Bullying - A Necessary Evil? Part of natural selection?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
As I said I had friends

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
As I said I had friends

You did, as you said you'd have preferred to be ignored than tortured. The person who has no friends because they have been ostracized by the entire class doesn't have the friend to fall back on. For good measure the clever bully in situation like that can potentially plant fake friends so the person thinks they have someone who they can lean on, only to find themselves betrayed by someone they thought they could trust.

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
You did, as you said you'd have preferred to be ignored than tortured. The person who has no friends because they have been ostracized by the entire class doesn't have the friend to fall back on. For good measure the clever bully in situation like that can potentially plant fake friends so the person thinks they have someone who they can lean on, only to find themselves betrayed by someone they thought they could trust.

Jesus lacked a lot of friends. Noah had NO FRIENDS. It seems to be the price of the truth.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Jesus lacked a lot of friends. Noah had NO FRIENDS. It seems to be the price of the truth.

It can be, it can also be the result of bullies. You can't necessarily draw a principle from a small number of data points.

FredVB

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
1. "Having balls" doesn't necessarily mean fighting back; it may mean confidence and self-esteem so that such has little impact. I think often bullys look for the one who will be most impacted by it.

2. I mean this too as simply the alternative to running to mommie (or the teacher or whoever plays this role for them). It seems to ME, this only makes the kid seem more vulnerable, more weak, and more obvious a target. Bully's SOMETIMES are actually people of low esteem who hope to pick themselves up by putting others down... but they need an easy target who even they an succeed in destroying.

But I realize and appreciate, some bully's are not to be limited. I think we need to better parent both them AND their targets. It's not all one-sided.

Saying to any "Man up" is never the right thing, there is an attitude problem of those who say that with the assumptions they make, it is not what is called for to deal with bullies, and victims of bullies are not at fault. Bullying is never justified to have in any occasion. We are told, blessed are the meek. Biblically the word meek does not at all mean weak, it is not being aggressive that is godly.

There is no pain or suffering or death in heaven, and there were none of these things in Eden until humans corrupted God's peaceful creation. We need to focus more on God’s intent and conform to it, and at no time be conforming to the corrupt and evil ways of this world that harms many, but should speak up against such, and stand up for that.

FredVB

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

There are no ethical rules children have that they stick to. It should not be left to them instead of there being responsible adult supervision.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We will raise our son to know his worth/value comes not from cosmology or biology or what others think (peer esteem) or how he feels about himself (self-esteem) but rather from GOD. GOD values him! Proof? Look to the Cross! He died for ALL of us! THAT'S why we matter, THAT'S why we have value/worth, it comes from GOD (and God proved that love)l Bullies get their power from those who get their identity from OTHERS - a very wrong perspective.

FredVB

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Bullies that are not dealt with effectively become individuals who still will assault others. There certainly are such. I was assaulted not long ago myself, in the daylight not provoking anyone, just crossing the street at an intersection while carrying a bag of what I had just bought, and this one of such individuals as I passed just pushed me down right into street, that I lost the grip of the bag and the bottle with liquid in it broke and spilled all out.

Fritz Kobus

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
As one who was bullied all through school I can tell you that it has had a profound and negative impact on my life. I have no time for bullies and hope every one of them gets what is coming to them
The mass education faculties typical of government schools are very much like day prisons and the prison atmosphere (lord of the flies) develops in them. It would be better in so many ways if all did homeschooling. Churches can help in that there are many people who are able to teach children in smaller, less formal groups. Call it a homeschool co-op. The parent is the main educator, aided by the co-op gatherings. Then bullying is not in the picture and if it crops up, can be quickly dealt with.

Top Bottom