Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
What precisely makes a Christian "Evangelical" and not?

Last edited:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Here's how I PERSONALLY would define the term....

One who personally proclaims the Christian Gospel...

THEREFORE one who hold that Jesus IS THE Savior....

THEREFORE, one who is a monergist....

THEREFORE, one who affirms Sola Gratia - Solus Christus - Sola Fide....

And who affirms the Apostles and Nicene Creeds.

I suspect there are Evangelicals in all denominations, but not everyone in them (and maybe at times, not most).

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Did you make a typo for the title?

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Last edited:

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
We seem to be getting a discussion on spelling, anyway!!! I spelled it right in the OP

I did an "edit" and it corrected it - but that correction isn't showing up. Anyway, it is my HOPE that people have a sense of what I meant.

Or maybe Lamm will just correct it - or just delete the whole thread (I'm totally okay with that).
Delete the thread. I have no desire to read a book to respond.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
We seem to be getting a discussion on spelling, anyway!!! I spelled it right in the OP

I did an "edit" and it corrected it - but that correction isn't showing up. Anyway, it is my HOPE that people have a sense of what I meant.

Or maybe Lamm will just correct it - or just delete the whole thread (I'm totally okay with that).
I knew you would reply this way! lol
I agree with some of what you said in the OP btw

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Last edited:

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Short answer:
of or denoting a tradition within Protestant Christianity emphasizing the authority of the Bible, personal conversion, and the doctrine of salvation by faith in the Atonement.

Long answer:
Evangelicalism (/ˌiːvænˈdʒɛlɪkəlɪzəm, ˌɛvæn-, -ən/), evangelical Christianity, or evangelical Protestantism,[a] is a worldwide, trans-denominational movement within Protestant Christianity which maintains the belief that the essence of the Gospel consists of the doctrine of salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ's atonement.[1][2][3] Evangelicals believe in the centrality of the conversion or "born again" experience in receiving salvation, in the authority of the Bible as God's revelation to humanity, and in spreading the Christian message. The movement has had a long presence in the Anglosphere before spreading further afield in the 19th, 20th and early 21st centuries.

Its origins are usually traced to 1738, with various theological streams contributing to its foundation, including English Methodism, the Moravian Church (in particular its bishop Nicolaus Zinzendorf and his community at Herrnhut), and German Lutheran Pietism. Preeminently, John Wesley and other early Methodists were at the root of sparking this new movement during the First Great Awakening. Today, evangelicals are found across many Protestant branches, as well as in various denominations not subsumed to a specific branch.[4] Among leaders and major figures of the evangelical Protestant movement were John Wesley, George Whitefield, Jonathan Edwards, Billy Graham, Bill Bright, Harold John Ockenga, John Stott and Martyn Lloyd-Jones. The movement gained great momentum during the 18th and 19th centuries with the Great Awakenings in Great Britain and the United States.

In 2016, there were an estimated 619 million evangelicals in the world, meaning that one in four Christians would be classified as evangelical.[5] The United States has the largest concentration of evangelicals in the world.[6] American evangelicals are a quarter of the nation's population and its single largest religious group.[7][8] The main movements are Baptist churches, Evangelical Anglicanism,[9] Wesleyanism,[10] Confessional Reformed churches, including the Presbyterian Church in America, Pentecostalism, charismatic Evangelicalism, neo-charismatic Evangelicalism and nondenominational Christianity.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I have taken to calling evangelicals, "evanjellyfish." They are syncretists who live by feelings with little to no theological basis. They create opinions based upon one verse and make up elaborate images of God off that one verse. They are in every denomination to greater or lesser extent and while their denominational title reaches a wide spectrum they mostly espouse a semi-pelagian belief.

zecryphon_nomdiv

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I have taken to calling evangelicals, "evanjellyfish." They are syncretists who live by feelings with little to no theological basis. They create opinions based upon one verse and make up elaborate images of God off that one verse. They are in every denomination to greater or lesser extent and while their denominational title reaches a wide spectrum they mostly espouse a semi-pelagian belief.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with you.

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Historically it was applied to most Protestants. In some countries or languages I believe it's still used that way.

But today in the US it tends to be used as a kind of party label. E.g. the National Association of Evangelicals has a statement of faith that echoes the main issues in early 20th Cent fundamentalism: inerrancy, the Virgin birth, etc. They typically consider themselves "born again," in the sense of having had a specific conversion experience. But there's also an evangelical culture, which tends towards a certain kind of worship and other things.

In many surveys Christians are classified into a half dozen or so groups. Normally it's evangelicals, mainline, Catholics, EO, etc.

Complicating this there is now a liberal wing of evangelicals. I'm thinking of Rob Bell and others. These people seem to be evangelical culturally but their theology is identical to the mainline. I'm guessing these folks would report themselves as evangelical in surveys.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I miss the term Evangelocals. :unsure:

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Historically it was applied to most Protestants. In some countries or languages I believe it's still used that way.

But today in the US it tends to be used as a kind of party label. E.g. the National Association of Evangelicals has a statement of faith that echoes the main issues in early 20th Cent fundamentalism: inerrancy, the Virgin birth, etc. They typically consider themselves "born again," in the sense of having had a specific conversion experience. But there's also an evangelical culture, which tends towards a certain kind of worship and other things.

In many surveys Christians are classified into a half dozen or so groups. Normally it's evangelicals, mainline, Catholics, EO, etc.

Complicating this there is now a liberal wing of evangelicals. I'm thinking of Rob Bell and others. These people seem to be evangelical culturally but their theology is identical to the mainline. I'm guessing these folks would report themselves as evangelical in surveys.
Rob Bell is a part of the "Emergent Church" movement, which taps into eastern mysticism, liberalism and essentially making it up as you go. Bell has been tossed out of the emergent movement as he has basically become a full fledged liberal who denies the deity of Christ. Many years ago, when he was pastor of Mars Hill, Grand Rapids, Michigan, I read his book, "Velvet Elvis" (at a friend's suggestion), and I knew he was going down the path of liberalism which would result in his rejection of Christianity.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I miss the term Evangelocals. :unsure:

I actually thought it was a new term that I hadn't come across before and was looking forward to hearing more about them :D

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I actually thought it was a new term that I hadn't come across before and was looking forward to hearing more about them :D

Me too.

I am sure that it can be of use for some purpose or other, such as Evangelicals who commit themselves to bringing the Gospel to the forgotten people who live in the parts of town where nice people never go--rather than thinking of missions as necessarily being in Borneo or Burma or somewhere like that. :scratchchin:

RichWh1

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
What precisely makes a Christian "Evangelical" and not?

An evangelical is one who preaches the Good News or the Gospel.
All Christians are commissioned to be evangelicals however the title has been taken over by a group who are political in nature and not Christian first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom