MATTHEW 25:30 THE UNPROFITABLE SERVANT

Doug

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 25:14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.

25:15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.

25:19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.

25:30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

The Lord Jesus Christ is describing the kingdom of heaven. The promised Davidic kingdom on earth promised to the Israel of God, the little flock. Revelation 5:10 Luke 12:32

It is only the righteous Jew that will enter the kingdom of heaven. It is only the profitable Jew who will enter. The unprofitable Jew will not enter the kingdom, but will be cast into outer darkness: outer darkness is not hell.

The outer darkness is often mistaken for hell. Outer darkness is described as weeping; in the verse below hell is described as wailing.

Matthew 13:42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Jew without faith and obedience to Jesus will be cast out. It is the same place as hell. Jesus says he will assign the disobedient with the unbelievers.

Luke 12:46 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the unbelievers.

Doug

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
The Jew without faith and obedience to Jesus will be cast out. It is the same place as hell. Jesus says he will assign the disobedient with the unbelievers.

Luke 12:46 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the unbelievers.

Hi

Those in unbelief can also be among the saved. Look at the verse below, where the brethren are being spoken to.

Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. Hebrews 3:12

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi

Those in unbelief can also be among the saved. Look at the verse below, where the brethren are being spoken to.

Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. Hebrews 3:12

That scripture is a warning not to lose salvation.

Doug

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
That scripture is a warning not to lose salvation.

Hi

If you have believed the gospel and trusted Christ to have died for your sins you can not lose your salvation.

Romans 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

This is the gospel by which we are saved.

15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
1 Corinthians 15

We are all sinners who can not save ourselves.
See Romans 3:23 Titus 3:5 Romans 5:6

Christ died for our sins; He was our substitute, He paid the full penalty and debt for our sin by his blood sacrifice.
See 2 Corinthians 5:21 Romans 3:24 Romans 3:25 Romans 3:26

He was buried.

He rose again for our justification ( to declare us righteous) and forgiveness of all our sin. He gives us His righteousness and eternal life.
See Romans 4:25 Ephesians 1:7 Romans 4:22 Romans 4:23 Romans 4:24 1 Corinthians 1:30

All we have to do is believe the gospel.
See Romans 4:5 1 Corinthians 1:21 Ephesians 1:13

Believing is being persuaded that something is true.
See Romans 4:21

The moment you believe you have eternal life.
Titus 1:1 Titus 1:2 Titus 3:7

Trust the gospel of your salvation. Place your faith in Jesus Christ, in his blood, his death and his resurrection.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi

If you have believed the gospel and trusted Christ to have died for your sins you can not lose your salvation.

Romans 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

This is the gospel by which we are saved.

15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
1 Corinthians 15

We are all sinners who can not save ourselves.
See Romans 3:23 Titus 3:5 Romans 5:6

Christ died for our sins; He was our substitute, He paid the full penalty and debt for our sin by his blood sacrifice.
See 2 Corinthians 5:21 Romans 3:24 Romans 3:25 Romans 3:26

He was buried.

He rose again for our justification ( to declare us righteous) and forgiveness of all our sin. He gives us His righteousness and eternal life.
See Romans 4:25 Ephesians 1:7 Romans 4:22 Romans 4:23 Romans 4:24 1 Corinthians 1:30

All we have to do is believe the gospel.
See Romans 4:5 1 Corinthians 1:21 Ephesians 1:13

Believing is being persuaded that something is true.
See Romans 4:21

The moment you believe you have eternal life.
Titus 1:1 Titus 1:2 Titus 3:7

Trust the gospel of your salvation. Place your faith in Jesus Christ, in his blood, his death and his resurrection.

Jesus warns us for a reason.

People can fall away from Jesus see Galatians 5:4; 1 Corinthians 10:12; 2 Peter 3:17. We are warned not to drift away, Hebrews 2:1, not to draw back, Hebrews 10:38; to hold on and stand firm, Hebrews 3:14, 1 Corinthians 15:2, 2 Thessalonians 2:15. We are told how not to fall, 2 Peter 1:10, how not to be hardened, Hebrews 3:8,13.

God can throw people out, Matthew 22:13, blot people out, Exodus 32:32-33, remove your lampstand, Revelation 2:5, sign you a place with unbelievers, Luke 12:46, and cut you off, Romans 11:19-21. We can become defiled, Hebrews 12:15. Our lamps can burn out, Matthew 25:8. We can cause ourselves to have to have Christ formed in us again, Galatians 4:19.

We are told how to remain in Jesus, John 6:56, and if we do Jesus will remain in us, John 15:4. Jesus tells us of the good if we remain in him, John 15:5, and of the bad when we do not, John 15:6. Jesus exhorts us to remain in him, John 15:9, 10, Acts 14:22, and 1 John 2:24.

Doug

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Jesus warns us for a reason.

People can fall away from Jesus see Galatians 5:4; 1 Corinthians 10:12; 2 Peter 3:17. We are warned not to drift away, Hebrews 2:1, not to draw back, Hebrews 10:38; to hold on and stand firm, Hebrews 3:14, 1 Corinthians 15:2, 2 Thessalonians 2:15. We are told how not to fall, 2 Peter 1:10, how not to be hardened, Hebrews 3:8,13.

