Methodist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
OneNewsNow: The Coming Civil War Over Abortion
Friday, May 17, 2019 | Dr. Michael L. Brown - Guest Columnist
http://www.askdrbrown.org/
--If Donald Trump's election could evoke Madonna's expressed desire to blow up the White House … and the hearings for Brett Kavanaugh induce women to scream and pound at the Senate's doors – what will the overturning of Roe v. Wade bring about?

A civil war is coming to America, only this time, it will be abortion, rather than slavery, that divides the nation. And while I hope will all my heart that it will not be a physically violent war, the ideological conflict will certainly be violent and intense.

We witnessed some of this during the hearings for Brett Kavanaugh, when the opposition to his confirmation was fierce to the point of screaming and pounding at the Senate's doors.

This brought to my mind the famous line, "Hell hath no fury like that of a woman scorned," based on which I wrote an article titled, "Prepare for the Wrath of the Pro-Abortion Militants." The article ended by saying "that hell hath no fury like that of the militant pro-abortionists."

The very same day my article was posted on the Stream, Jennifer Hartline posted an article on that same website, titled, "It's Not Kavanaugh. It's Roe." Her article ended by saying, "They hate Kavanaugh because they love abortion and he does not. Hell hath no fury like 'women's rights' scorned."

We were hearing the same message!

This is part of what I refer to as Jezebel's War with America (the title of my forthcoming book), where the forces of radical feminism come together with the extreme pro-abortion movement (among other spiritual and cultural forces) in an attempt destroy America.

The only way to describe this is war.

Confirmation for this comes from the response to Alabama's pro-life bill, just passed by the Senate.

As expected, the reaction from the left has been fierce and intense.

Note the highlighted words in these tweets and comments: "Alabama just passed a near-total ban on abortion. No exceptions for rape or incest. Doctors could face 99 years in prison for providing abortions. This is a war on women, and it is time to fight like hell." (Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand)

"This ban is dangerous and exceptionally cruel – and the bill's authors want to use it to overturn Roe v. Wade. I've lived in that America and let me tell you: We are not going back – not now, not ever. We will fight this. And we will win." (Sen. Elizabeth Warren)

"Women's rights are under attack. This relentless and cruel Republican assault on women's health is designed to force a court battle to destroy Roe v. Wade. Democrats will be ready to defend health care and women's reproductive freedom." (Rep. Nancy Pelosi)

The reaction from Hollywood echoed the sentiments of Washington: According to John Legend, "These statehouses are waging all-out war on women and their right to control their reproductive decisions. This is awful."

Alyssa Milano tweeted, "There have been nearly 30 bans on abortion introduced, passed, or signed into law in statehouses around the country this year alone. This is Trump's anti-choice agenda and part of the GOP's war on women."

On Instagram, Tracie Lee Ross, with 6.5 million followers, wrote, "WE MUST FIGHT ~ this is terrifying."

And John Cusack tweeted, "This only ends with impeachment – and people in the streets."

As summed up by author Amber Tamblyn, "Good morning, women. Make no mistake. This is war."

Do we need this spelled out any more clearly? We are being told that those who stand for Roe v. Wade will fight like hell, that there will be people in the streets, that this is a battle, a war. We dare not miss the meaning.

Again, I fervently hope that this is not a physically violent war. I sincerely hope there will not be violent attacks by pro-abortion extremists leading to retaliation by those being attacked. (By definition, if you are pro-life, you will not seek to take the life of an innocent person.)

But if Trump's election could stir massive women marches with Madonna expressing her desire to blow up the White House, what will the overturning of Roe v. Wade bring about? (This is part of the reason I refer to all this as "Jezebel's war with America.")

We must also be reminded by how heartless the pro-abortion movement can be, as represented by this tweet from "comedian" Michelle Wolf: "Do what the Alabama government refuses to do: help women by donating to the https://yellowhammerfund.org. Donating is as easy as flicking an embryo out of a uterus should be" (my emphasis).

Yes, a tiny baby is just something to be "flicked"!

If this is how the left views a helpless baby in the womb, how will it view those who seek to overturn Roe v. Wade?

Recently, there has been an uptick of physical attacks on peaceful pro-lifers. And it is likely that such attacks will only increase in the days ahead.

All the more reason, then, that we keep working to change hearts and minds, that we pray for divine intervention, and that we reply with calmness and measured speech rather than angry rhetoric of our own.

