• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Denomination & Faith Movement Discussions - Thread: comparing 7 different denominations

Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      80.59%
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      This article online compares some seven different denominations. I was looking at it because I was considering visits a different denomination next Sunday. Do you think this brief list is accurate? What other key differences are there?

https://www.dummies.com/religion/chr...istian-church/

IMO, it's very much over-simplified. And the "heart" and "passion" of each is entirely ignored. These are meant to be uber-short, overly-simple summeries (and such is always going to have serious flaws).

Frankly, it might make for some good and helpful threads here at CH. If you could ask members of each specific faith community to convey what they think is special and distinctive of that community.

I'm not TOO sure that the best approach is to see "who most agrees with ME?" But there are surveys that help do just that. Here's one: http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/sele...christiandenom

We are justified by works - just not our own.

jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      61.07%
      Quote Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
      IMO, it's very much over-simplified. And the "heart" and "passion" of each is entirely ignored. These are meant to be uber-short, overly-simple summeries (and such is always going to have serious flaws).

Frankly, it might make for some good and helpful threads here at CH. If you could ask members of each specific faith community to convey what they think is special and distinctive of that community.

I'm not TOO sure that the best approach is to see "who most agrees with ME?" But there are surveys that help do just that. Here's one: http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/sele...christiandenom

I have used that questionnaire before. It doesn't take it account what churches or denominations may be nearby where you live and possible for you to attend

FredVB is offline Rookie Member
      Single
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      37.02%
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
      A church that thinks being a vegan is a Biblical principle to be observed? The closest to what you may be seeking is probably the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

It was co-founded in the 19th century by a young person considered to be a prophet, but since the church is not run by so-called prophets on an ongoing basis such as the Mormons do, this (sda) could still be the one for you.
      No. Neither the Seventh Day Adventist church nor I say veganism is a biblical principle to be observed. Though you would respond that it is to the contrary, with verses that there are, which you could, there is basis for veganism in verses of the Bible. I could then still respond refuting that argument. But it would go astray from what is discussed here. I visited a Seventh Day Adventist church, but I did not agree with what I saw is taught, it did not feel right, and there were none there practicing any veganism according to what I was told. And they do go by what that founding "prophet" has written, when I want to be with a church where the Bible is used without anything else given equal attention.

Though other verses may be used to argue this, and I see some saying I twist scriptures, yet I don't but just show some of many verses showing this, without contradicting any context, there is this theme in the scriptures.

God said, "I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed, to you it shall be for food." Yahweh God said "It is not good that man should live alone." Out of the ground Yahweh God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. Then Yahweh saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. So Yahweh said, "I will destroy man who I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air." But Noah found grace in the eyes of Yahweh. Then God spoke to Noah, saying, "Go out of the ark, you, your wife, your sons and their wives. Bring out with you every living thing of all flesh that is with you, that they may abound on the earth, and be fruitful and multiply on the earth." Then Noah built an altar to Yahweh, and offered burnt offerings. God blessed Noah and his sons, and said, "The fear of you and the dread of you shall be on every beast of the earth, on every bird of the air, on all that move on the earth, and all the fish of the sea. Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you, I have given you all things, even as the green herbs. But you shall not eat flesh with its blood. For your lifeblood I will require a reckoning." It pleased the apostles and elders with the whole church, to send chosen men of their company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas. They wrote this letter: "It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things, that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from what was strangled, and from sexual immorality. Keep yourselves from these, you will do well." The earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it in hope, because the creation itself will also be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. For the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. "The wolf shall dwell with the lamb, the leopard shall lie down with the young goat, the calf and the young lion and the fatling together, and a little child shall lead them. The cow and the bear shall graze, their young ones shall lie down together, and the lion shall eat straw like the ox. The nursing child shall play by the cobra's hole, and the weaned child shall put his hand in the viper's den. They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain, for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of Yahweh, as the waters cover the sea." "God will wipe away every tear, there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."
      Last edited by FredVB; 04-13-2019 at 02:33 PM.

FredVB is offline Rookie Member
      Single
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      37.02%
      Quote Originally Posted by FredVB View Post
      A church that thinks being a vegan is a Biblical principle to be observed?
      No. Neither the Seventh Day Adventist church nor I say veganism is a biblical principle to be observed. Though you would respond that it is to the contrary, with verses that there are, which you could, there is basis for veganism in verses of the Bible.
      I think I should still clarify this, I mean I don't claim veganism is essential in being saved, as it is that becoming Jewish is not essential in being saved. Not using animal products was neglected soon in Christianity after the first believers, and then through Christian history, because having it as a requirement would be bad with keeping many people from responding in faith. No believers really start off with living righteously with no more sinning. There is development needed to turn from sin and live more righteously, and there is ongoing growth to turn from more wrong ways as we learn more of Yahweh God's will for us. I yet mean the perfect will of God for us is shown in scriptures including what was in the original design for us. This theme of not using animals continuously is shown in many places running through scriptures. Though God permitted meat from animals in an extreme situation, that in which little edible vegetation would be available, it was with dealing with murder in the same context, the dread of humanity starting (this is a curse, not a blessing), and with requirements including not abusing animals and not using meat with any blood having remained in it, which are not observed by hardly any now claiming they have that permission. That it is demonstrably healthier to eat just whole plant-based food is consistent with not still using animals being in God's perfect will for us, so there is this basis.

MoreCoffee is offline Gold Member
      Aware, awake, and moving.

Mood:
      Secret

Country
      Australia
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (26,472 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      60.28%
      Quote Originally Posted by FredVB View Post
      I think I should still clarify this, I mean I don't claim veganism is essential in being saved, as it is that becoming Jewish is not essential in being saved. Not using animal products was neglected soon in Christianity after the first believers, and then through Christian history, because having it as a requirement would be bad with keeping many people from responding in faith. No believers really start off with living righteously with no more sinning. There is development needed to turn from sin and live more righteously, and there is ongoing growth to turn from more wrong ways as we learn more of Yahweh God's will for us. I yet mean the perfect will of God for us is shown in scriptures including what was in the original design for us. This theme of not using animals continuously is shown in many places running through scriptures. Though God permitted meat from animals in an extreme situation, that in which little edible vegetation would be available, it was with dealing with murder in the same context, the dread of humanity starting (this is a curse, not a blessing), and with requirements including not abusing animals and not using meat with any blood having remained in it, which are not observed by hardly any now claiming they have that permission. That it is demonstrably healthier to eat just whole plant-based food is consistent with not still using animals being in God's perfect will for us, so there is this basis.
      Jesus ate fish, lamb, and probably beef when it was available.
      Saint Jude, author of the new testament letter.

He is the patron of impossible causes because the scriptural Letter of St. Jude, which he authored, urges Christians to persevere in difficult times.

Hidden Content