CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      33.79%
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      Catholics and evangelicals self define the split don't they? Evangelicals often say that Catholics are not Christians. It is less common for Catholics to say that evangelicals are not Christians. So the survey is not breaking new ground by separating Evangelicals and Catholics one from the other.
      Flip it MC. Your church has taught that all non-Roman Catholics are going to hell. Most Protestants, including myself, believe that God has chosen a remnant from Rome who believe. Many who are chosen within the Roman Church ultimately leave because they recognize the significant paganism living in the Roman Church.

2. Likes RichWh1 liked this post
      vince284 is offline Rookie Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      21.06%
      Catholics and evangelicals self define the split don't they? Evangelicals often say that Catholics are not Christians. It is less common for Catholics to say that evangelicals are not Christians. So the survey is not breaking new ground by separating Evangelicals and Catholics one from the other.
      I think I know what you are saying, but I think the fundamentalist are what you mean. Some fundamentalist even say that evangelicals are not Christian. Having written that, there are people from all groups that make less of another group. I would think that evangelicals being the larger group would get caught up in any subset group's behavior.

tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (10,259,853 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      42.52%
      Perhaps it is because of the way USA Christianity is so tightly allied to politics now that people think ill of it and prefer "no religion" to Christianity.
      I doubt that, there are people on both sides of the political divide who claim support from their faith that this doesn't really seem relevant. A lot of people refer to "the religious right" but it's not as if there aren't Democrats insisting that Christian values support their stances.

Maybe people are just being honest - it's hard to seriously consider oneself a follower of any religion without partaking in at least some activity associated with that religion. If you're only ever in church at Christmas and Easter (if you even attend that frequently), never read the Bible and never pray (with exceptions offered for the occasional saying of grace for show, or maybe reading 1Co13 at a wedding) you might as well be honest and say you don't have a faith than to claim you follow whatever church denomination happens to be local to you.

I know a few people who often wondered what the Church of England did to deserve a notional membership vastly higher than any attendance figures could support. I never did work out whether they regarded that as an unfair advantage of apparently having lots of followers, or an unfair disadvantage being stuck with all the people who had nothing to do with it but still claimed allegiance.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

Albion is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Friendly

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      11.06%
      Catholics and evangelicals self define the split don't they?
      What I said is that these (and others which were also listed) are Christians, so for the survey to report their numbers separately while lumping all atheists, humanists, agnostics, etc. etc. together as No Religion is to deliberately skew the results and give an inaccurate picture of the situation.

tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (10,259,853 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      42.52%
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
      What I said is that these (and others which were also listed) are Christians, so for the survey to report their numbers separately while lumping all atheists, humanists, agnostics, etc. etc. together as No Religion is to deliberately skew the results and give an inaccurate picture of the situation.
      It does seem a bit like grouping people into "Women", "White men", "Black men", "Asian men", "Oriental men" and "Mixed race men" and then observing that women were by far the largest group.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

7. Likes Albion liked this post