illegal-immigrants-trump

"Under an agreement between Gov. Gavin Newsom and Democrats in the state legislature, low-income adults between the ages of 19 and 25 living in California illegally would be eligible for California’s Medicaid program, known as Medi-Cal. The deal emerged as part of a broader $213 billion budget."

"To pay for part of it, the state agreed to start taxing people who don’t have health insurance."

Seriously??????

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
This I have mixed feelings about. I really dont like the idea of doing this but at the same time they need care till they can be sent back. I also dont like the idea of taxing those who dont have insurance as they probably dont have it because of cost to start with. On the whole the more I think about it the more i think this is a bad idea

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
This I have mixed feelings about. I really dont like the idea of doing this but at the same time they need care till they can be sent back. I also dont like the idea of taxing those who dont have insurance as they probably dont have it because of cost to start with. On the whole the more I think about it the more i think this is a bad idea

Well, yeah, they're punishing our poor people to make themselves look good to the world by saying they'll take care of them. But that's the wrong attitude. We need to first provide for our own. I like the idea of some time of universal or single payer for our country but I don't want to pay a fortune in taxes for it.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Streets lined with homeless citizens but they can find the money to provide health care to people who shouldn't be there? And then they probably wonder why the illegals keep coming.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well, yeah, they're punishing our poor people to make themselves look good to the world by saying they'll take care of them. But that's the wrong attitude. We need to first provide for our own. I like the idea of some time of universal or single payer for our country but I don't want to pay a fortune in taxes for it.
Its going to be one or the other: do without a universal health care program or have huge tax increases if we go that way.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Its going to be one or the other: do without a universal health care program or have huge tax increases if we go that way.

I've read a couple of reports (I forget the links, although they didn't seem to be overtly partisan one way or the other) that suggested that universal healthcare wouldn't cost as much as people might expect. When people are already paying north of $1000/month in premiums and still on the hook for a $5000 deductible per person, that means that even a couple in poor health are potentially out of pocket to the tune of $22,000pa just in healthcare expenses. It doesn't seem like a huge leap of faith to figure that a centrally funded system could be achieved much more cheaply than the existing system. Of course whether the same governments that provide the VA and the DMV could actually achieve something that didn't cost twice as much for a service half as good is another matter.

One thing that is striking about the US system is just how much some drugs can cost. Some years ago I was in the US and needed some medication, which was prescription only and even then would cost $150. It wasn't urgent, so I waited until I was back in England and bought it over the counter at the pharmacy for less than $10.

A major downside with something that is publicly funded is that it ends up being used as a political football whichever party is in power, and anything funded by the government typically ends up riddled with inefficiency and waste if not outright corruption. And then you get some of the increasing silliness like we saw with the NHS in England, where the government is quite happy taking billions in taxes from smokers but then turn around and try to deny treatment for smoking-related issues on the NHS. A few years back they came up with the grand idea of denying treatment to overweight people, although strangely didn't offer any tax reduction to offset the loss of service provision. And it comes with similar issues related to rationing, where in some areas you can get cosmetic surgery on the NHS, in some areas you can get IVF, and in other areas you struggle to get certain cancer treatments.

It's great to know that if you are involved in something nasty you won't get an even nastier bill for medical treatment, it's great to know that if you are rushed to hospital following a heart attack or something you don't have anyone playing "guess what my insurance will cover" when you're not in any condition to do your research, but it's not great to know that the system increasingly focuses on hoping things will go away by themselves.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
As a Californian myself, this is really VERY simple.

In The People's Republic of California, illegal aliens can vote. And they vote almost exclusively for the Democrats who promise them free everything - as long as they remain poor.

The Democrats want their vote.

Sure, the free paradise they are offered (as long as they remain poor and don't succeed) costs much. But that never occurs to Democrats; I mean, what are printing presses for, anyway? And they WANT to punish the successful, the business owners who employ people, the BAD (and they are bad because they are rich). So they can "kill two birds with one stone" - keep the illegals in their pocket AND punish the rich.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The silly thing is that "remain poor" is often rather vaguely defined. From what I can tell of the way things work it seems you could quite conceivably have a platinum American Express card in the same wallet as your food stamps card. Of course working for cash in hand doesn't show up anywhere unless you choose to declare it so you could have quite a nice side income while still getting government help.

Top Bottom