Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Is creating (writing the stories, inventing and drawing characters, superpowers, villains etc.) comic books, like those produced by DC Comics and Marvel, a sin for a Christian? Bring arguments to support your opinions.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That's an interesting question and one I've often thought about. I have no good answer but am eager to see what others think.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
All of those characters are based on pagan greek gods, and they teach those gods in school which is very odd. Is it a sin? I conclude that a Christian wouldn't care to write these kind of books, we can obviously see that the person wrote the Harry Potter books is far from Christian.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Is creating (writing the stories, inventing and drawing characters, superpowers, villains etc.) comic books, like those produced by DC Comics and Marvel, a sin for a Christian? Bring arguments to support your opinions.

Two things...

1. I doubt it although I've never seen a comic book (produced by DC or Marvel or any other).

2. We ARE sinners. NOTHING we do "hits the mark" but always falls short of the mark (the definition of sin) so it's always a bit dangerous to say, "But when I do this, I've ceased to be a sinner); the particular ACTION may be good but it doesn't mean we cease to be what we are, and probably doesn't mean we thus are entirely, perfectly "hitting the mark" and not in any sense "falling short of the mark." Sin isn't rare.

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
Jack Chic wrote comic books as "Christian tracts" --- they were thoroughly hateful.

Lucian Hodoboc

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Jack Chic wrote comic books as "Christian tracts" --- they were thoroughly hateful.

I looked him up. I found a very hateful comic about him created by someone after his death. Is his work available on the internet?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No

hotrhymez

Rhymeslayer
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of course not. Its just entertainment...I really doubt reading Spider Man is gonna be a problem.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Of course not. Its just entertainment...I really doubt reading Spider Man is gonna be a problem.
You are right, we create, that's what we do.
I never got into comic books but as a kid I loved the Batman movies!
I need to get over the fear that God would smite me for enjoying a little entertainment.
I really doubt that God is concerned with these little things, I believe he has bigger things on his mind than a child laughing dressed up in a comic book character costume or whatever

Webster

Religious Affiliation
Methodist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
On the surface, no; just as with most forms of literature, comics are a way to express unpopular opinions in a way that zings society; it is, as someone pointed out, another form of entertainment (I especially loved the first Batman film w/Michael Keaton in the titular role and really thought Christian Bale did well in the Dark Knight trilogy...

...the problem becomes, however, when we begin to substitute the worlds found there for the real world and the beauties found w/in....I'll have more thoughts on this; these are what came to mind offhand...

Lucian Hodoboc

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
That's an interesting question and one I've often thought about. I have no good answer but am eager to see what others think.
Stan Lee didn't believe in an afterlife:

Top Bottom