Evangelical Only Do Evangelicals have canonized Saints?

George

Tis Theos Megas
Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I have been to Baptist Churches that refer to the Evangelists as Saint Mark or John, but then they refer to Moses as just Moses. So wanted to ask about it how the Evangelicals view it. :)

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The tendency is to speak of saints as saints only if they were Christians. That doesn't mean that anything negative is being thought about OT figures like Moses.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Baptist would consider all christians to be saints.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
George and I were talking about this and he was asking me why some Baptist have in their bibles Saint Mark and Saint Paul but not Saint Moses and why am I not Saint Kathy in their eyes? What makes Mark and Paul from the bible saints but not other people if they aren't canonized?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Most often, when the word is used--and as George framed the question (IMO)--what's being asked is about people we are convinced are in heaven.

The word can also be used to refer to all believers here on Earth, but that is another matter. The churches most associated with the first usage may have a formal process for identifying such saints, called canonization, but the Baptists of course do not go in for that.

Last edited:

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Most often, when the word is used--and as George framed the question (IMO)--what's being asked is about people we are convinced are in heaven.

The word can also be used to refer to all believers here on Earth, but that is another matter. The churches most associated with the first usage may have a formal process for identifying such saints, called canonization, but the Baptists of course do not go in for that.

yes, that's true. there is no formal canonization process. The truth is, that other people can fool us. We also have an amazing ability to deceive ourselves. We may think that we are further along in our walk with God than we truly are. Others may appear some particular way outwardly and they are very different in their hearts and minds. Only God is truly equipped with the knowledge to truly judge and know us.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
? I am afraid that I failed to get how that post, other than for the first sentence, relates to the topic.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
? I am afraid that I failed to get how that post, other than for the first sentence, relates to the topic.

Well, if Evangelicals do NOT Canonize Saints, then HOW do they call ANYONE a Saint?

Calling EVERYONE who is a Christian "Saint Carl", as an example, would sound really phony if done consistently...

We (EOC Behemoths) have living saints in our midst,

And yet would NEVER call them a Saint until well after their repose...

They know what they do, and they know their sins...

And the struggle for the Faith is to the end...

George!!! You going to start posting more now?

I am wearying of being an Orthodox Blabbermouth due to lack of other Orthodox voices...

Mind you! :)

Arsenios

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well, if Evangelicals do NOT Canonize Saints, then HOW do they call ANYONE a Saint?
They simply treat them as such, just the same way we might refer to "Mr. Smith" without anyone requiring us to use the title.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

The point is that nobody really knows except that person and God if the person is even truly saved to begin with. If you say your a Christian I have to take your word for it because I don't know your heart or mind. Only God really knows and he is the true judge over who is a saint and who is not

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
[Lutheran being the original and the largest Evangelical group....]

In the Lutheran Church, all Christians, on earth but especially in heaven, are regarded as saints. The opening poster is a Saint. Pope Francis is a Saint. Billy Graham is a Saint.

However, Lutherans often use the term especially to refer to HISTORIC figures (whether Lutheran or otherwise) whom the whole church on Earth has customarily, traditionally and especially held up - perhaps as worthy of being our model of Christian life. Christians, historically, ecumenically, have looked up to them in a sense. Lutherans have liturgical calendars in which are "feast days" to honor individuals as saints in this sense.

But here is no dogmatic check list here, it's simply by historic, ecumenical consensus.... and has no particular theology attached to it, as it they received more love than me or you, or EARNED salvation more than you or me, or NEEDED Jesus more or less than me or you. Simply people of great faith and life, worthy of our learning from such.

In our very modern world, most don't have "heroes" anymore....people we lift up.... people they tell their children to grow up to be like. Too bad. Such can be helpful, even if they are flawed, even if they are human (in fact, being altogether human CAN in some ways make them better examples; we mere humans thus can do the good they did). When I was a Catholic boy, many such examples were held up to me. And I'm grateful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idq2LCQJ2dc

Last edited:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The point is that nobody really knows except that person and God if the person is even truly saved to begin with. If you say your a Christian I have to take your word for it because I don't know your heart or mind. Only God really knows and he is the true judge over who is a saint and who is not

Yes, that's a valid point. Even in churches which have a formal process of canonization, it is the popularity of the person rather than his saintliness that often accounts for him being added to the list of saints. But on the other hand, the thread started us off by mentioning some Apostles, Gospel-writers, etc. that we know from the New Testament, so they at least are more obvious choices. My church, for example, mainly keeps to such figures about whom there is almost universal agreement.

Top Bottom