JOHN 3:16 IS THIS OUR GOSPEL?

Doug

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

This is a glorious verse. From this verse we can learn the love of God. We can learn that it is Christ Jesus who saves us unto eternal life. We can learn that our trust and faith is placed in Jesus.

This verse however, does not convey the cross.

John 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Peter and the apostles preached faith in the name of Jesus for the remission of sins and eternal life (Luke 24:47 Acts 10:43).

Matthew 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

Israel had to believe that Jesus was the Christ, the Son of God for eternal life.

Matthew 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Jesus told his disciples that he must be killed and that he would rise again (Matthew 16:21). Jesus told them that he would shed his blood for the new testament. The new testament was made with Israel (Jeremiah 31:31).

Hebrews 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Jesus suffered the death of the cross to redeem Israel from the sins they committed under the old testament. Peter preached the cross to fulfill the new testament. The death of the testator was necessary to put in force the new testament (Hebrews 9:17).

Paul preached that by the cross, salvation unto eternal life was provided freely to all by the sacrifice of Christ (Romans 3:22-24). Paul preached that Jesus died for our sins.

Paul preached the gospel Jesus revealed to him and which we are to believe:

1 Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

John 3:16 and the preaching of all twelve apostles is the foundation of Paul's gospel and our salvation:

Ephesians 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

Psalm 33:21 For our heart shall rejoice in him, because we have trusted in his holy name.
We also have trusted in the name of Jesus.

Top Bottom