SENT ME NOT TO BAPTIZE

Doug

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
John 1:33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

John 1:34 And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.

One of the reasons for John's baptism was to identify Jesus as the son of God, on whom, Israel was to believe on for eternal life.
John also was preaching that Jesus would baptize Israel with the Holy Ghost. The new covenant promised that the Holy Spirit would be given to Israel. Jeremiah 31:31 Ezekiel 36:27

Acts 2:32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

Acts 2:33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

On the day of Pentecost, Peter spoke to Israel of the promise of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call.

Peter commanded baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and the promise of the Holy Spirit. Remission of sins, and the Holy Spirit were promised under Israel's new covenant.

Acts 19:3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.

John was baptizing for repentance for the remission of sins. This is what the disciples of Ephesus were baptized unto.

Acts 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

Israel was to repent, and believe on Christ Jesus.

Acts 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

These disciples were baptized after the manner that Peter was preaching to Israel at Pentecost in Acts 2:38.

Acts 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

Just as Peter preached, the disciples received the Holy Ghost.

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Mark 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

These disciples, believing on Jesus, and being baptized, also spoke with tongues, just as Jesus said in Mark 16:17.

Acts 24:14 But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:

Paul had knowledge of the law and the prophets, which spoke of the new covenant, and promise of the Holy Ghost, which would be given to Israel. Paul also upheld the gospel of the circumcision, which Peter preached, and the commanded baptism.

1 Corinthians 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

John was sent to baptize, Paul was not.

Paul baptized because as long as Israel was promised the coming kingdom, baptism was commanded. Israel began to be diminished, and the coming kingdom was delayed, so Paul stopped baptizing. Romans 11:12

In the future, baptisms will be resumed, Israel will be restored, and will enter the kingdom. Mark 16:15 Matthew 28:19 Luke 12:32

Top Bottom