CH Cash
      (335,355 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.06%
      Quote Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
      chicken fajita's at Mi Pueblo (a Mexican restaurant). My wife and son also went with me. First time in a while we have done that.
      I love Mexican food. Okay, I admit I gorge on the tortilla chips and salsa and then don't want my meal But there's always room for fried ice cream.
      "Christianity does not require more work but more trust." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (15,497,398 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      17.65%
      Thinking about my walk for tomorrow and where I want to go. I really hope the light isn't too hard, I don't plan on hauling my heavy camera gear but if the light looks OK I might just take my small camera. I just wish I could find the polarising filter I could use with it.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

Valued Contributor
      Married

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (15,497,398 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      17.65%
      Also found out about a way to make picture frames that seems much easier than I was expecting, and saves me needing to buy or make specific jigs and buy fancy gear. I think all I'm going to need is a wooden insert so I can make a zero clearance insert for my table saw and then I'm good to go.

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (335,355 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.06%
      Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
      Also found out about a way to make picture frames that seems much easier than I was expecting, and saves me needing to buy or make specific jigs and buy fancy gear. I think all I'm going to need is a wooden insert so I can make a zero clearance insert for my table saw and then I'm good to go.
      HEY! Could you do a How To in the Art & Media forum for the picture frames? That would be great!
      "Bearing fruit does not make you a branch. A branch is a branch because it grows from the vine." Pr. Jonathan Fisk
      "A Christian's life is not defined by what the Christian does. It is defined by Christ and what He has done for us." Pr. Rolf David Preus

ImaginaryDay2 is offline Expert Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Tired

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (5,693 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      46.42%
      Waiting to go home and eat, then to bed

Valued Contributor
      Married

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (15,497,398 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      17.65%
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      HEY! Could you do a How To in the Art & Media forum for the picture frames? That would be great!
      I can probably do something like that but it might be easier if people interested look at the same YouTube videos I've been watching

If you've got a load of tools it seems pretty easy. Without a table saw with a couple of jigs and a router it's probably not something to attempt (you could do it with a miter saw but then you couldn't do the splines that I've been exploring, so the frame would be weaker). Let me see how my first actual frame turns out and take it from there.

Next up, I want to approach a couple of local cabinet shops to see if they've got some cabinet grade plywood offcuts I can have free or cheap. I want to see if making frames out of plywood is a sensible proposition. For that I probably will want to use V-nails, not sure it's worth the effort to cut splines in plywood even if the wood will survive the process. That said I can probably use splines made of cheaper materials like pine to reinforce a plywood frame.

Valued Contributor
      Married

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (15,497,398 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      17.65%
      Nice long walk in the woods today. I wasn't sure whether I'd go because I didn't feel very energetic this morning but as soon as I got going I didn't want to finish. By the time I was done my Fitbit recorded something like 24,000 steps and 235 flights of stairs. It was tough today but I enjoyed it. During the course of the walk (around 4.5 hours) I took on 96 ounces of water and also did a bit of pruning and cutting where trails were getting overgrown. At one point I came across a branch about an inch thick that had fallen right across the trail at about chest height. These days I carry pruners and a folding saw when hiking so I was able to make short work of it.

Lämmchen is offline God's Lil Lamb
      Administrator
      Supporting Member
      Community Team
      Married
      Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (335,355 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      2.06%
      Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
      I can probably do something like that but it might be easier if people interested look at the same YouTube videos I've been watching

If you've got a load of tools it seems pretty easy. Without a table saw with a couple of jigs and a router it's probably not something to attempt (you could do it with a miter saw but then you couldn't do the splines that I've been exploring, so the frame would be weaker). Let me see how my first actual frame turns out and take it from there.

Next up, I want to approach a couple of local cabinet shops to see if they've got some cabinet grade plywood offcuts I can have free or cheap. I want to see if making frames out of plywood is a sensible proposition. For that I probably will want to use V-nails, not sure it's worth the effort to cut splines in plywood even if the wood will survive the process. That said I can probably use splines made of cheaper materials like pine to reinforce a plywood frame.
      My daughter is supposed to make 3 shadow boxes for my nephew's army collection of things he's traded with other military men when he was in Iraq and Afghanistan. We are looking for an easy way to go about this. She has all the right tools we just need direction.

jsimms435 is offline Expert Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      28.87%
      Doing my notes from yesterday. Even though I haven't felt well lately I have been very productive lately.

Valued Contributor
      Married

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (15,497,398 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      17.65%
      Quote Originally Posted by Lämmchen View Post
      My daughter is supposed to make 3 shadow boxes for my nephew's army collection of things he's traded with other military men when he was in Iraq and Afghanistan. We are looking for an easy way to go about this. She has all the right tools we just need direction.
      Shadow boxes would be a little tricker, simply because of the depth of the boxes.

They aren't inherently difficult, just a matter of getting the corners to align and the extra depth makes it more important that they align just so or you have more work to do fixing the misaligned edges.

At its most simple you can use something like a pocket hole jig to drill pocket holes to secure everything together. They create a very strong joint but if the pieces of wood are large it can be a little fiddly to align them along their full length. What I've often done is use a smaller piece of wood held in place, then clamped a piece of 2x4 to hold it where I need it, then held the actual piece of wood against the clamped 2x4 so I can get a couple of pocket screws into place.

If you've got access to a table saw then what you could try doing (this is the spline trick I've been looking at) is to cut the miters on your box, then clamp them against a fence such that the mitered edges rest on the table of the saw (you'll probably want a 45-degree wedge glued to the fence to support the pieces), you can make a few passes through the corners at intervals. That will give you a small number of cuts that are the width of the saw blade. Then cut strips of wood the width of the blade. Cut them to match the width of the aligning slots, glue them into place as you align the miters (the splines will help align the miters, which is good), then cut the surplus off and sand it smooth.

Two Youtube channels I've found really helpful are WWMM (wood working for mere mortals) and Wood Work Web.

11. Likes Lämmchen liked this post