A civil war is certain. The only thing to be determined is how bloody it will be. Much of that depends on us. Let us pursue the cause of life.
....thoughts?

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
"We will kill all those who oppose us both inside the womb and outside the womb! Raaaaaarrrrrrrr!!!!!!!"

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Somehow war does not look like a godly solution to abortion.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If we changed it to puppies in the womb there would be no fight for a want of abortion. That's the hypocrisy. Kill the children but not the animals.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
If we changed it to puppies in the womb there would be no fight for a want of abortion. That's the hypocrisy. Kill the children but not the animals.

But people kill puppies and dogs frequently and no one seriously suggests war.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
If we wish to minimize the abortion rate, making it illegal is the wrong way to go about it. There are nations where abortion is totally illegal and carries severe penalties where the abortion rate is much higher than in nations where it is legal. The reason for this is that the two most potent abortifacients in the world are ignorance and poverty and in those nations you have both. But even in developed nations you can still have ignorance and poverty. In some quarters there is great reluctance to providing sex education, particularly birth control information. The same applies to the provision of pre-natal and post-natal care and delivery at an affordable cost to low income mothers in particular. In some case that would mean at no cost.

The USA and Canada are both affluent nations. In the USA abortion services are not readily available and attempts are being made to further reduce that availability or eliminate it entirely. In Canada we have universal single payer medical care and there are no abortion laws. Abortion is fully funded under Canadian medicare. Does Canada have a higher rate of abortion? No! The abortion rate in the USA is 50% greater than in Canada.

I believe that abortion should be legal, it should be safe, it should be available and it should be the woman’s informed choice but most important of all --- it should be rare. In conclusion, we should always keep in mind that there are no more powerful abortifacients in the world than poverty and ignorance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If we wish to minimize the abortion rate, making it illegal is the wrong way to go about it...

I believe that abortion should be legal, it should be safe, it should be available and it should be the woman’s informed choice but most important of all --- it should be rare. In conclusion, we should always keep in mind that there are no more powerful abortifacients in the world than poverty and ignorance.
I really hate the sophomoric argument that we have been hearing for decades which says if we allow more wrongdoing--whatever it is--then the injustice will solve itself. None of the liberals who favor it ever use that argument when the topic turns to gun violence, you may notice. Oh no, then its "confiscate all the guns!"

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Not a civil war, no. Rather, if conservatives continue on their current course (which we don't know we'll happen), we're going to see a slow split of the US, with blue states moving closer to what Europe has been and the red states closer to a third world country.

Remember, the new anti-abortion campaign was just the emotional PR branch of a wider right-wing movement. Originally it was primarily racism. But today, it's opposition to health care except for the worthy, religious dogma in education, rolling back women's rights, etc.

I'd hate to see us go that way, but at a certain point you have to say: if conservatives want it, let them have it. We'll be happy to accept your most educated people and your kids.

Last edited:

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Not a civil war, no. Rather, if conservatives continue on their current course (which we don't know we'll happen), we're going to see a slow split of the US, with blue states moving closer to what Europe has been and the red states closer to a third world country.

Remember, the new anti-abortion campaign was just the emotional PR branch of a wider right-wing movement. Originally it was primarily racism. But today, it's opposition to health care except for the worthy, religious dogma in education, rolling back women's rights, etc.

I'd hate to see us go that way, but at a certain point you have to say: if conservatives want it, let them have it. Those states will lose their most educated people, particularly kids.
Women already have rights, abortion is one thing, late term abortion is another, next it's toddler abortion, heck they are already birthing stillborns and reviving them afterwards just in case the mother has a change of heart. True and sick

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I really hate the sophomoric argument that we have been hearing for decades which says if we allow more wrongdoing--whatever it is--then the injustice will solve itself. None of the liberals who favor it ever use that argument when the topic turns to gun violence, you may notice. Oh no, then its "confiscate all the guns!"
I guess some sophomores make arguments based on evidence. We have pretty good data now on what affects abortion rates. We have less good data, but some, on the effects of gun control.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The Coming Civil War Over Abortion

Frankly, bring it on!!! All my life, we've had this ENORMOUS "elephant in the room," this HORRIBLE moral situation, this killing of TENS OF MILLIONS of innocent humans, and it's been a big "don't talk about it" thing. YES, let's talk about this!!!!!

