Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I don't know why it popped into my head but I remembered that I had recorded an interview I did of my husband's grandmother many years ago so I could put together a booklet for her to give out as Christmas gifts. That was my gift to her. They booklets turned out to be a hit and in every one of them she wrote "To my favorite grandchild." :rofl3:

I remembered that my mother-in-law helped me do the interview questions and both my mother-in-law and the grandmother have passed. I have no idea why this all popped into my head but it became like an obsession for me to find that cassette tape and make a copy of it so that my husband's family could hear their voices again.

Yesterday I put batteries in my husband's boombox (we don't have the cord) and set up my mic next to the speaker and recorded a snippet as a test. It worked. I was able to use that audio clip to import it into a video with a photo I chose and then uploaded it to YouTube. I gave the private link to my sisters-in-law, niece, nephew, daughter and husband. The first one to listen wrote that she was crying because she had missed the sound of her mother's voice...the one with the strong character instead of the one affected by dementia. Her sister was at work so couldn't listen at the time but she was nearly in tears from the thought of hearing her family's voices again.

Today I'm going to work on getting Side A put up on YouTube. The boombox broke after it finished recording side A so now I have to buy a new cassette player to finish this up!! It's frustrating but it will be worth the expense to make the family happy. There are so many who would love to hear the interview even if my dog is whining in the background!

So if you ever feel the need to do something...go ahead and do it. Sometime might appreciate your efforts :hearts:

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Awesome! The funeral parlor put one together with every ones contributions of my uncle years ago and it was priceless.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Great idea Lamm! My mom did something similar with her grandmother (my great-grandmother) years ago - I guess I was a teenager. We set up a camcorder (LOL!) and my mom had a bunch of questions for her about family history and different things. I still have the videotape in storage, and the last time I watched it was still in good shape. I'd never thought about a private YouTube upload, but that would be a terrific idea. I wonder if there's someone who could do a digital copy of that VHS, say on a flash drive? Something to look into. My mom's birthday is in a month or so - that would be so spectacular!

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Great idea Lamm! My mom did something similar with her grandmother (my great-grandmother) years ago - I guess I was a teenager. We set up a camcorder (LOL!) and my mom had a bunch of questions for her about family history and different things. I still have the videotape in storage, and the last time I watched it was still in good shape. I'd never thought about a private YouTube upload, but that would be a terrific idea. I wonder if there's someone who could do a digital copy of that VHS, say on a flash drive? Something to look into. My mom's birthday is in a month or so - that would be so spectacular!

Walgreens has the option to transfer VHS to DVD. Maybe then you can transfer that to a flash drive?

Top Bottom