Are Christians obligated to keep the Sabbath?

FredVB

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Jesus is our Sabbath Rest.

We no longer have to observe special days.

The old law with the ceremonial works and the Sabbath were just a shadow of Jesus.

Jesus is the light and there are no shadows in the light.

We no longer observe shadows; we now have the Man who made that shadow.

The Sabbath was about Jesus.

All holy days were about Jesus. We do not have to observe any special days; we only have to observe Jesus all day every day.

Observing special days as something one believes they have to do are weak and worthless rudimentary notions.

Observing special days were a shadow of what was coming, Jesus Christ.

See Galatians 4:9, 10; Romans 14:5; Colossians 2:16, 17; Hebrews 8:5; Hebrews 10:1.

Jesus is our Rest

Matthew 11:28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

If you are observing Jesus all day every single day, great for you. Indeed! I don't manage that and I am not meeting any people I ever see doing this.

Still, no one ever observed Sabbath rightly before Jesus came. Only with Jesus is it possible, for only in Jesus is there that rest.

I don't say Sabbath must be observed for salvation, or even that we will stand before God with not observing the Sabbath brought up against us. But Sabbath was made for msn. I do see it is better for us in drawing toward Yahweh with observing Sabbath for our rest.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you are observing Jesus all day every single day, great for you. Indeed! I don't manage that and I am not meeting any people I ever see doing this.

Still, no one ever observed Sabbath rightly before Jesus came. Only with Jesus is it possible, for only in Jesus is there that rest.

I don't say Sabbath must be observed for salvation, or even that we will stand before God with not observing the Sabbath brought up against us. But Sabbath was made for msn. I do see it is better for us in drawing toward Yahweh with observing Sabbath for our rest.

You mean as in a literal day to do nothing? What if your boss only gave you Mondays off to do nothing?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
You mean as in a literal day to do nothing? What if your boss only gave you Mondays off to do nothing?
I dont think that God cares about the day so much as you setting aside time for Him and only Him, that should be every day but to have a day of rest allows us to focus on God and recharge our bodies.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Okay... one reason I left the evangelical church (although I might hear such things elsewhere) is for what I term "bumper sticker Christianity"

"Jesus is our rest"
"We only have to observe Jesus all day every day"

I have no concept of what that means, and I would suggest that without some exegetical process it remains just that - words without meaning except to those that said them. One post mentions scripture from Romans and Colossians. In context, those passages address the very things the post argues against - that one who observes days and ordinances and laws not pass judgment on those who do not, and vice-versa. If one keeps a "Sabbath day" (which a poster who is against such things doesn't clearly define in my experience), it ought not be judged by one who does not. Also, I would suggest that "we only have to observe Jesus all day every day" in itself could be a form of 'Sabbath keeping' - i.e. an ordinance/law to the one who practices such a thing, and cannot be found in scripture

Last edited:

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I dont think that God cares about the day so much as you setting aside time for Him and only Him, that should be every day but to have a day of rest allows us to focus on God and recharge our bodies.

Well, some people are retired and then that theory can goes to the wayside.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay... one reason I left the evangelical church (although I might hear such things elsewhere) is for what I term "bumper sticker Christianity"

"Jesus is our rest"
"We only have to observe Jesus all day every day"

I have no concept of what that means, and I would suggest that without some exegetical process it remains just that - words without meaning except to those that said them. One post mentions scripture from Romans and Colossians. In context, those passages address the very things the post argues against - that one who observes days and ordinances and laws not pass judgment on those who do not, and vice-versa. If one keeps a "Sabbath day" (which a poster who is against such things doesn't clearly define in my experience), it ought not be judged by one who does not. Also, I would suggest that "we only have to observe Jesus all day every day" in itself could be a form of 'Sabbath keeping' - i.e. an ordinance/law to the one who practices such a thing, and cannot be found in scripture

The Sabbath day was about Jesus.

It was a shadow of Jesus.

Jesus has come and we no longer go by shadows.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Well, some people are retired and then that theory can goes to the wayside.
Oh OK I am retired and I still need to recharge guess I am a one off.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh OK I am retired and I still need to recharge guess I am a one off.

You can probably call a 'do nothing day' any time and as many days as you want?

In the Old Testament, the Sabbath was a day one would be in trouble if they did something.

The people could not even cook or lift a heavy object on the Sabbath.

Jesus is our Sabbath rest, we are saved by faith, and not of by works. A no work rule was in place for the Sabbath day. Faith and no works save us; however, Jesus says it is unlawful to do evil on the no work day of the Sabbath, and Jesus said it was lawful to do good on the NO WORK day of the Sabbath, see Luke 6:9.

We are not to judge anyone by a Sabbath anymore because it was a shadow.

It no longer is a regulation because it is a shadow.

Observing the Sabbath neither makes God glad or angry if it is observed or not.

What we have to observe is Jesus all day every day.

That means we have to live through his Spirit.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
We are not to judge anyone by a Sabbath anymore because it was a shadow.

