Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
No
Is it even possible - without scripture, to counter the arguments of what seems like "perverted science"?

http://christianityhaven.com/showthread.php?4505-Math-White-Privilege&p=162902#post162902

There is a disturbing trend among scientists to focus on IQ. However, due to the effect of World War II - eugenics, IQ stuff is shunned. However, though, just because something is taboo - doesn't make it right. O.K. they've stated these rebellious opinions, but let's take another look at the opposing ones again - without just saying "The rebellious ones are not nice opinions.".

However, though, without God in the picture - there isn't much case for "kind science". Genetics seems to be a strong foundation of what people are.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBvIweCIgwk

This FUNNY spin on "eugenics" is founded on the VERY un-PC premise that dumb people have lots of kids while smart people have few. Fast forward 500 years.... and
This is a funny movie but sadly it's not too far off from reality and it's even a bit prophetic... considering the tattoos everyone must get as they lack understanding and feed the beast system. Politics and court proceedings become entertainment, police are comfortably abusive, clothing is advertisement, stadiums return to live death games..
There's a lot of bad language and sexual jokes due to the dumbing down so it's not very Christian family.

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
Well, jokes aside, if IQ is important, what good is Original Sin? Well, the Nazi movement (sorry to bring up that cliche word) tried to play God.

This is a funny movie but sadly it's not too far off from reality and it's even a bit prophetic... considering the tattoos everyone must get as they lack understanding and feed the beast system. Politics and court proceedings become entertainment, police are comfortably abusive, clothing is advertisement, stadiums return to live death games..
There's a lot of bad language and sexual jokes due to the dumbing down so it's not very Christian family.

I wouldn't discount a lot of those people as dumb. I mean, I know - the countless Facebook memes about stoning child molesters, legalizing dope, people shouldn't be judged by tattoos, everyone's a snowflake. However, though, I think a lot of these people are simply vulgar, aggressive types. Anyway, though, looking at the other end, what have the intelligent (stereotype) accomplished? Many cannot get jobs with degrees - and so are rightfully mocked as impotent.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well, jokes aside, if IQ is important, what good is Original Sin? Well, the Nazi movement (sorry to bring up that cliche word) tried to play God.

I wouldn't discount a lot of those people as dumb. I mean, I know - the countless Facebook memes about stoning child molesters, legalizing dope, people shouldn't be judged by tattoos, everyone's a snowflake. However, though, I think a lot of these people are simply vulgar, aggressive types. Anyway, though, looking at the other end, what have the intelligent (stereotype) accomplished? Many cannot get jobs with degrees - and so are rightfully mocked as impotent.

The trouble with degrees is that when more and more people get the same qualification it becomes devalued, and there are only so many jobs out there that require a degree. So people hit the problem that they want a degree to open doors for some of the more desirable jobs, which at a stroke makes them overqualified for the kind of stop-gap job they might take while they look for what they really want to do.

Before the days of Facebook there was a time in the UK where impromptu mobs wanted to drive out pedophiles from their midst. Sadly the mob isn't known for its intelligence, and in due course they identified an undesirable person and forced them out of their home. The news showed their home sprayed with graffiti saying things like "Paedo" (in the UK we spell it paedo- rather pedo-). The trouble was the person wasn't a child molester, they were a pediatrician. Of course the mob didn't know the difference.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The trouble with degrees is that when more and more people get the same qualification it becomes devalued, and there are only so many jobs out there that require a degree. So people hit the problem that they want a degree to open doors for some of the more desirable jobs, which at a stroke makes them overqualified for the kind of stop-gap job they might take while they look for what they really want to do.

Is worth measured ONLY by money? Is something of no value if it does not result in more money? What say then about Christianity? About love?

The reality that in many countries, nearly EVERYONE is literate does not devalue the worth of being literate. IMO, it may make it MORE valuable.

But back to the issue before us...

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Is worth measured ONLY by money? Is something of no value if it does not result in more money? What say then about Christianity? About love?

The reality that in many countries, nearly EVERYONE is literate does not devalue the worth of being literate. IMO, it may make it MORE valuable.

But back to the issue before us...

I was writing in the context of the comment about people with degrees still not being able to get jobs. From the perspective of employers wanting to know who is the best educated (or associated concepts like who is the most able to study at a high level) it used to be that a degree indicated you were in the top 10% or so, whereas now it indicates you're probably more or less average or better. So in that regard it is devalued as a tool for setting the holder apart from the masses.

As you say there is merit in learning for the sake of learning although, personally speaking, if I'm learning because I want to know more about a topic I don't really care if I get a piece of paper at the end of the process that says I know about whatever the topic was.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I was writing in the context of the comment about people with degrees still not being able to get jobs. From the perspective of employers wanting to know who is the best educated (or associated concepts like who is the most able to study at a high level) it used to be that a degree indicated you were in the top 10% or so, whereas now it indicates you're probably more or less average or better. So in that regard it is devalued as a tool for setting the holder apart from the masses.

As you say there is merit in learning for the sake of learning although, personally speaking, if I'm learning because I want to know more about a topic I don't really care if I get a piece of paper at the end of the process that says I know about whatever the topic was.

I hold that the EDUCATION has value and worth.....

I agree simply having a piece of paper PER SE does not. And I agree that the PIECE OF PAPER does not (sadly) necessarily mean education happened (at least to any significant degree); we probably all know folks with a college degree that are pretty ignorant; at some colleges, it's amazingly easy to coast through the whole process and not necessarily gain much; a degree CAN mean little more than this guy jumped through all the required hoops. Few American colleges require extensive exams to graduate with a Bachelors (all do for graduate degrees)

However, theoretically anyway, that piece of paper IS meant to communicate that in the view of the school, this student has achieved the level of education suggested by that degree. The "standard" is admittedly largely subjective and a matter for each college (and it DOES vary quite a bit). Some students however don't really have that education. Now, for the Ph.D., it IS largely an assurance. To get the degree, one must DOCUMENT their ability to do sound research and they must pass extensive written and oral examinations. At least if from an accredited school, that piece of paper DOES insure something. It doesn't mean they are smart (they may be quite average in IQ) or educated in OTHER areas (doctorates are profoundly narrow) but it DOES mean they know this subject, they can do good research (even if they don't) and generally have effective communicative skills. IMO, it also implies they can stick to something with dedication and commitment and can work hard at something; it even can imply this person can work effectively with others in a "team" approach since nearly all academic research is done via teams.

I got my first job not primarily because my Ph.D. is in physics and the "factoids" I therefore had (although they wanted such in the company) but rather because they wanted someone with strong research skills and a very collaborative approach; one with skills at evaluating scientific issues and with good communication skills. The skills I had to gain to get the degree is what they valued far more than the facts I had at hand. Much of that can be of value outside the scientific community, too. Education tends to have worth. Although I fully agree, not always in terms of income.

Friend, I don't think we are really saying anything different, lol. Perhaps I'm just attempting to underline a value that I think is sadly in decline in the USA, and perhaps I'm sensitive to an ever-increasing view that something has worth only in terms of materialism.

While I'm hijacking the thread, I might as well add (because it's important!) that education doesn't only happen in schools! My father served in the military during the Vietnam war and while he pretty much disliked those years, he OFTEN speaks of the very important, life-changing, things he learned during those 4 years in that milieu. I think too of the years I spent as a youth in sports and in theatre.... I learned there, too.

Blessings on your Holy Week...

- Josiah

Last edited:
Top Bottom