Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Australia will have a federal election in May this year. The Prime minister visited the Governor General to set the date this morning about an hour ago. The PM has a press conference scheduled to happen in the next 30 minutes in which it is expected he will announce the election date - likely to be either 18-May or 25th-May.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The election date is the 18th of May 2019.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I'm rooting for the Dingo Party to beat out the Kangaroo Party. However, the Kuala Party may surprise everyone.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I just hope the Dangerous Bitey Things party doesn't win. There seem to be a lot of dangerous bitey things in Australia.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I just hope the Dangerous Bitey Things party doesn't win. There seem to be a lot of dangerous bitey things in Australia.
The Jelly Party and the Spidey Party are small, but powerful.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
You two could start the silly party

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
https://www.peo.gov.au/learning/fact-sheets/federal-elections.html

Australia is a representative democracy, which means that Australians vote to elect members of parliament to make laws and decisions on their behalf. It is compulsory for Australian citizens 18 years and over to enrol to vote. It is also compulsory to attend a voting place on Election day, or to vote by mail.

At federal elections, Australians choose members of parliament to represent their views and interests, in the House of Representatives and the Senate. In this way, federal Parliament serves Australians and is accountable to them.

Section 28 of the Australian Constitution states that House of Representatives elections must be held at least every three years. The Prime Minister decides the date for an election. This could be at any time during the three-year term.

There are 150 members elected to the House of Representatives—one for each of Australia's 150 electorates. An average of 150 000 citizens live in each electorate, with an average of 100 000 voters.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You two could start the silly party

Do you dispute my assertion that lots of dangerous bitey things live in Australia? I wouldn't want them to win an election, or laws might be passed allowing them to bite more things more often.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Do you dispute my assertion that lots of dangerous bitey things live in Australia? I wouldn't want them to win an election, or laws might be passed allowing them to bite more things more often.

Yes I do dispute it; there are in fact many species of dangerous things in Australia but not many individuals of those species when compared with the number of individuals of dangerous species in places like the USA.

Of course it is silly to talk about such creatures running for election to the Australian Federal Parliament. And this topic is intended as news not comedy.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes I do dispute it; there are in fact many species of dangerous things in Australia but not many individuals of those species when compared with the number of individuals of dangerous species in places like the USA.

There are lots of dangerous bitey spiders and octopi and snakes and crocodiles and other things with Big Bitey Teeth. It only takes one taipan to really ruin your whole day.

Of course it is silly to talk about such creatures running for election to the Australian Federal Parliament. And this topic is intended as news not comedy.

True, although given the quality of candidates offered by many major political parties I sometimes wonder whether a crocodile would do a better job.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
There are lots of dangerous bitey spiders and octopi and snakes and crocodiles and other things with Big Bitey Teeth. It only takes one taipan to really ruin your whole day.

True, although given the quality of candidates offered by many major political parties I sometimes wonder whether a crocodile would do a better job.
They would definitely take a bite out of all it came across, hmm might reduce those running for office

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Mercifully Australian election campaigns last a few weeks out of every three years rather than being continuous as appears to be the case in the USA where there's a federal election every 2 years on fixed dates with "primaries" every 4 years (the primaries seem to last about a year) followed by a presidential, congressional, partial senate, and numerous state elections seems to have campaigns that lasts about a year. So out of every 4 years it looks like 3 are election campaign years and one, the year immediately after the presidential election, is about the only campaign free year out of the 4.

Anyway, it is the night of day 2 of the Australian federal election campaign.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The US electoral cycle is a bit tedious, given that it seems three years in every four contain electioneering and the fourth contains the complaints that the election yielded the wrong result.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The US electoral cycle is a bit tedious, given that it seems three years in every four contain electioneering and the fourth contains the complaints that the election yielded the wrong result.

You guys ought to change to a parliamentary system with elections every 4 or 5 years and a PM but no president with executive power and all the ministers responsible for executive government being drawn from the lower house of the parliament so you can vent your spleen about how badly they did their job at the next election by voting them out! It is a better system, makes people more appreciative of their vote. You ought also to make voting compulsory just like jury duty.

:smirk:

You can keep a president but make the office decorative rather than powerful. Something like the Irish presidency.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I voted early in the Australian Federal election so now I can relax and not bother listening to the political rants from the three major parties.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I respect the democracy and people of Australia. So, I will respect their process and whatever the results are of it. It would be rude and disrespectful otherwise since I'm not a resident or citizen of Australia. Now, if we were speaking of North Korea, we might have a different situation but we're not.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I respect the democracy and people of Australia. So, I will respect their process and whatever the results are of it. It would be rude and disrespectful otherwise since I'm not a resident or citizen of Australia. Now, if we were speaking of North Korea, we might have a different situation but we're not.

Don't be shy Josiah, you've posted many times about what you incorrectly imagine to be the workings of Democracy.

Don't pretend to have respect now after demonstrating the lack of it so many times before.

Besides, as long as your posts are as erroneous as they are they serve only to highlight the distorting power of ignorance.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I voted early in the Australian Federal election so now I can relax and not bother listening to the political rants from the three major parties.

White Racism will prevail, no matter which one of them wins...so, sure. There isn't much reason to fret about it.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
MoreCoffee,

As for me, I cannot respect the constant rant you post, the constant rebuke of the USA, our Constitution, our president. While suggesting everyone should respect YOUR country, polities, leaders. I imagine that you will soon enough reflect on it and regret it, although it hasn't happened in over two YEARS.

There is almost a cult of Trump HATERS (it IS intensely personal and irrational and hypocritical and it IS hate), and I realize the international press at times has spread this abroad. There is some entrenched "anti-Americanism" out there and it tends to be especially aimed any ANYONE who is a Republican, who is NOT a "we need to be more European in all ways, we need to condemn the USA" in their philosophy, and this has been attached to this cult of hate toward Donald Trump. I don't like much about his politics and ways (I didn't vote for him) but I confess, I don't understand this intense, irrational, personal HATRED liberals and some foreigners have for him.

It is obvious you know little to nothing about the Constitution of the USA or the Rule of Law here or how things work here with elections, and that's okay, none of it applies to you, you are not a resident or citizen of the USA. But it makes your very rude rant even more offensive and inappropriate. Bashing the USA is good and right, you insist.... but you expect (and get) respect from us for your country. Some might expect you'll reflect on that and regret your rude, ignorant flaming but there's no indication of that.

I "get" the point of your constant, perpetual RANT.... your flames of the USA....BUT FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, alright already! You come to a community of mostly Americans and BASH, BASH, BASH, BASH - over and over and over - for two years!!! OMG. Enough already! This has gotten profoundly disrespectful and rude. Coming from someone who is NOT a resident or citizen here at has documented he has no clue as to how our government works, what our Constitution says and zero respect. It's RUDE. I realize you think you get a pass on everything (no matter how rude, how flaming) if you post that smirky emogy.... NO, you do not. Not when it goes on and on and on and on and on, for years, so disrespectful, so rude.

Everyone here is respectful of your country, its government, its political processes and its leaders and people. How about returning it..... and stopping the RUDE, ignorant, flaming (and thinking if you put up that smerky thing, you are excused).

Top Bottom