Using your own measure (Romans 14:5, Colossians 2:16) neither are we to judge the one that keeps it - he is keeping it out of a sense of duty, right or wrong, until he might come to know that Christ has abolished the Law.

It no longer is a regulation because it is a shadow.

Agreed

Observing the Sabbath neither makes God glad or angry if it is observed or not.

Agreed

What we have to observe is Jesus all day every day.

But now we are back to keeping observances/law. How is this different than one who keeps the Sabbath? Both appear to be out of a sense of duty

That means we have to live through his Spirit.[/QUOTE]

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Using your own measure (Romans 14:5, Colossians 2:16) neither are we to judge the one that keeps it - he is keeping it out of a sense of duty, right or wrong, until he might come to know that Christ has abolished the Law.
If someone believes it is necessary to observe the Sabbath, then the Bible warns they have fallen from grace.

But now we are back to keeping observances/law. How is this different than one who keeps the Sabbath? Both appear to be out of a sense of duty

We have to obey Jesus that is how we remain in his love.

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
I think in principle it's a good thing - but it's only principle. In other words, it doesn't have to be Sunday. Nonetheless, some businesses like Chick-fil-a close on Sunday.

RichWh1

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
The Jewish Sabbath has not changed. It is still Friday sundown to Saturday sundown.
The sabbath rest we read of in the New Testament is the rest we have in the finished work of Jesus Christ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
The sabbath rest we read of in the New Testament is the rest we have in the finished work of Jesus Christ.

What do you mean?

RichWh1

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
What do you mean?

Therefore, since it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly had good news preached to them failed to enter because of disobedience, He again fixes a certain day, “Today,” saying through David after so long a time just as has been said before, “ Today if you hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts .” So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His.
Hebrews 4:6-7,9-10 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Hebrews 4:6-7,9-10&version=NASB

The Sabbath is part of the Law of Moses. When Jesus said 'it is finished' He was saying the requirements of the Law were fulfilled.

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
Therefore, since it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly had good news preached to them failed to enter because of disobedience, He again fixes a certain day, “Today,” saying through David after so long a time just as has been said before, “ Today if you hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts .” So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His.
Hebrews 4:6-7,9-10 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Hebrews 4:6-7,9-10&version=NASB

The Sabbath is part of the Law of Moses. When Jesus said 'it is finished' He was saying the requirements of the Law were fulfilled.

Well, certainly we don't live under the law - but the principals remain.

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
No
RichWh1,
re: "When Jesus said 'it is finished' He was saying the requirements of the Law were fulfilled."

To what law are you referring? And what are the implications of this fulfillment with regard to the requirements of this law?

Last edited:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Some protestant groups keep Saturday as Sabbath but Christians are not obligated to keep Saturday as a Sabbath.

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
No
MoreCoffee,
re: "...Christians are not obligated to keep Saturday as a Sabbath."

Sure they are. Hebrews 4:9 - "It is therefore the duty of the people of God to keep the Sabbath." Unless of course you think the phrase "people of God" only refers to the Israelites

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
MoreCoffee,
re: "...Christians are not obligated to keep Saturday as a Sabbath."

Sure they are. Hebrews 4:9 - "It is therefore the duty of the people of God to keep the Sabbath." Unless of course you think the phrase "people of God" only refers to the Israelites

I can't help but notice how truncated the quote you give is.
Therefore, we should be afraid, lest the promise of entering into his rest may be relinquished, and some of you may be judged to be lacking. For this was announced to us in a similar manner as to them. But the mere hearing of the word did not benefit them, since it was not joined together with a faith in those things that they heard. For we who have believed shall enter into rest, in the same manner as he said: "So it is as I have sworn in my wrath: They shall not enter into my rest!" And certainly, this is when the works from the foundation of the world have been finished. For, in a certain place, he spoke about the seventh day in this manner: "And God rested on the seventh day from all his works." And in this place again: "They shall not enter into my rest!" Therefore, this is because certain ones remain who are to enter into it, and those to whom it was announced first did not enter into it, because of unbelief. Again, he defines a certain day, after so much time, saying in David, "Today," just as it was stated above, "If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts." For if Jesus had offered them rest, he would never have spoken, afterward, about another day. And so, there remains a Sabbath of rest for the people of God. For whoever has entered into his rest, the same has also rested from his works, just as God did from his. Therefore, let us hasten to enter into that rest, so that no one may fall into the same example of unbelief. For the Word of God is living and effective: more piercing than any two-edged sword, reaching to the division even between the soul and the spirit, even between the joints and the marrow, and so it discerns the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And there is no created thing that is invisible to his sight. For all things are naked and open to the eyes of him, about whom we are speaking.
Hebrews 4:1-13
I am curious to know where you got the quote that you used. It isn't from any English bible translation that I have ever seen.

RichWh1

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
RichWh1,
re: "When Jesus said 'it is finished' He was saying the requirements of the Law were fulfilled."

To what law are you referring? And what are the implications of this fulfillment with regard to the requirements of this law?

The law of sacrifice for sin The Mosaic Law
The Sabbath was for Israel not Gentiles

Top Bottom