Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
This is somewhat morbid but actually sometimes needs to be discussed with your family. Do you have your funeral songs picked out?

Every organist I've run into has told their families the songs they want at their funerals! That always got me thinking that I have no idea what songs I would want. I know I don't want songs that would make my family cry more but I do want songs that speak of Jesus and His forgiveness.

Mozzie

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I don't, it is not something i have thought about. Mine i think i would want to be low keyed, no songs, just let be done quietly and that would be it.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't, it is not something i have thought about. Mine i think i would want to be low keyed, no songs, just let be done quietly and that would be it.

Would you have a church service as part of your funeral?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Amazing Grace for sure

Mozzie

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Would you have a church service as part of your funeral?
I don't go to church and not affiliated with any church, so no i wouldn't want one..

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
This is somewhat morbid but actually sometimes needs to be discussed with your family. Do you have your funeral songs picked out?

Every organist I've run into has told their families the songs they want at their funerals! That always got me thinking that I have no idea what songs I would want. I know I don't want songs that would make my family cry more but I do want songs that speak of Jesus and His forgiveness.

I usually run the sound desk at my church for funerals so the topic is one I've often thought about. I don't honestly know what songs I'd like at my funeral. Truth be told since I won't be there to hear them I'm not sure it matters all that much - choosing them in advance would be about little more than sparing my survivors the job. My family is very small (no kids and what little immediate family I have is scattered around the world), so if my wife dies before me I'd probably end up pretty much getting whatever the minister selected. Another thing I've often wondered - when a church member dies our minister usually asks if he can see their Bible, so he can see which passages were important to them and prepare a meditation accordingly. If he looked at my Bible he'd see a pristine book that is clearly very seldom used - I do the vast majority of my Bible reading online. He could use the passages I've highlighted as a clue, if he could unlock my laptop (almost impossible) or my tablet (possible, but unlikely).

A few years ago I attended a funeral. I don't think I'd ever even met the man who died, but he was the husband of one of the ladies who came to our house group at church and my wife and I wanted to support her. So we attended, fearing it would be very sparsely attended, only to find we could barely get in the place because it was so busy. He wasn't a religious man so the funeral was short and to the point, and as we all filed out he had the final song from Monty Python's "Life of Brian" movie. The title is "always look on the bright side of life". It was quite something to see so many people smirking and chuckling as they left the funeral, as a result of the song the deceased had chosen to wrap up.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
when I was a chaplain in a nursing home I did a lot of funerals. MOst of them don't reflect the people the service is for. I would prefer to be cremated and have my ashes spread out at a lake or ocean. Just say a few words, sprinkle the ashes and then go eat some good food.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I want to have a closed casket service and have the organist to play ‘Pop goes the weasel’ slowly over and over. :;;D:

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
when I was a chaplain in a nursing home I did a lot of funerals. MOst of them don't reflect the people the service is for. I would prefer to be cremated and have my ashes spread out at a lake or ocean. Just say a few words, sprinkle the ashes and then go eat some good food.

The funerals I've worked at church have typically been very reflective of the person who died. I remember attending my grandmother's funeral (she and I were never close, it was more about supporting my parents than any sense of loss at her passing) and finding myself listening to the speaker thinking I didn't recognize the woman he was describing. That was a curious experience.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
This one I actually have prepared to be played.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
This has always been on my mind. For years. I'm determined to have it

Jerlene

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Even though I'm in my early thirties, I've had my funeral music picked out for years. I want to do as much as I can while I'm alive. I don't want my loved ones to have to do all of the work. It takes a lot to plan a funeral. Anyway, here is my list of funeral songs. I'll probably switch it up over time but in the last several years, I haven't. Feel free to take some for your funeral. lol

Hear You Me by Jimmy Eat World
My Immortal by Evanescence
Such Great Heights by The Postal Service
Broken by Seether ft. Amy Lee
In My Place by Coldplay
In My Veins by Andrew Belle
A Thousand Years by Christina Perri
Fallen by Sarah McLachlan
What Hurts The Most by Rascal Flatts
Because of You by Kelly Clarkson
If I Could Be Like That by 3 Door Down
Perfect by Simple Plan
You Found Me by The Fray
Take On Me by A-Ha
You by Switchfoot

I had a playlist on Youtube but it looks like a lot of the songs were deleted.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The first funeral I went to was my mom's and I was only 24 and had no part of the funeral arrangements. My dad didn't pick any music so none was supposed to be played. However, the funeral home accidentally started playing one song and I could hardly contain myself. I just remember the heart wrenching pain and trying with all my might to hold back a flood of tears. I don't want music played at my funeral. Something about music sometimes.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The first funeral I went to was my mom's and I was only 24 and had no part of the funeral arrangements. My dad didn't pick any music so none was supposed to be played. However, the funeral home accidentally started playing one song and I could hardly contain myself. I just remember the heart wrenching pain and trying with all my might to hold back a flood of tears. I don't want music played at my funeral. Something about music sometimes.

Aw. Music certainly does pull at the heartstrings! I'm sorry about your mom's passing :(

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Amen brother. I would never have a song played at my funeral or wish to hear any at others funerals, especially if it has sad depressing lyrics or an erie chord progression. Amazing grace is probably the only exception :)

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amen brother. I would never have a song played at my funeral or wish to hear any at others funerals, especially if it has sad depressing lyrics or an erie chord progression. Amazing grace is probably the only exception :)

That song might make me lose it too. Come to think of it, it is kind of weird to try and hold back tears at a funeral? lol

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
That song might make me lose it too. Come to think of it, it is kind of weird to try and hold back tears at a funeral? lol
I'm a sucker for heart strings, I hide my tears during the cheesy parts of movies and sometimes have to look up and think of something else so I don't show emotion to the people around lol family members assume I am strong emotionally but the truth is I am overly sensitive...
When I found out my mom had stage for cancer I held it in, I waited until I was alone in the shower and balled my eyes out and could hardly even breathe, this lasted for a good 30 minutes of struggling to catch a breathe. I am strong now with dealing with this news, God is strengthening me, it's a blessing because it's drawing my mom closer to God and giving her more clarity and peace than ever before, it brings me to peace, and Amazing Grace is a peaceful and comforting song :)

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a sucker for heart strings, I hide my tears during the cheesy parts of movies and sometimes have to look up and think of something else so I don't show emotion to the people around lol family members assume I am strong emotionally but the truth is I am overly sensitive...
When I found out my mom had stage for cancer I held it in, I waited until I was alone in the shower and balled my eyes out and could hardly even breathe, this lasted for a good 30 minutes of struggling to catch a breathe. I am strong now with dealing with this news, God is strengthening me, it's a blessing because it's drawing my mom closer to God and giving her more clarity and peace than ever before, it brings me to peace, and Amazing Grace is a peaceful and comforting song :)

We sound the same when it comes to emotions. I am exactly like that too. Andrew, I am so sad to hear that you are going through that with your mom. Do you mind saying what kind of cancer and if she is getting better? My mom died of lung cancer, and yes, she smoked. My dad got diagnosed with cancer a couple of years after she died. He had multiple myeloma and died about six months later. I could hardly believe that happened to my family. I am glad to hear you are getting stronger that is amazing!

Top Bottom