What I lament is that Alabama's move (which I agree with) will cause more of a POLITICAL war (as both parties need to appease their base) rather than a MORAL discussion. While I hold that abortion-on-demand should be illegal, that PER SE will not change hearts nor change moralities or even stop abortions. We ARE - very slowly - changing minds on this issue and the abortion rate is MUCH lower than it once was (the USA beginning to come into line with most Western countries with FAR, FAR less radical, liberal abortion laws than we do in the USA). We need to restore SOME value in life..... SOME sense that life SHOULD be precious and protected... and of course, SOME sense that it is NOT okay to kill someone else because WE were irresponsible (and have the government pay for it, too).

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I'd hate to see us go that way, but at a certain point you have to say: if conservatives want it, let them have it. We'll be happy to accept your most educated people and your kids.

Primarily racism? Don't women of all races get abortions?

Your comments suggesting life is as simple as liberals being bright and conservatives being stupid really makes your post rather pointless. There has to come a point where the argument that if you don't want a baby you could try keeping your pants on has to come into play. It's very much in vogue to cry about discrimination but nature says the woman carries the child. That's how it works. Therefore the woman has more of an interest in not getting stuck with an unwanted pregnancy, and if that means not going home with some random guy she just met in the bar then perhaps she should choose that option.

Interestingly if women can't get an abortion as easily the people most likely to lose out are men. Specifically the men who might otherwise be able to sweet-talk a woman into going home with them - given the woman has far more to lose than the man (who could, if he were inclined, simply walk away because she won't even know who he is) one would assume she would be less likely to consent.

Another consideration has to be the rights of the father of the baby. It is ridiculous to have a situation where the mother has the absolute right to decide whether to keep the child, and the father has no rights at all but plenty of responsibility. If the father wants the baby and the mother doesn't, too bad for him. If the father doesn't want the baby and the mother does, too bad for him.

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
No, not all conservatives are stupid. But more educated tend to be more liberal. See, e.g. https://www.people-press.org/2016/0...al-gap-between-more-and-less-educated-adults/. Also, younger generations tend to be more liberal. Thus in a country where red states carry out their goals, you're likely to see college grads leaving. If I were young, particularly with a family, I certainly wouldn't want to live in the kind of world the red states are constructing.

One other interesting trend in that link is that mixed positions, while still common, seem to be growing less so. I.e. we're getting more polarized.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
No, not all conservatives are stupid. But the more educated you are, the more liberal. See, e.g. https://www.people-press.org/2016/0...al-gap-between-more-and-less-educated-adults/. Also, younger generations tend to be more liberal. Thus in a country where red states carry out their goals, you're likely to see college grads leaving.

One other interesting trend in that link is that mixed positions, while still common, seem to be growing less so. I.e. we're getting more polarized.

The trouble with trying to correlate politics with education is that there are so many contaminating factors. People who live in cities tend to favor more liberal politics while those who live in rural areas tend to favor conservative politics. This could be down to little more than cities being ideal candidates for things like public services, which have to be paid for through taxes. City dwellers are more likely to support funding public services through taxation whereas those in more rural areas are less likely to support it, simply because it offers little to no benefit. Why would a country dweller want to pay more in tax to support better fire services in the city, only to then have to pay again to support their local volunteer fire service? And of course cities tend to draw the more educated because that's where jobs tend to be created.

We are certainly getting more polarised. I think social media is largely to blame for this, with the growth in "discussion by meme" and trying to reduce complex issues to memes and soundbites. Abortion is a classic example here - much as I instinctively dislike the thought of medically terminating a pregnancy I can see situations in which it becomes more acceptable. If the mother's life is in danger (as in real medical danger, not simply a claim of being unable to cope with a child right now) then it makes sense. I can understand making it more readily available if a woman is raped. Using it as little more than a last line of contraception creates all sorts of moral problems, not least because the issue of exactly when that thing in the womb counts as a human is a honking great can of worms.

Put simply if life begins at conception then logically an IUD must be considered a murder weapon. If life begins at birth then abortion is morally equivalent to having one's tonsils removed. If life begins some time before birth then abortion after that time must be considered to be homicide. Once abortion is classed as homicide then some pretty strong reasons are required to justify it, just like you need some pretty solid justification to use deadly force against any human.

Top Bottom