God can throw people out, Matthew 22:13, blot people out, Exodus 32:32-33, remove your lampstand, Revelation 2:5, sign you a place with unbelievers, Luke 12:46, and cut you off, Romans 11:19-21. We can become defiled, Hebrews 12:15. Our lamps can burn out, Matthew 25:8. We can cause ourselves to have to have Christ formed in us again, Galatians 4:19.

We are told how to remain in Jesus, John 6:56, and if we do Jesus will remain in us, John 15:4. Jesus tells us of the good if we remain in him, John 15:5, and of the bad when we do not, John 15:6. Jesus exhorts us to remain in him, John 15:9, 10, Acts 14:22, and 1 John 2:24.

Hello

I will tackle just a few verses;

Galatians 5:4 Paul is saying we can't be justified by the law after we are saved. Justified here is not to eternal life but walking in the sight of God blameless. Fallen from grace means not relying on the Spirit and the provision of grace but on the law for sanctification.

Hebrews 3:14 Hebrews is written to Israel. Hebrews exhorts them to hold fast to Jesus, their High Priest and exhorts them not to fall back to the Levitical priesthood. They have a Better covenant. They were exhorted not to fall into unbelief but receive the promises.

Matthew 22:13 This is for Israel and is speaking of not entering the kingdom on earth. The wedding guest was thrown into outer darkness with the unbelievers and hypocrites and did not enter the kingdom. This is not hell.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello

I will tackle just a few verses;

Galatians 5:4 Paul is saying we can't be justified by the law after we are saved. Justified here is not to eternal life but walking in the sight of God blameless. Fallen from grace means not relying on the Spirit and the provision of grace but on the law for sanctification.
Hello Doug;

Justification is about being saved, it is about having faith that Jesus' blood cleans you and not the works of the law like circumcision and the sacrifice of animals.

Paul has to form Christ in them again.

Galatians 4:19 My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you,

Hebrews 3:14 Hebrews is written to Israel. Hebrews exhorts them to hold fast to Jesus, their High Priest and exhorts them not to fall back to the Levitical priesthood. They have a Better covenant. They were exhorted not to fall into unbelief but receive the promises.
Right, it is a warning. If they go back to thinking the purification works of the law cleans them, then they have fallen from grace that faith in Jesus' blood cleaning them is what cleans them.
Matthew 22:13 This is for Israel and is speaking of not entering the kingdom on earth. The wedding guest was thrown into outer darkness with the unbelievers and hypocrites and did not enter the kingdom. This is not hell.

There were Jews who were cut off and assigned a place with the unbelievers.

Paul warns the Gentiles that it can happen to them too:

Romans 11:21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.

Doug

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Hello Doug;

Justification is about being saved, it is about having faith that Jesus' blood cleans you and not the works of the law like circumcision and the sacrifice of animals.

Paul has to form Christ in them again.

Galatians 4:19 My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you,

Right, it is a warning. If they go back to thinking the purification works of the law cleans them, then they have fallen from grace that faith in Jesus' blood cleaning them is what cleans them.

There were Jews who were cut off and assigned a place with the unbelievers.

Paul warns the Gentiles that it can happen to them too:

Romans 11:21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.

Hello

I like your response.

Just a point for you to consider.

In Romans 11 Paul is speaking about Israel.

I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. verse 1

Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. verse 5

What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded verse 7

The election is the believing remnant of Israel.

For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office: verse 13

Here Paul is speaking to Gentiles.

And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree; verse 17

Here he is speaking of the remnant of Israel again. Israel is referred to as an olive tree, not Gentiles.

For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. verse 21

The natural branches is the nation of Israel.

Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. verse 22

The election of grace, the believing Israel remnant would also be cut off. They would not get their inheritance in the kingdom.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello

I like your response.
Thank you.
Just a point for you to consider.

In Romans 11 Paul is speaking about Israel.

I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. verse 1

Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. verse 5

What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded verse 7

The election is the believing remnant of Israel.
Paul is telling the Romans that God did not cut off all the Jews. Paul says that there is a remnant saved.
He is also letting the Romans know that even though God cut off and hardened many Jews, they are not cut off forever.
It must have seemed like God cut off all the Jews forever, but Paul is letting the Romans know that God did not cut off a whole race of people forever, especially not the people God foreknew.

For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office: verse 13

Here Paul is speaking to Gentiles.

And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree; verse 17

Here he is speaking of the remnant of Israel again.
No, he is speaking about the Jews who were cut off. Paul is telling the Gentiles that even the Jews who were cut off when Jesus came---even the cut off Jews could now be saved too.

Look at what Peter says the Jews who wanted Jesus crucified:

Acts 2:36“Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah.”

37When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”

38Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”

Peter is letting the Jews know that they could be grafted back in.
Israel is referred to as an olive tree, not Gentiles.
Well, look a little closer...

The Jews are called the CULTIVATED olive tree, and the Gentiles are called the WILD olive tree.
Both are called olive trees.

For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. verse 21

The natural branches is the nation of Israel.

Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. verse 22
Paul is telling the Gentiles that they can get cut off too like some of the Jews did.

The election of grace, the believing Israel remnant would also be cut off.
Well that is not what Paul is saying right there, but true enough, even a believer, whether a believing Jew or a believing Gentiles can get cut off.

They would not get their inheritance in the kingdom.

That goes for everyone.

Last edited:

Doug

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Thank you.

Paul is telling the Romans that God did not cut off all the Jews. Paul says that there is a remnant saved.
He is also letting the Romans know that even though God cut off and hardened many Jews, they are not cut off forever.
It must have seemed like God cut off all the Jews forever, but Paul is letting the Romans know that God did not cut off a whole race of people forever, especially not the people God foreknew.

No, he is speaking about the Jews who were cut off. Paul is telling the Gentiles that even the Jews who were cut off when Jesus came---even the cut off Jews could now be saved too.

Look at what Peter says the Jews who wanted Jesus crucified:

Acts 2:36“Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah.”

37When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”

38Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”

Peter is letting the Jews know that they could be grafted back in.

Well, look a little closer...

The Jews are called the CULTIVATED olive tree, and the Gentiles are called the WILD olive tree.
Both are called olive trees.

Paul is telling the Gentiles that they can get cut off too like some of the Jews did.

Well that is not what Paul is saying right there, but true enough, even a believer, whether a believing Jew or a believing Gentiles can get cut off.

That goes for everyone.

Hi

I am not being dogmatic in saying the wild olive tree is the believing remnant, you may be right in saying it is Gentiles. Paul was writing about Israel in chapters 9 through 11 and was addressing the Gentiles being saved to provoke unbelieving Israel to jealousy and salvation. Paul was speaking to saints, both Jew and Gentile.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi

I am not being dogmatic in saying the wild olive tree is the believing remnant, you may be right in saying it is Gentiles. Paul was writing about Israel in chapters 9 through 11 and was addressing the Gentiles being saved to provoke unbelieving Israel to jealousy and salvation. Paul was speaking to saints, both Jew and Gentile.

Paul was saying to the Gentiles believers that they could be cut off too.

Doug

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Paul was saying to the Gentiles believers that they could be cut off too.

Hi

Saying that Gentiles, in the body of Christ, can be cut off, is one of the problems I have in applying the wild olive tree to being Gentiles. I will have to delve deeper into this.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi

Saying that Gentiles, in the body of Christ, can be cut off, is one of the problems I have in applying the wild olive tree to being Gentiles. I will have to delve deeper into this.

I understand how hard it can be to believe something for so long and then perhaps having to give it up. Jesus says to consider carefully and with the measure you use it will be given to you and more.

I want to say one more thing about it for now:

The Ingrafting of the Gentiles

Romans 11:11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy. 12 Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness? 13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office: 14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them. 15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?

(We see from those scriptures that it is about the unbelieving Jews being cut off, but also being grafted back in if they stop disbelieving.)

16 For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.

17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;

(We see from those scriptures that the Gentiles are called a wild olive tree and were grafted in with the cultivated olive tree. We know that God is not speaking of putting shoots from another completely different species of trees.)

18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee. 19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in. 20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear: 21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

(So we see from what Paul says there that the Gentiles are not to boast about God breaking off branches to put them in, because God cut break them off too.)

22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. 23And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again. 24F or if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?

Doug

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I understand how hard it can be to believe something for so long and then perhaps having to give it up. Jesus says to consider carefully and with the measure you use it will be given to you and more.

I want to say one more thing about it for now:

The Ingrafting of the Gentiles[

Romans 11:11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy. 12 Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness? 13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office: 14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them. 15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?

(We see from those scriptures that it is about the unbelieving Jews being cut off, but also being grafted back in if they stop disbelieving.)

16 For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.

17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;

(We see from those scriptures that the Gentiles are called a wild olive tree and were grafted in with the cultivated olive tree. We know that God is not speaking of putting shoots from another completely different species of trees.)

18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee. 19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in. 20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear: 21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

(So we see from what Paul says there that the Gentiles are not to boast about God breaking off branches to put them in, because God cut break them off too.)

22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. 23And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again. 24F or if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?

Hi

I will get back to you on this

Thanks

Doug

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there

"right on" how old are you...right on haha... I like it!!!!....I am 68 so I can relate to that... that's better than "here comes the judge" haha
I studied Romans 11 out in regard to the wild olive tree etc.
Here is my post for you

http://christianityhaven.com/showthread.php?6840-ROMANS-11-WHO-IS-THE-WILD-OLIVE-TREE

Let me know what you think

hahahahaaaa I didn't think about it being a slang from the hippie generation. I'm not quite old enough for that. Help me out here, what could have I said instead of 'right on'? I guess 'sounds good' would have sounded good. I'm just not cool for any generation. lol

I'll go check out the post you made me.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
hahahahaaaa I didn't think about it being a slang from the hippie generation. I'm not quite old enough for that. Help me out here, what could have I said instead of 'right on'? I guess 'sounds good' would have sounded good. I'm just not cool for any generation. lol

"Word" :)

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married

Groovy baby...[emoji848][emoji3257]

Top Bottom