Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Do you think that if a restaurant has a dress code for its patrons that it should be consistent for all?

This one complained that she was kicked out of a restaurant for wearing shorts and a crop top and it's what a lot of people wear when it's hot out. Except she is heavy set and not as sexy as some of the thinner women who wear those things and are allowed to stay in restaurants.

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/...n-corral-kicked-her-out-because-shes-not-thin

Do you think that's fair?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Not only is it not fair I would say a good lawsuit in the making as well

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Do you think that if a restaurant has a dress code for its patrons that it should be consistent for all?

This one complained that she was kicked out of a restaurant for wearing shorts and a crop top and it's what a lot of people wear when it's hot out. Except she is heavy set and not as sexy as some of the thinner women who wear those things and are allowed to stay in restaurants.

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/...n-corral-kicked-her-out-because-shes-not-thin

IMO, an establishment can make whatever dress code they want. People should honor and respect it. If they don't like it, they can simply not patronize that establishment. Easy. Simple.

I DO agree it should be evenly administered. I've found that RARELY do restaurants "enforce" the dress code at all - which frankly, bothers me a bit. Why have it (and people like me thus ABIDE by it) if it actually isn't meant?

I grew up near the beach in a beach town. As a boy, there were months when i RARELY wore a shirt (obviously, church and school were exceptions). And there were businesses (usually nicer restaurants) that had a sign: "Shirts and shoes required" and I ALWAYS honored that (tourists didn't always). Then again, some had signs with "No Shirt? No Shoes? No Problem!" IMO, basic RESPECT and COURTESY are the issues; we should not give offense (intentionally or otherwise). ESPECIALLY if an establishment goes to the trouble to put up a sign, OBVIOUSLY we should abide (like it or not). And if we have ANY question, a simple "Am I dressed appropriately?" question at the desk is always in order (and don't get offended if the response is not a clear, bold, "of course!") Hey, not our house. I was raised that when you are a guest (even a paying guest) you RESPECT the home of another.

Just my half cent (since I was asked, lol)

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

If there is a code it needs to be enforced evenly or not at all. Otherwise the dress code ends up being little more than "does the owner think this person is sexy?" and the dress code might as well say "ugly people need not enter".

Ash

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Single
No
If there was an actual dress code that applied to everyone, then I think that it's perfectly fine to ensure that the dress code is enforced for everyone. I do think that she has a point that if a thinner woman wore the same, they might not have said anything.

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
Well, in a related topic, I don't see why women can't just wear lingerie in public. I mean, bikinis are just colored underwear, to be honest. I mean, I'm not trying to push some hedonist or puritanical view - but just stating the facts.

Anyway, regarding restaurants, I do see the big deal about prohibitions against "no shirt, no shoes, no service" - when people can go to the beach or pool with "no shirt, no shoes".

Last edited:

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well, in a related topic, I don't see why women can't just wear lingerie in public. I mean, bikinis are just colored underwear, to be honest. I mean, I'm not trying to push some hedonist or puritanical view - but just stating the facts.

Anyway, regarding restaurants, I do see the big deal about prohibitions against "no shirt, no shoes, no service" - when people can go to the beach or pool with "no shirt, no shoes".

It's pretty simple - the restaurant gets to decide for themselves. You can go to a nude beach and wear nothing at all but that doesn't mean it should be OK to just walk into a restaurant stark naked and expect to be served. The restaurant just sets a standard and as long as they enforce it consistently I don't see a problem. If you don't like the dress code nobody is forcing you to eat there.

Top Bottom